The Student Room Group

MA Education vs PGCE vs MA History?

Hi there,

I really want to be a teacher but I've heard how stressful the hours and workload can be in the UK (forums on TES/TSR and have also spoken to teachers I know in person). I have never heard so many people so adamantly and actively discourage people from entering a field before. This aspect is really putting me off and if it is as bad as it sounds I am not ready to put my mental and physical health at risk. Anyway this isn't the point of my post!

Now I'm considering jobs related to education that aren't being a teacher e.g. education department in the heritage and cultural sector (museums/botanical gardens in particular). If I'm unable to get into the education department (which is ideal), I would be very very happy working in other departments in a museum e.g. curator, art handler etc as well.

My question is which degree would help open doors to education AND other departments of public institutions? I say 'AND' because doing something education related is my ideal job but just after a quick search these jobs seem very few and far between. Therefore would doing a History masters (or even Art History/Museum Studies?) give me more options in the museum, even if not specifically education related? That being said, I know museum jobs in general are very competitive anyway.

Sorry if this post seems quite scatty, I had my heart set on teaching. It has been the only career that I really felt I had a passion for but in the current climate of the UK education sector I really don't think I would be able to hack it. Now I'm trying to find out what I want to do for the rest of my life and if I want to start a degree this September I need to get my application in very soon.

EDIT: Forgot to add that I have just completed a BA in Architecture. Also if there's a better place to post this please tell me and I'll post there and delete here thanks
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi there,

I really want to be a teacher but I've heard how stressful the hours and workload can be in the UK (forums on TES/TSR and have also spoken to teachers I know in person). I have never heard so many people so adamantly and actively discourage people from entering a field before. This aspect is really putting me off and if it is as bad as it sounds I am not ready to put my mental and physical health at risk. Anyway this isn't the point of my post!

Now I'm considering jobs related to education that aren't being a teacher e.g. education department in the heritage and cultural sector (museums/botanical gardens in particular). If I'm unable to get into the education department (which is ideal), I would be very very happy working in other departments in a museum e.g. curator, art handler etc as well.

My question is which degree would help open doors to education AND other departments of public institutions? I say 'AND' because doing something education related is my ideal job but just after a quick search these jobs seem very few and far between. Therefore would doing a History masters (or even Art History/Museum Studies?) give me more options in the museum, even if not specifically education related? That being said, I know museum jobs in general are very competitive anyway.

Sorry if this post seems quite scatty, I had my heart set on teaching. It has been the only career that I really felt I had a passion for but in the current climate of the UK education sector I really don't think I would be able to hack it. Now I'm trying to find out what I want to do for the rest of my life and if I want to start a degree this September I need to get my application in very soon.

EDIT: Forgot to add that I have just completed a BA in Architecture. Also if there's a better place to post this please tell me and I'll post there and delete here thanks
Have you had any experience in school? Get some school experience before you make a decision on what you would like to do. Yes people moan about teaching but it’s not all doom and gloom.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by bwilliams
Have you had any experience in school? Get some school experience before you make a decision on what you would like to do. Yes people moan about teaching but it’s not all doom and gloom.

Thanks for your reply. I have some school experience lined up next week. But to be honest even if I loved it, I wouldn't be able to justify 7.30am-7pm days and long hours on weekends for the rest of my career. Are you a teacher?

Actually I've just found a website gem.org.uk which is exactly what I want to get into and had a look at what degree the people in the Career Case Studies did. One mentioned a Museum and Galleries Education course at UCL which looks really good.
Reply 4
Worth keeping in mind you get MA credits with a PGCE/PGCE. I did this and converted them to a MA Education.
Original post by catcatcatherine
Thanks for your reply. I have some school experience lined up next week. But to be honest even if I loved it, I wouldn't be able to justify 7.30am-7pm days and long hours on weekends for the rest of my career. Are you a teacher?

Actually I've just found a website gem.org.uk which is exactly what I want to get into and had a look at what degree the people in the Career Case Studies did. One mentioned a Museum and Galleries Education course at UCL which looks really good.

Yes I am. When you go in next week, go in with an open mind and you may change your decision. Yes it is long days and does take up a bit of the weekend but it is a great job.
It is a bit of a scatty post! You first need to work out what you want to do by getting some work experience. Most (all) academic degrees will give you a load of transferable skills which can be applied to any field really but the hard work comes into play in terms of working your way into the field and working your way up. Plenty of people make career changes without doing additional degrees though you sometimes may need additional vocational qualifications. I don't think you need another degree at this stage. Apply for jobs that interest you or volunteer in the outreach sector for a bit and go from there.
Original post by catcatcatherine
Hi there,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending