The Student Room Group

OCR Spec B (Avery Hill) Geography

I received from my school a few sheets from the examiner about the June exams. It says that Papers One & Two will have these topics:
People and place
Climate, Environment and People
People, Work and Development

and for Papers Three and Four:
Water, Landforms and People

Am I right in thinking that this means I do not need to revise case studies for Water Landforms and People as they won't come up in the first exam?

I made a list of the Water case studies:
Water Cycle
Water Supply in the UK
Aquifers in London
Dam on the River Coa, Portugal
UK Drought 2006-2007
Lybia, Great Manmade River Project
Mozambique Floods
Small Scale Water Supply, Nepal
The Grand Canyon, USA
Okavango Delta, Botswana
The Dorset Coast, UK
Spurn Point, UK
Presque Isle State Park, USA
Local Sea Defences

Should I revise them case studies, or won't they come up?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
To be on the safe side I'd quickly look through all of 'em and try remembering like 3-4 things from each one, if you can.
Reply 2
I am doing the same course as you. OCR have done this every year. Do not waste your time revising Water, Landforms and People for Paper1/2!
Reply 3
Plato123
I am doing the same course as you. OCR have done this every year. Do not waste your time revising Water, Landforms and People for Paper1/2!

Ok. Also will case studies be in Paper3/4 ? And Im not totally sure about the papers is this right?:
Paper 1 (Foundation)
Paper 2 (Higher)
Paper 3 (Foundation)
Paper 4 (Higher)

So if im doing higher I just do 2 and 4?
Reply 4
Lethal`
Ok. Also will case studies be in Paper3/4 ? And Im not totally sure about the papers is this right?:
Paper 1 (Foundation)
Paper 2 (Higher)
Paper 3 (Foundation)
Paper 4 (Higher)

So if im doing higher I just do 2 and 4?

Lethal, you're correct, if you're doing the higher paper then you're just doing paper 2 and 4!! Revise the case studies for the second paper, because you can use them in your answer. For example, you can say that (country) did (something) to prevent flooding and it wasn't succeful, therefore you're not going to use that method to prevent flooding.. it's important that you learn them, but maybe not as detailed as the case studies for the 1st paper!! Good luck!!
Reply 5
you don't necessarily (sorry for the spelling) need case studies in paper 3/4 as paper 3/4 is a problem solving paper. but you can relate to a case study to back up your points as an example where it's been done and been successful if that makes sense...
Reply 6
there are loads of case studies to remember, so i'm only remembering 2/3 from each unit in detail

is this a good idea?
Reply 7
2/3 is more than enough!!
Reply 8
I seriously need help with case study's. I dont seem to have any? Any websites and any resources?? Please Help..
Reply 9
saveit132
I seriously need help with case study's. I dont seem to have any? Any websites and any resources?? Please Help..

There are some case studies this website:
http://geobytesgcse.blogspot.com
Reply 10
^^OCR B Revision Guide!!
Reply 11
Thamizhan
^^OCR B Revision Guide!!

I have got that revision Guide. CGP right? But, they dont seem to have the ones i am studying. They only have two that i am studying. Thanks for help anyway. I am kind of screwed.
Reply 12
saveit132
I have got that revision Guide. CGP right? But, they dont seem to have the ones i am studying. They only have two that i am studying. Thanks for help anyway. I am kind of screwed.

Well, they might not have the ones you studied at school, however I think it would be worth revising the ones in the guide because you can use those in the exam, too.:biggrin:
Reply 13
Thamizhan
Well, they might not have the ones you studied at school, however I think it would be worth revising the ones in the guide because you can use those in the exam, too.:biggrin:

Are you completely sure? Because I dont want to screw up my Geography Exam as i am predicted an A but i would like better that probably. :rolleyes:

Also would it enough by revising the points and remembering them as i have a pretty good memory? Also it is the CGP book right? Green one? Page 9 Bangaldesh cyclone disaster? Quick reply please..
Reply 14
saveit132
Are you completely sure? Because I dont want to screw up my Geography Exam as i am predicted an A but i would like better that probably. :rolleyes:

Also would it enough by revising the points and remembering them as i have a pretty good memory? Also it is the CGP book right? Green one? Page 9 Bangaldesh cyclone disaster? Quick reply please..

Yeah revise them and apply them as long they are relevant to the question. There's more than 1 correct case study to use for every case study question.
Reply 15
Plato123
Yeah revise them and apply them as long they are relevant to the question. There's more than 1 correct case study to use for every case study question.

Yes on page 9 there are two case studies but little information, would that be enough points and information?

Also this is for the Avery Hill specification B you are talking about for Wednesday's Exam?

Sorry, but i am pretty desperate.
Reply 16
saveit132
Yes on page 9 there are two case studies but little information, would that be enough points and information?

Sorry, but i am pretty desperate.

Yeah revise them, just to be safe. However, if there are similar case studies with more points, revise them.
Reply 17
Plato123
Yeah revise them, just to be safe. However, if there are similar case studies with more points, revise them.

Also this is for the Avery Hill specification B you are talking about for Wednesday's Exam?
Reply 18
saveit132

Yeah, I have the same green CGP book!!:wink: I would advise you to revise those case studies, too. Because there is one case study for each IMP topic, which is going to turn up in the exam. Another thing, try to remember the location of the area you're talking about, either on world map or country map. They usually ask you to draw the location and by doing this you can earn marks easily. Good luck!!
Reply 19
saveit132

Yes, that is what I am referring to.

Latest