The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I suppose it depends on whether the unis you apply to ask for points or grades.
I was thinking the same thing, I currently do AS English, Psychology, Scociology,in which I should get good grades and want to carry on at A level but I also do AS History which I want to drop as I'm struggling ,and would be over the moon if i even got a C. However, I will be picking up another AS alongside my 3 full A levels, being The Extended Project, do you think this will make up for History?
Reply 3
Well, say if it said AAB/pass - would it matter then?
joshm
Well, say if it said AAB/pass - would it matter then?

I'd assume not! I should be going to Bristol in October with an offer of AAB, and I don't even think they looked at the fact I only got a C in Psychology. God, I hated Psychology :P
Sheffield (I think) say in their prospectus that an AAB offer can be met with AAbb, or AAA=AAaa etc, so I guess it kinda counts in some places.
Reply 6
Ha Ha, I got a U in mine so had to quickly take up another one before sending of UCAs.
Reply 7
donteatthepie
Sheffield (I think) say in their prospectus that an AAB offer can be met with AAbb, or AAA=AAaa etc, so I guess it kinda counts in some places.
Aye, yeah that is Sheffield.

...As if I know that
donteatthepie

Well I never knew that! You'd think I'd have looked into that since I got an offer from there! Never mind :P
Reply 9
Introspectre
I'd assume not! I should be going to Bristol in October with an offer of AAB, and I don't even think they looked at the fact I only got a C in Psychology. God, I hated Psychology :P
How did I miss this? haha. Congratulations on the offer btw.

I hate History. My other subjects are Further Maths and Physics and History has no relevance to them, so I just lost all enthusiasm.
Reply 10
Yes, because if you fail to meet an offer, a high performance in a 4th AS level may affect the university's decision. Also, I know KCL and UCL set offers of AAAe for example.
joshm
How did I miss this? haha. Congratulations on the offer btw.

I hate History. My other subjects are Further Maths and Physics and History has no relevance to them, so I just lost all enthusiasm.

Thanks!
I think it's only right to have a subject that you hate!
Reply 12
No point in starting a new topic, so I got my results and got a D in History. However, I got A's in A2 Maths and AS Physics with pretty decent UMS, so I'm aiming for AAA (those + Further Maths). Do you think it will be neccessary to do another AS to increase the likelihood of me getting into a uni that gives offers similar to what I'm aiming for?
Well not really but depends on what u're aiming for. What are you aiming for?
Warwick required a C in the AS Level you dropped for Sociology, so probably will do for other subjects.
Reply 15
yea it is important in a way because it shows that you're an all rounder and can do well in anything. also some unis require a grade at As
Reply 16
The only AS I have a chance of doing next year is Electronics which isn't that different from what I'm doing atm (Maths, Further Maths and Physics). Do you think I'll have a chance at getting an offer for Maths or Physics from places like UCL and Warwick?
Reply 17
joshm
The only AS I have a chance of doing next year is Electronics which isn't that different from what I'm doing atm (Maths, Further Maths and Physics). Do you think I'll have a chance at getting an offer for Maths or Physics from places like UCL and Warwick?

what do you mean by you have a chance? do you mean that it's the only As college will let you do or the only As you think you can get a good grade in (preferably an A). If its that you don't think you can get an A in anything else you'll probably be surprised by what you can actually do when exam time comes and you get all your revision in. Was predicted a B in french and a C/D in psychology (well that doesn't really count haha :P) and i got As in both of them so yea, don't think that you're going to fail right from the start.
It completely depends from person to person. They look at each applicant individually, so if someone has a weak 4th AS but an amazing personal statement they might not care.

Whilst UCL asks for a pass, naturally they would prefer a candidate with AAAa to AAAd.

In my case, I got a D in chemistry! I was made offers by Bristol, Warwick and Durham but not UCL. As far as I could see, this was the only flaw in my application as my PS, reference, GCSEs and predicted grades were very good... so I think this shows that UCL still can discriminate against one low AS grade.

Don't worry though, you get 5 choices and I am sure that not all of them will be bothered about it - espesh as it is History, a respected subject.
Reply 19
random321
what do you mean by you have a chance? do you mean that it's the only As college will let you do or the only As you think you can get a good grade in (preferably an A). If its that you don't think you can get an A in anything else you'll probably be surprised by what you can actually do when exam time comes and you get all your revision in. Was predicted a B in french and a C/D in psychology (well that doesn't really count haha :P) and i got As in both of them so yea, don't think that you're going to fail right from the start.
For people going into 2nd year at my college, they are of lesser priority for AS subjects than those who have just done their GCSE's. The 2nd years who want to do another AS have to go see the head of department to get put on the waiting list for that subject as a lot of courses are oversubscribed. I've only done this with Electronics and it's not definate I will be able to get on that course.

And thanks for the responses so far.

Latest

Trending

Trending