The Student Room Group

What chance is there of getting into these uni's with these grades?

Hi guys.

I've been browsing these boards for the last few weeks and i've noticed some very very clever people. They have got there 3-6 A's at AS and applied to some similar universities as me. However the difference is i have got BBBC at AS and i've applied to the following universities to undertake the M100 Law course. This has me really worried and i wouldn't know what to do if i was rejected by them all.

The universities i have applied to are:

Nottingham
Warwick
Leicester
Nottingham Trent
Birmingham

I know my grades aren't quite up there with the A grades. However they were pretty close and the C wasn't far off a B and i had a pretty disappointing year considering the effort i had put in. However i know it's not an excuse etc....

But i would like some peoples views on the possibility of getting into these universities with the above grades, although i am predicted higher than those achieved and i have a strong extra-curricular background. Please be blunt as possible and no sarcastic comments please. Only serious peoples advice wanted.

Thanks AJ

P.S Poo-Pooing my pants for the LNAT on Wednesday.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nottingham, Warwick and Birmingham will be the hardest for you.

Are you predicted AAA/AAB at A level?
Have you declared your AS grades?

If yes, yes...

If you are predicted AAA then you have accomplished their target entrance requirements. However, you're AS grades will most probably be slightly lower than the exceptional students they will automatically give offers to. Despite this, you are still in with a reasonable chance of an offer. Your personal statement and reference would have to be gleaming, and the spot of work experience might not have gone a miss. It wouldn't do your application any harm at all in regard to Notts and Birm to gain a pretty fab-tastic score on the LNAT.

Chances? Average. Not that great, but not that bad.

Dunno about your other three choices, as I have no idea of repute/applications/entrance grades/anything!

Wishing you all the best with your application.

Dreama xxxx
Reply 2
hi,
i would say that your chances of getting into the warwick and nottingham law courses are pretty slim as they ask for exceptional gcse grades accross the board (of course you may have that) and AAA at a level is the standard offer (although i know someone who got an AAB offer from warwick for law but mainly as she was from whats considered a "poor" school). youve probably sent off your application already but if your predicted grades are AAA then its quite possible youll get an offer. i would suggest you leave your as grades off your form though, but if you have a genuine reason for not doing well then you should say so and im sure theyd be understanding. even if you have put your as grades on they might give you an offer in any case, you never know, your ps and reference might be excellent. im not sure about the other unis on your list but id say you have a better chance with those, particulalry nott trent. law is such a hard course to get onto mind so dont get your hopes up. Good luck!
Reply 3
Thanks for the above comments. Yeah i know i could do with a good day on the LNAT, but that again is one of my main concerns.

Yes, i have declared everything i have nothing to hide :wink:. I've also done some work experience and whether my Personal Statement & Reference is gleaming is upto the admissions officer lol.

Another thing is that i've wanted to study Law since i was like 8 and it's heart wrenching to achieve the grades i did after the amount of effort i put in. It's the first time i actually revised for exams (Didn't revise for GCSE's and got 4A's, 4B's a C and D) and revised hard, otherwise there was no point in revising.
Reply 4
Hi there I just wanted to ask something and AJ2003, plz plz plz don't think I'm like driving the convo away from you but it was what one of the guys said "strong GCSEs" for Warwick and nottingham (which I applied to aswell). Basically I see people with all these A*s and that and I got 4A*s 3As 1B and 1C. For AS I got AAAA and am predicted AAA. I know I meet the requirements thus far but as for GCSEs would mine be classed as good enough?? (not boasting or anything btw)
As for you AJ, I think with a really good performance at retakes, strong PS and references you definately have a chance. I'm worried about being rejected by all 6 of my unni choices and thats why I decided to apply to some canadian ones after all! :tsr: :smile: :tsr:
swallows
hi,
i would say that your chances of getting into the warwick and nottingham law courses are pretty slim

I'd go along with this. Nottingham and Warwick won't necessarily make all their offers to straight-A people, but there are a hell of a lot of them! They are notoriously competitive places to get into and if we're honest, your academic record is probably in the lower quartile of those applying.

For the other institutions, you've got a decent chance of getting an offer, I know of people with similar grades who've got into Birmingham for Law; but I think that the LNAT will be crucial to your application.
Reply 6
@Saagar: Don't worry mate, If you're looking for advice then by all means do so. But please remember you got AAAA at A-level, lol, you won't have to worry! I will!

@ Other People: I appreciate your honesty. I just wonder how many of these Law applicants have played football for five years at a high youth and adult standard during their GCSE's and A-Levels? lol.Maybe it will help me, maybe not!

I hope Nottingham can save me a place, as i'm really dead set on going there!
NTU you will be fine with and perhaps Leicester.
Reply 8
Aj2003
Hi guys.

I've been browsing these boards for the last few weeks and i've noticed some very very clever people. They have got there 3-6 A's at AS and applied to some similar universities as me. However the difference is i have got BBBC at AS and i've applied to the following universities to undertake the M100 Law course. This has me really worried and i wouldn't know what to do if i was rejected by them all.

The universities i have applied to are:

Nottingham
Warwick
Leicester
Nottingham Trent
Birmingham

I know my grades aren't quite up there with the A grades. However they were pretty close and the C wasn't far off a B and i had a pretty disappointing year considering the effort i had put in. However i know it's not an excuse etc....

But i would like some peoples views on the possibility of getting into these universities with the above grades, although i am predicted higher than those achieved and i have a strong extra-curricular background. Please be blunt as possible and no sarcastic comments please. Only serious peoples advice wanted.

Thanks AJ

P.S Poo-Pooing my pants for the LNAT on Wednesday.

You should be fine. You say your exam marks aren't representative of your intelligence and effort so you may be able to pull a B to an A and a C to a B in your second year. They are good grades anyway though. Your attitude also seems good in general.

Oh, and don't worry about what everyone says in this forum. A lot are from private schools etc. It gets me down sometimes but you get used to it. This forum has made me feel guilty when i'm not working!
Gaz031
Oh, and don't worry about what everyone says in this forum. A lot are from private schools etc.

A lot is how many exactly? I'm unsure of any statistics but I was thinking most of us are from comprehensive backgrounds.
Reply 10
Well i have dropped the C grade subject which was Business Studies, to be honest i didn't enjoy it much and i was predicted a B and i was only 6 marks off that grade.

Also my cousin and her husband who went to Uni of Nottingham said i should be fine getting into Nottingham. I'm not sure if that is them trying to put me at ease or a fair idea of what they think.

Do all of the universities i listed above undertake interviews with prospective students/applicants?
Reply 11
NDGAARONDI
A lot is how many exactly? I'm unsure of any statistics but I was thinking most of us are from comprehensive backgrounds.

A lot means significantly more than you'll meet in nearly any situation not on the internet at our age (provided you're not at a private school yourself though).
Reply 12
Funnily enough I have applied to these same 5 university's as well as aberystwyth(apparently the welsh uni's are more lenient, not sure if this is true).While my grades were a bit better than yours they are by no means brilliant. I've got offers from aber and leicester both AAB. If you feel that you'll be able to achieve this then you should be fine n dandy. I've been very impressed with the way Leicester handle themselves. Couple of useful letters and their law visit day program looks a lot more impressive than Birmingham's which was rubbish really. Warwick/Notts might be a bit out of reach, maybe Brum but I would say you've definately got a chance, 'specially if you rock the lnat. I don't think any of them interview.
calicojack
Funnily enough I have applied to these same 5 university's as well as aberystwyth(apparently the welsh uni's are more lenient, not sure if this is true).

For Law?
Reply 14
Aj20030

@ Other People: I appreciate your honesty. I just wonder how many of these Law applicants have played football for five years at a high youth and adult standard during their GCSE's and A-Levels? lol.Maybe it will help me, maybe not!

I compete in British Youth Championship dance competitions Nationwide throughout my entire school career. I didn't wrap this up as a reason why I **only** got AAAC at AS... They are unlikely to take this into consideration as a "reason" for lower grades than your potential, although it may add to your "well-rounding" as a candidate.
Reply 15
The positive impression yielded by candidates who have enjoyed extra-curricular responsibilities throughout their academic career resides in the fact that it confirms an applicant as someone who would make a wider contribution to the University as an institution, well beyond the confines of their chosen field. Extra-curricular activities are far from compulsory, and academic achievement is commended, first and foremost: rationally speaking, if external commitments preclude you from performing to the optimum standard, then it is logically assumed that you will discontinue them. You grades will therefore be seen "as is", and though the basis for an offer (in addition to the requirements of that offer) may well be swayed by an exemplary extra-curricular record, a BBBC candidate with five years' county sport participation is only likely to be selected over a candidate who is equally academically proficient, but happens to lack any such additional feather to their cap. From the point of view of a discerning admissions tutor, poor time management and lack of prioritisation certainly would not constitute a mitigating circumstance; if anything, a complaint along those lines would be liable to detract from one's prospects. That is unless, of course, you are of the peculiar sort who can play Man's sympathies like a lute :wink:
i think u shud have APU as an insurance cos u'll defo get in. the others u are dicing with death cos u got crap ASs (4 law) and prob get lower grads at a2. don tak the risk.

saying this Essex uni's M100 standard offer is AAB but my friends got CEE;CCDD;DDD;BCU and i got ABB and we all got in after results day.
magiccarpet
i think u shud have APU as an insurance cos u'll defo get in. the others u are dicing with death cos u got crap ASs (4 law) and prob get lower grads at a2. don tak the risk.

saying this Essex uni's M100 standard offer is AAB but my friends got CEE;CCDD;DDD;BCU and i got ABB and we all got in after results day.

If anyone wants to see another conversation involving magiccarpet, click

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t53647.html

Its rather odd.
Reply 18
magiccarpet

Hi MagicCarpet,

You may consider what i am doing is "dicing with death" and i may have got "crap" AS's by todays law requirement standards, but i believe that if i work hard like last year maybe this year it might pay off and still achieve high grades. And if i don't apply now then i would have no idea in the future if i would've ever been made an offer and possibly regret not applying to the universities i have chosen to. I believe it is worth taking the "risk".

Although i achieved the grades i did, my teachers still believe that i can achieve AAB. No i am not another student that has managed to coax my teachers into predicting me those grades for the sake of it, they genuinely believe i can achieve these.

Also at Profesh: Please use paragraphs lol. Anyway reacting to your comments, i do understand what you are saying and by no means am i making excuses for myself. Also prioritisation was never an issue, i just think maybe it wasn't my year, however i am adamant and determined to go one better and achieve higher grades, no matter what anyone else has to say on that. Also i hope i can play a mans sympathies like a flute. :tongue:

Also i was wondering, Profesh, Which universities are you applying to (If you are at that stage?).

Thanks AJ

P.s Lottelo: That is a rather odd conversation isn't it.
Reply 19
Bristol
Warwick
Sheffield
Birmingham
Leeds
Cardiff

Realistically, they're all AAA bar Cardiff.

Latest

Trending

Trending