The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Do you think studying DD102 or SDK100 would be better in my case?

Hi there,

So I'm currently studying Block 3 of Y032 and looking at continuing to study BSc (Hons) Psychology with Counselling in Sept/Oct this year. I'm struggling to choose between DD102: Introducing the Social Sciences or SDK100: Science & Health: An Evidence Based approach.

I obviously like Social science so with DD102 it'll just expand on Y032 but at least with SDK100 it'll equip me with some medical knowledge which would be cool however there's a maths element which isn't my strongest subject (so much so that I'll be doing GCSE Maths alongside it)

I've done the preparing for SDK100 quiz and I can do the maths on there but I'm still unsure. Is there any way I can look at the content & past TMA answers for both modules to aid my decision?

Is there anything I should know about both modules to aid my decision?

Thank you :smile:
Hi,

I studied SDK100 a couple of years ago. The maths is honestly nothing to worry about. It's mainly scientific notations, power of 10's and percentages. There is so little of it though, and with it being a level one module all of the assessments (including the final one) are open book, so you can work out maths problems in slow time on paper with a youtube video in the background to explain the method to you if you'd like. If you want to do GCSE maths then please do, but it really isn't necessary in my opinion and could add extra unnecessary stress.

The topics are quite broad, and just sort of dip your toe into the specific area - they don't go into much detail, so very manageable. Some of the concepts in the module have been useful in my future study too, particularly the process of the action potential in neuronal communication which I think is found in the topic on pain (if it hasn't changed). One of my level 2 modules was SDK228, which I believe could also be on your psychology pathway, and understanding the biological basis of mood and affective disorders, plus the methods used to treat them and how they act on the brain was very helpful.

Always remember that your level 1 modules don't count to your final degree classification, you just have to pass them. So pick ones you find interesting and enjoy them!

Ben
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by OUScienceStudent
Hi,

I studied SDK100 a couple of years ago. The maths is honestly nothing to worry about. It's mainly scientific notations, power of 10's and percentages. There is so little of it though, and with it being a level one module all of the assessments (including the final one) are open book, so you can work out maths problems in slow time on paper with a youtube video in the background to explain the method to you if you'd like. If you want to do GCSE maths then please do, but it really isn't necessary in my opinion and could add extra unnecessary stress.

The topics are quite broad, and just sort of dip your toe into the specific area - they don't go into much detail, so very manageable. Some of the concepts in the module have been useful in my future study too, particularly the process of the action potential in neuronal communication which I think is found in the topic on pain (if it hasn't changed). One of my level 2 modules was SDK228, which I believe could also be on your psychology pathway, and understanding the biological basis of mood and affective disorders, plus the methods used to treat them and how they act on the brain was very helpful.

Always remember that your level 1 modules don't count to your final degree classification, you just have to pass them. So pick ones you find interesting and enjoy them!

Ben

Hi Ben,

Sorry for the late response. Thank you for your reply!

I only mentioned GCSE Maths because I didn't get a C grade (back when they were letter grades) originally and it's been a few years since my GCSE's, somehow I've gotten away with it thus far but I'm aware if I apply for jobs in the future I'll need a pass mark (C/4) in Maths and thus a degree won't supersede that. The FE colleges & Adult Ed centres I'm looking at either offer evening classes or it'll only be 1-2 days a week which isn't too bad.

I looked into DD102 (the level 1 social sciences intro module) which did seem interesting however my whole degree is social science based so I thought SDK100 would give me a slight break + I like medicine + it puts me in good stead for SDK228 as you mentioned.

Can I ask, what degree are you studying/did you end up getting? & What was your favourite module?

Lastly, I know if I choose SDK100 I'll get materials shortly but do you still have your notes from that module? If so, could I take a look to see what it's like?

Hello,

Sorry I have taken so long to reply!

I'm currently studying BSc (Hons) Combined STEM (I changed pathway from BSc (Hons) Health Sciences to incorporate more chemistry into my degree). I'm about to start my second year of level 2 in October (studying part time), but so far my favourite has been one of my last modules - SK299 Human Biology. Found the subjects really interesting.

As for the notes, I got rid - sorry!

Ben
Original post by Subs-man
Hi there,
So I'm currently studying Block 3 of Y032 and looking at continuing to study BSc (Hons) Psychology with Counselling in Sept/Oct this year. I'm struggling to choose between DD102: Introducing the Social Sciences or SDK100: Science & Health: An Evidence Based approach.
I obviously like Social science so with DD102 it'll just expand on Y032 but at least with SDK100 it'll equip me with some medical knowledge which would be cool however there's a maths element which isn't my strongest subject (so much so that I'll be doing GCSE Maths alongside it)
I've done the preparing for SDK100 quiz and I can do the maths on there but I'm still unsure. Is there any way I can look at the content & past TMA answers for both modules to aid my decision?
Is there anything I should know about both modules to aid my decision?
Hey - Im not too sure if im late replying on this. I did SDK100 ... Its not so much maths, but a lot of chemistry, when you get to studying 'genetics'. i'll have to have a look at the course now as its been revised since I was studying it, so genetics section maybe taken out of it, but I do remember a lot of science being involved. that was 12 years ago so it could have all changed... I am actually transferring credits from then , so wont be doing that again, but ill go straight onto stage 2 of the degree. So im indecisive also on which modules to take eeek.

Latest