The Student Room Group

Dual Honours for PGCE?

Hi all!
I'm currently trying to begin the uni decisions process, but am really stuck for a degree choice, so am considering dual honours. Thing is, I'm considering going into teaching as a future career, and you can only do a PGCE in one subject, no? So, say if I got a degree in English Lit & History, and then did a PGCE in one of the two, would I still be allowed to teach both to GCSE or A-Level standard? Is the PGCE more general teaching training, or subject specific? Could a dual honours affect my career prospects? Is it even half a degree of each as I thought, or two degrees?
Sorry for all of the questions, but I'm terribly confused (as ever I guess) and I've not been able to find much in the way of support for this sort of thing.
As far as I know, a PGCE qualifies you to teach anything. If you have a degree in two subjects I would say this would make your application stronger for a secondary applicant.
I believe for secondary teaching a PGCE in a given subject requires your degree to have at least 50% of that subject content. Provided your joint honours achieves that, there shouldn't be much of an issue (there might be more of a problem for a tripartite or combined course like PPE or HSPS, depending on options taken). However, if it's a shortage subject you can take an SKE to "bridge the gap" before starting anyway (and they pay you to do so, I think).

As far as teaching in multiple areas I think that depends a bit more on the school you end up working in, although I think there are PGCEs in multiple subjects. I think it's fairly common for languages teachers to teach more than one language, and science teachers to sometimes teach more than one science (to GCSE a least). Anecdotally I've had teachers who teach both drama and English as well.

@04MR17 might be able to advise more on the education sector and qualifying as a teacher :smile:
I agree with the above posts, however, to clear a few things up:
Original post by zazzy.r
Hi all!
I'm currently trying to begin the uni decisions process, but am really stuck for a degree choice, so am considering dual honours. Thing is, I'm considering going into teaching as a future career, and you can only do a PGCE in one subject, no? So, say if I got a degree in English Lit & History, and then did a PGCE in one of the two, would I still be allowed to teach both to GCSE or A-Level standard? Is the PGCE more general teaching training, or subject specific? Could a dual honours affect my career prospects? Is it even half a degree of each as I thought, or two degrees?
Sorry for all of the questions, but I'm terribly confused (as ever I guess) and I've not been able to find much in the way of support for this sort of thing.

You could definitely go for a PGCE with dual honours in those subjects. You will have not problem teaching either in the future. The PGCE is more general teaching, however, you are subject focussed to your chosen route and this will reflect your placement. Therefore, a PGCE student for history would be teaching history on their placement and have teaching history sessions. It is a choice you would have to make after your degree and a choice that will probably come much easier to you once you have studied both subjects at university level - you may like one more than the other and in that case would opt for that in the PGCE. Later in your career, you could change your mind and speak to staff in your school to begin teaching your other subject and I am sure that would be possible, in some schools.
You do not necessarily need a PGCE in English to teaching English lit or a PGCE in Maths to teach maths etc.
Reply 4
brilliant, thank you! that's cleared a lot up.
Original post by artful_lounger
I believe for secondary teaching a PGCE in a given subject requires your degree to have at least 50% of that subject content. Provided your joint honours achieves that, there shouldn't be much of an issue (there might be more of a problem for a tripartite or combined course like PPE or HSPS, depending on options taken). However, if it's a shortage subject you can take an SKE to "bridge the gap" before starting anyway (and they pay you to do so, I think).

As far as teaching in multiple areas I think that depends a bit more on the school you end up working in, although I think there are PGCEs in multiple subjects. I think it's fairly common for languages teachers to teach more than one language, and science teachers to sometimes teach more than one science (to GCSE a least). Anecdotally I've had teachers who teach both drama and English as well.

@04MR17 might be able to advise more on the education sector and qualifying as a teacher :smile:

Original post by bwilliams
I agree with the above posts, however, to clear a few things up:

You could definitely go for a PGCE with dual honours in those subjects. You will have not problem teaching either in the future. The PGCE is more general teaching, however, you are subject focussed to your chosen route and this will reflect your placement. Therefore, a PGCE student for history would be teaching history on their placement and have teaching history sessions. It is a choice you would have to make after your degree and a choice that will probably come much easier to you once you have studied both subjects at university level - you may like one more than the other and in that case would opt for that in the PGCE. Later in your career, you could change your mind and speak to staff in your school to begin teaching your other subject and I am sure that would be possible, in some schools.
You do not necessarily need a PGCE in English to teaching English lit or a PGCE in Maths to teach maths etc.
Original post by zazzy.r
Hi all!

Since I've been tagged in, just posting to say that @bwilliams is spot on. :smile:
Reply 6
Hey! This was something I was caught up in last year when applying to universities. I asked around many unis and they all reassured me that doing dual honours (in my case, Literature + Music) would not be a problem for my plan to be an English Literature high school teacher. If anything, I think it will really help your application to be a teacher stand out as you will be able to prove that you are well-rounded and have many interests and strengths!
Original post by zazzy.r
brilliant, thank you! that's cleared a lot up.

As someone involved in interviewing new teachers for our school then I'd say being able to offer two subjects in your degree would be very useful. I would think it would enhance your ability to get a job at a good school :smile:
Reply 8
Thank you!!! That's really helped, I'm very grateful! I just want to make sure that the paths I go down will lead me to where I want to be :dontknow:
Original post by 04MR17
Since I've been tagged in, just posting to say that @bwilliams is spot on. :smile:

Original post by flowera
Hey! This was something I was caught up in last year when applying to universities. I asked around many unis and they all reassured me that doing dual honours (in my case, Literature + Music) would not be a problem for my plan to be an English Literature high school teacher. If anything, I think it will really help your application to be a teacher stand out as you will be able to prove that you are well-rounded and have many interests and strengths!

Original post by Muttley79
As someone involved in interviewing new teachers for our school then I'd say being able to offer two subjects in your degree would be very useful. I would think it would enhance your ability to get a job at a good school :smile:

One more question if I may pick your brains further, and it's fairly obvious and I'm pretty sure of the answer but just want to make sure: a degree in linguistics doesn't qualify you to teach MFL, does it? I'm assuming not but I'm frustratingly uninformed on the whole teacher training process to be honest! Again, much appreciated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending