The Student Room Group

Confusion about unplanned gap year

Hey all - any advice would be much appreciated!

Basically, I recently decided to take a gap year due to family circumstances etc. What do I do about the two university places I've put as my firm and insurance, bearing in mind I'm going to reapply next year?

Should I call them asap, or wait until after I get my results? Are these universities likely to 'blacklist' me for dropping out if I do this?

Thanks for any replies.
I seriously doubt it
with ur grades anyway im sure ull find some other uni as good that will take u?..
where hav u got in and what course?...

im kinda in the same boat
Reply 2
Got into York and Leeds (AAB offers). Really want to apply to York again though.
Reply 3
lazzyfuzzylou
Hey all - any advice would be much appreciated!

Basically, I recently decided to take a gap year due to family circumstances etc. What do I do about the two university places I've put as my firm and insurance, bearing in mind I'm going to reapply next year?

Should I call them asap, or wait until after I get my results? Are these universities likely to 'blacklist' me for dropping out if I do this?

Thanks for any replies.

I took an unexpected gap year and only decided not to go to uni in September lol. If you phone the admissions officer or send them an e-mail explaining why you won't be going then they will understand. It's probably best to do it early though because then you won't lose you deposit and mess up your student loan like I did :p:.

And don't worry about them 'blacklisting' you. I decided not to go to Exeter last year and when I reapplied this year I got an offer from them again. I think being on a gap year gives you a better chance of getting into uni anyway, seemed to work well for me...

Hope this helps :smile:.
lazzyfuzzylou
Got into York and Leeds (AAB offers). Really want to apply to York again though.

Why not ask them if you can defer?
Good bloke

I was going to suggest this, ring the admissions officer in York , explain your circumsances and ask if there is any chance your place could be deferred?
Reply 6
Good bloke

misswilliams
I was going to suggest this, ring the admissions officer in York , explain your circumsances and ask if there is any chance your place could be deferred?

Yes this would be ideal, however my parents want me to reapply to Oxford and my thinking has changed from "get over it, parents" to "might as well have another go.."
lazzyfuzzylou
Yes this would be ideal, however my parents want me to reapply to Oxford and my thinking has changed from "get over it, parents" to "might as well have another go.."

well if your heart is in it then go for it! only you, however, can make the decision to re-apply or defer. if you fancy having another bash then by all means :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending