The Student Room Group

TV licences: Up to 3.7 million over-75s to pay licence fee

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ANM775
nobody should be paying it. The BBC should start commissioning ads like every other channel.

You really think an American style tv set up where it takes half a year to watch a 30 minute program due the deluge of poxy ads is preferable?

I don't see why I have to pay because they don't want to do it...…..

You don't. Just don't watch TV anymore... Equally i'm not sure you can attribute any kind of 'desire', one way or the other, to a cooperation.
Reply 21
Original post by z-hog
I knew that, what am I supposed to have fallen for?

Blaming the BBC for a decision forced upon them by the government.
BBC should NOT be given Billions to squander. It is not a service we should be FORCED to pay for. Why didn't the government use it's *******s the last time and cancel this unfair tax
Original post by Bio 7
It’s only about £13 a month anyway, not exactly that much. Still, I think it’s a bad idea they are cutting it.

That's a huge amount for many.
Reply 24
Original post by DSilva
Blaming the BBC for a decision forced upon them by the government.

Just stating the facts, the BBC are going to start charging the over 75s for TV licence again. Blame whoever you like but to pretend they had nothing to do with it is not realistic.
Reply 25
Original post by Napp
You really think an American style tv set up where it takes half a year to watch a 30 minute program due the deluge of poxy ads is preferable?

I don't have any huge problems with the other stations having ads, and these days you don't even have to watch them if you have sky or virgin. just record the program and fast forward. Sometimes even if i'm around to watch it when it airs i'll wait and watch something else until 15 minutes has gone by in the show I want to watch, then use my virgin recording and watch it from the start and just fast forward all the ads
Essentially it is poll tax.
A single mum with one telly on benefits in a one bedroom flat pays the same as JK Rowling in her 10 bedroom mansion with a telly in each room.
Thatcher fell over this.
Reply 27
Original post by z-hog
Just stating the facts, the BBC are going to start charging the over 75s for TV licence again. Blame whoever you like but to pretend they had nothing to do with it is not realistic.

The facts include those in low-income households where one person receives the pension credit benefit still being eligible for a free licence, nor that 'over 75s will be charged'.

Why do you think it's a tax?
Reply 28
Original post by z-hog

Because the government has slashed their budget.
Reply 29
Original post by SMEGGGY

I find it amusing that people who no doubt supported austerity measures that hit the poor hardest, are suddenly up in arms arbour a relatively small TV license fee.

However, I'm all for it being done via progressive taxation where those earning more pay more towards the TV license.
Brilliant! While we are at it, lest remove far more benefits from pensioners!

100% serrious.

I know we all like to get this image of a lonely isolated pensioner in our minds when we think about old people in society.. and there are certainly some that need a lot of help.. but its entirely against the economic facts to generalize this to all pensioners.

Have some facts:

on the one hand we have...
- over 65s have higher levels of disposable money then the average working family after housing costs have been considered.
- As of 2015, pensioners own a greater share of the nations wealth then under 45s for the first time ever...
- 20% of pensioners are millionaires by their assets.
- Pensioners have seen their 'income' raise every year above inflation, while workers have faced a decade of wage stagnation.
- the average pensioner is more wealthy then 60% of the population
(***most stats are for over 65s, whereas this tax is for over 75s, its my impression that this doesn't change much, its just very hard to find specific data for only over 75s)

on the other hand, we have young people who are for the first time in modern history earning less then the previous generation.. we have record low wages (including inflation) when age-groups are compared.. 30 year olds today, are earning significantly less then 30 year olds were 30 years ago. We have record-lows of young people being able to buy houses.. and a huge rise in the age of having children, partly due to increased financial pressures. We also have a massive increase in the amount of debt young people are taking on to compensate.

So sorry.. but **** old peoples bennifits.

The reality is that on average, retired people are some of the most wealthy and privillidged in our society, and for every struggling pensioner there are far more struggling workers and young people.

All pensioner related bennifits should be means tested, just as they are for workers, none should be universally handed out.

We need to radically shift our society back towards a model that rewards young peoples hard work and success, rather then a model that allows the older generations to hoard wealth at the expense of the young.
(edited 4 years ago)
Fat cats at the top taking all the money and making the most vulnerable in society pay, little do they forget, no one lives forever and they too will be old one day. Shameful really. I don't watch TV either way because of YouTube, so the BBC will never get a penny from me.
Original post by SMEGGGY

its a bigger amount of money for the average working family, then it is for the average pensioner. After housing costs are considered, pensioners are on average £20 a week better off then the average worker.
Original post by Scotney
For heavens sake unbelievable! So many old people are isolated and lonely and the tv or radio is the only voice they hear all day. Meanwhile Boris proposes a 3%tax cut for highest earners! This country is making me ashamed at the moment. So all that stuff about D day was just lip service!

Unless they are very old most pensioners didn't actually serve in the war.It was their parents generation not them.I don't see why it should exempt them from paying it either.Everyonelse has to pay it.If veterans get a free pass then so should doctors or fire fighters.
Original post by fallen_acorns
Brilliant! While we are at it, lest remove far more benefits from pensioners!

100% serrious.

I know we all like to get this image of a lonely isolated pensioner in our minds when we think about old people in society.. and there are certainly some that need a lot of help.. but its entirely against the economic facts to generalize this to all pensioners.

Have some facts:

on the one hand we have...
- over 65s have higher levels of disposable money then the average working family after housing costs have been considered.
- As of 2015, pensioners own a greater share of the nations wealth then under 45s for the first time ever...
- 20% of pensioners are millionaires by their assets.
- Pensioners have seen their 'income' raise every year above inflation, while workers have faced a decade of wage stagnation.
- the average pensioner is more wealthy then 60% of the population
(***most stats are for over 65s, whereas this tax is for over 75s, its my impression that this doesn't change much, its just very hard to find specific data for only over 75s)

on the other hand, we have young people who are for the first time in modern history earning less then the previous generation.. we have record low wages (including inflation) when age-groups are compared.. 30 year olds today, are earning significantly less then 30 year olds were 30 years ago. We have record-lows of young people being able to buy houses.. and a huge rise in the age of having children, partly due to increased financial pressures. We also have a massive increase in the amount of debt young people are taking on to compensate.

So sorry.. but **** old peoples bennifits.

The reality is that on average, retired people are some of the most wealthy and privillidged in our society, and for every struggling pensioner there are far more struggling workers and young people.

All pensioner related bennifits should be means tested, just as they are for workers, none should be universally handed out.

We need to radically shift our society back towards a model that rewards young peoples hard work and success, rather then a model that allows the older generations to hoard wealth at the expense of the young.

it's a shame I can't rep you more than once :biggrin:
The veterans I referred to from D Day are obviously are very old and did serve in WW2.Do you actually know how much the state pension is!

Original post by James2312
Unless they are very old most pensioners didn't actually serve in the war.It was their parents generation not them.I don't see why it should exempt them from paying it either.Everyonelse has to pay it.If veterans get a free pass then so should doctors or fire fighters.
I have no problem with this.

Can we scrap automatic winter fuel payments while we are at it?

Like many pensioners, my Dad is relatively wealthy. To give him winter fuel payments makes a mockery of what state benefits should be for, not least because he spends a couple of months each winter skiiing in France.
Original post by Scotney
The veterans I referred to from D Day are obviously are very old and did serve in WW2.Do you actually know how much the state pension is!

But that's not the majority of old people is it? It doesn't really matter.They've had a triple lock on their pensions for years now and they also have free bus travel.Young people however have to get in debt to the tune of 40 grand just to be able to get a decent job and thats before you think about stuff like house prices.And then there is Brexit which was mainly voted for by old people which is going to leave us all worse off economically.So I don't really have much sympathy tbh.
Do you actually know ANY pensioners.
Original post by James2312
But that's not the majority of old people is it? It doesn't really matter.They've had a triple lock on their pensions for years now and they also have free bus travel.Young people however have to get in debt to the tune of 40 grand just to be able to get a decent job and thats before you think about stuff like house prices.And then there is Brexit which was mainly voted for by old people which is going to leave us all worse off economically.So I don't really have much sympathy tbh.
Original post by Scotney

They are also a miniscule percentage of people.75 year olds would have been born in 1943-44 which would make them toddlers at most by the end of the war.To have actually served in the war they would have to be about 91.Only a very small fraction of over 75's actually lived through the war.Use whatever arguments you want but leave D-day out of it.Its not relevant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending