The Student Room Group

AQA AS Media Studies Exam !!!!!!!!! (moving image)

Hi
So... The exam is on Monday
:confused:
Im really really really scared just wondering if any one knows what it is going to be on?
Our teacher told us its deffinently going to be MOVING IMAGE !!!!
So thats not good.
Has any one revised for the documentary paper, i dont really know what im meant to be revising

Anyone ???

Thanks x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, ummmm for the documentary paper, my teacher said you just have to remember a few key scenes with analysis. for example the bank scene in bowling for columbine or the intro for triumph of the will. Oh and remember the john grierson definition: 'the creative treatment of actuality,' you get extra marks for mentioing this apparently.
Hope this helps. Good luck x
Reply 2
Yeah it is moving image.. Aarrgh, I'd so much rather have just had a film poster or something!

As for revision.. I'd revise your notes on the documentaries you've watched and maybe rewatch a couple if you can get hold of them. And yeah, mention theory and how they appeal to audiences/why and all that, you should be fine.
Reply 3
i cant believe i was never told this!!!!! if i hadnt come on here i wouldnt of known. how many films/documentaries etcare people planning to talk about? im thinking about 2 for each question unless it defo wants more
Reply 4
I'm resitting Med 1 tomorrow. Should be ok.

Just talk about issues and debates within the media eg. hybridity of genre, user generated content, ideology of institution, etc depending on what the text is.

This January is was the Borat movie trailer and a Borat pseudo UGC thing, was easy to write about.
Reply 5
CUFCrp
I'm resitting Med 1 tomorrow. Should be ok.

Just talk about issues and debates within the media eg. hybridity of genre, user generated content, ideology of institution, etc depending on what the text is.

This January is was the Borat movie trailer and a Borat pseudo UGC thing, was easy to write about.

oh dear im confused! wasnt the january one a poster for a video game??
Reply 6
Hold on a min are we talking med 1 or med 2 here??
Reply 7
i thought it was med 1
Reply 8
amylase55
oh dear im confused! wasnt the january one a poster for a video game??

Sorry! The January one was A2, but the equivalent paper.
Reply 9
How does anyone know that it is moving image? Also, what should I revise, our teacher went for the minimalistic approach of teaching, not very much!
Reply 10
ollie3_33
How does anyone know that it is moving image? Also, what should I revise, our teacher went for the minimalistic approach of teaching, not very much!

apparently our teachers were meant to find out about 6 weeks before the exam what kind of text it was and tell us. i wasnt told either, only found out from this thread about it! key concepts is the best thing to revise (MIGRAIN)
Key Concepts are gonna help whatever questions we get so review them.
Reply 12
Ok... right... I was going through the spec and reading up on all the dets about the key concepts and there some questions, I don't understand, anyone help?

language
1. what are the dominant images and iconography? what is their relevance?

narrative
1. how are the audience positioned in relation to the narrative?
2. what techniques of identification and alienation are employed?

genre
1. what are the major generic conventions of the text?
2. what are the major iconographic features in the text?
3. what are the major generic themes?
I always found moving image way easier than something written.

This is MED4 right? Or are you resitting MED1?

Make sure you revise your key concepts thoroughly and know the texts you studied really well.

Ollie- what the questions mean:

Language:
1. Focus on things like camera shots, colours, symbols and what these tell you about the text's stance on things.

Narrative:
1) Do they feel emotional or powerful because of the narrative? What kind of effect does it have on the audience basically.
2) I think this means how the audience can relate/not relate to the narrative and why.

Genre:
This basically all means the features of a genre and which are present.
Reply 14
hannah_dru
I always found moving image way easier than something written.

This is MED4 right? Or are you resitting MED1?

Make sure you revise your key concepts thoroughly and know the texts you studied really well.

Ollie- what the questions mean:

Language:
1. Focus on things like camera shots, colours, symbols and what these tell you about the text's stance on things.

Narrative:
1) Do they feel emotional or powerful because of the narrative? What kind of effect does it have on the audience basically.
2) I think this means how the audience can relate/not relate to the narrative and why.

Genre:
This basically all means the features of a genre and which are present.

btw... I think this is MED 1... I am doing that and MED 2 tomorrow, AS paper... year 12 :biggrin:
Oh yeah...duh MED4 is A2. Yeah its gotta be MED1. Good luck :smile:

I miss Media Studies :frown:
Reply 16
Yeah its AS Media 1 and 2 tommorrow. Well what can i say for MED1 just go over the key concepts and be ready for the moving image they give you. And for MED2 just go over the films you've studies and the advertising campaigns you studies. Ohh and just a quick note to the discussion above, January MED1 exam was a game poster for Hitman. But for tommorrow lets just hope it's not anything too hard even though i think moving image is harder in a way.

I was told that in MED1 just to talk about everything i could think of relating to the key concepts, so its pretty simple really, but just make sure the stuff you dont just ramble on about something you dont know. Show the examiner you have understanding of media and what the text means.

A quick update on the key concepts:

Representation - What the text represents.
Audience - The targetted audience
Institution - The company behind the text and/or who made it.
Media Language - The mis-en-scene, colours, lighting, camera,editing,shots and all that sort of stuff)
Ideology - What messages and values does it give?
Narrative - The narrative which the text follows
Genre - The grenre the text fits into

Thats in a nutshell. But for more in depth AS revision visit the following link for a free guide.

http://ilearn.azauk.co.uk/education/qualifications/a-level/media-studies/as/AS-MediaStudies-MED1-Revision.pdf

And for all you A2 people A2 Media 4 and 6 are on the following dates
MED4 12 June 08
MED6 12 June 08

So basically they are back to back. So Good luck for that aswell.

Thats it really. All the best everyone!!!
Reply 17
i'm doing the exams tomorow, but I need help:

-is the exam board AQA or WJEC?
-For ME2 is going to be that thing with 4 sections and you have to pick from those.
-What's best to revise for in ME2? Just eamples of films, news article and adverts?
-anyone know where to get some past papers from?
-also, when they 'give a recent example' how recent do they mean?
3hree
i'm doing the exams tomorow, but I need help:

-is the exam board AQA or WJEC?
-For ME2 is going to be that thing with 4 sections and you have to pick from those.
-What's best to revise for in ME2? Just eamples of films, news article and adverts?
-anyone know where to get some past papers from?
-also, when they 'give a recent example' how recent do they mean?

Type in "AS Media past papers" into Google and it'll bring up the AQA website, they have loads on there.
Reply 19
Antonia87
Type in "AS Media past papers" into Google and it'll bring up the AQA website, they have loads on there.

isn't the exam board WJEG, though?

Latest