The Student Room Group

PGCE vs. NQT?

I'm nearing the end of my PGCE and (all going well!) I am set to become an NQT come September. I hear so many differing opinions about which year is 'harder' and wondered if anyone could offer any insight regarding the difference between the two stages?

For clarification: I don't see it as a competition of 'who has it harder' because I think it's clear that both stages can prove particularly demanding. It is quite disheartening to feel like this exhaustion and stress isn't about to relieve itself any time soon however.

My experience throughout the PGCE hasn't been as challenging as the majority suggest it is, however I deal very well under high-pressure/stressful environments. That being said, I don't have a life outside the PGCE and I am starting to wonder if this is going to become more of an issue come NQT. (I don't want to always not have a life).

At current I teach 16 hours a week (full time is 22 hours at my school) which implies that next year I am only expecting one extra hour of teaching time per week. In addition, I share a form group where I lead form time for 3/5 days a week, I attend all parents evenings for the student classes I am teaching and I plan their lessons and mark their books. I am on duty (pre-/post- school, lunch and break) one day a week which is the standard for full-time teachers at my school. I also attend all departmental meetings, additional KS4 revision sessions and partake in CPD at least one hour per week. (This is all on top of two hours a week dedicated to mentor meetings and conducting a research project).

As far as I am aware, the key differences are that as an NQT you have a form, a classroom (can't wait), a larger time table (80% of a full time member of staffs), you're responsible for reports, data and parent contacts... although I'm sure there must be more.

The most stressful element of my PGCE is the evidence folders and uni-related tasks/assignments so I did feel that a large weight would be lifted from my shoulders once completed, but now I'm concerned that weight is going to be replaced with another.

Does anyone have any advice/an opinion/some feedback? I understand these things are subjective and are moulded strongly around experience, but I'm looking for a little clarity if anything.
I'd love to tell you that your NQT year is going to be a breeze but it will not be. It's your first year on the job and it is going to be stressful, hence the 20% time to get things done. However, in a good school you will receive support and it is very important that you ask for help when you need it, how little or big that help may be.

It is obviously different for everyone, however, I can tell you that the majority of people will find the NQT year more stressful than PGCE. Although, it will be worth it after. This is mainly due to the responsibility you will have, as a PGCE student the responsibility never really ends with you as you are not a paid employee of the school, the class teacher holds the majority of responsibility. Suddenly, that person is you.

My best advise is to find out as much information as you can about classes for September. Use the summer break wisely. I am not saying spend everyday working, just an hour our two every now and then. Working in the holidays isn't for everyone, but the more prep you do in the summer the more weekends you will have to yourself in term time. After the NQT year it will gradually become, not easier but more routine and you will become more efficient at what you do. It is similar to learning to drive, you only really start to develop your own style and really understand the ropes once you're qualified.
Original post by HanPsy
I'm nearing the end of my PGCE and (all going well!) I am set to become an NQT come September. I hear so many differing opinions about which year is 'harder' and wondered if anyone could offer any insight regarding the difference between the two stages?

For clarification: I don't see it as a competition of 'who has it harder' because I think it's clear that both stages can prove particularly demanding. It is quite disheartening to feel like this exhaustion and stress isn't about to relieve itself any time soon however.

My experience throughout the PGCE hasn't been as challenging as the majority suggest it is, however I deal very well under high-pressure/stressful environments. That being said, I don't have a life outside the PGCE and I am starting to wonder if this is going to become more of an issue come NQT. (I don't want to always not have a life).

At current I teach 16 hours a week (full time is 22 hours at my school) which implies that next year I am only expecting one extra hour of teaching time per week. In addition, I share a form group where I lead form time for 3/5 days a week, I attend all parents evenings for the student classes I am teaching and I plan their lessons and mark their books. I am on duty (pre-/post- school, lunch and break) one day a week which is the standard for full-time teachers at my school. I also attend all departmental meetings, additional KS4 revision sessions and partake in CPD at least one hour per week. (This is all on top of two hours a week dedicated to mentor meetings and conducting a research project).

As far as I am aware, the key differences are that as an NQT you have a form, a classroom (can't wait), a larger time table (80% of a full time member of staffs), you're responsible for reports, data and parent contacts... although I'm sure there must be more.

The most stressful element of my PGCE is the evidence folders and uni-related tasks/assignments so I did feel that a large weight would be lifted from my shoulders once completed, but now I'm concerned that weight is going to be replaced with another.

Does anyone have any advice/an opinion/some feedback? I understand these things are subjective and are moulded strongly around experience, but I'm looking for a little clarity if anything.

Not to pick hairs, it’s not 80% of a full time teacher. It’s 90%, as a non NQT teacher has 10% PPA anyway. So it’s 80% of full timetable ( ie every possible lesson in the timetable).
While the training experience is supposed to be standard, you will get differing experiences from school to school and there really is no way to say what type of experience you will have unless you know the school you will be working in.

Fortunately I have a job secured for next year in a really supportive school where resources are shared, communication is good, and mentoring is tight. There is an NQT and an RQT in the department, as well as experienced teachers. From what the NQT tells me, everything becomes easier once you are free from the restrictions of the ITT programme. Though, make sure you are in a school where workload is taken seriously and resources are shared and expectations are on the pupils making progress. Some schools take the approach that teachers should be planning in minute detail, and submitting plans 48 hours in advance for all lessons (with evaluations) even in NQT year - don't work in a school like that, and you'll probably have a really nice year.

Ultimately, the PGCE is difficult not so much because of workload, but because of the inconvenience of assignments and uni days. It just chops up the rhythm too much, and makes settling in to the schools a bit less easy. I think as NQTs we will be able to establish ourselves quickly and get a good rhythm going. Once in the swing of things, teaching is quite a fine job (provided you actually enjoy working with children).

Good luck with securing a job for next year (if you don't already have one).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending