The Student Room Group

(Art GCSE AQA) Did I lose marks for telling my teacher that my piece was unfinished?

I did a clay sculpture for my exam piece, and it looked alright except at the base I did not quite get to finish the details and smooth it, and I think I got a bit fixated on this.
After the exam when everyone was talking about how it went etc., I mentioned this to some other students who were in the same room as me and they said that they could not tell it was unfinished. I mentioned it to my art teacher as well, and he did not reply and made a kind of 'hm' noise and it kind of suggested that I should not have told him.
He is the one who marks everyone's coursework and exam pieces (with the help of another art teacher - who I also mentioned it was incomplete to anyway!!! I SUCK!!! -, but it is mostly him), and I am now worried that I lost marks for mentioning that it was unfinished, when I could have just kept my mouth shut and kept a few more marks.
We just got our marks for the coursework and the exam (separate grades), and in the exam I got 88/96, which I know isn't bad but I still feel really annoyed and upset with myself for possibly losing a few marks that I didn't have to.

I know that what's done is done etc. etc. and I should get over it but do you think that I might have lost a marks for mentioning it? He might have not even noticed or thought much of the unfinished areas at the base if I had not said anything, and after I said that, he can't exactly ignore it...?

Sorry, I know I am very clearly fixating on a few lost marks, but I keep feeling so so annoyed at myself and I don't know if I should or not. What kind of things do you lose marks for in the exam?

[Also, I am aware of how dumb it was to mention it to the person marking it, but (1.) I was not thinking, and (2.) When people asked me 'how did it go', that was just my go-to answer because that was the most notable thing about the exam for me.]
I do OCR art gcse and i think my teacher did say that you have to finish your piece in the set time, so it is possible that you did lose a few marks for not being able to finish it, however if it appears finished i dont they they can mark you down on just a comment you made. Also some people stylize their art to have an unfinished look to it so either way if you just missed a few details and smoothing it out it wouldn't have impacted your grade that much. And i also fixated on all the mistakes i made during my exam and how it could have gotten better, but mistakes happen.
Try not to focus too much on what you could have done, you did really well so,well done!! :thumbsup:
Reply 2
88/96 for the exam is amazing! i wouldn't worry about it because as long as you got a similar mark for the coursework you're on track for a grade 9 :smile: if its really bothering you, there should be an internal appeal process at your school for the mark if you feel its unfair.

Quick Reply

Latest