The Student Room Group

Is It Fair To Only Be Able To Love One Person?

I have had a girlfriend for over two years now. I love her more than anything in this world. This summer, when she when home (she lives 600 miles away from college), I met a girl at my work, who as far as she and I are convinced is a female replica of myself, with modifications and variations. No two people are the same. She and I can finish each other's thoughts and sentences, and I have only known her for a little over three months. I have grown to love her, not nearly as much as I love my girlfriend, but at the same time she has fallen in love with me. We aren't breaking any physical rules or anything, just mental connection. My girlfriend is back home now, I spend most of my time with her. I talk to the girl at work online and when I work. I think I should call it quits with any form of love, just so I won't risk getting caught by my girlfriend, because she would take any form of attraction as cheating on her. Not sure what to think of the whole thing. All I know is, is that my girlfriend and I are living in the same apartment and plan to do so for at least another year and 7 (give or take) months, until we graduate. Any thoughts or suggestions? (it's open to anyone)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My advice would be to forget about this new girl - unless you are planning to ditch your girlfriend. Choose one or the other, you can't have both.
Reply 2
He may be able to :smile:
Reply 3
G4ry
He may be able to :smile:

I suppose. But then he'd feel guilty...
Reply 4
I only wish it were that easy.
Reply 5
Conrad

You're overcomplicating things. It really is that easy. They both sound pretty clean - choose one and go with it. Or just wallow in your own self-pity. It's your choice.
Conrad

Choose one or you will be cheating on one or both of them. Cheating is not as simple as physical things you do, thinking of another as a replacement for your gf is cheating (at least I'm sure she'd think so). She's given you two years of her life and deserves more respect than you are giving her now.
Reply 7
Hey Conrad

I've been there, and i've been through it all now.

So here's my advice.

When it happened to me, my mind was a complete whirl of confusion, as i loved my boyfriend and we had been through a LOT together, more than even some married couples most likely. Then another guy came into my life, and i tried to ignore my attraction to him. It was always ok until i saw the 2nd after not seeing him for a while, and i'd just get on so well with him, it was new and fun and we had the same chain of thoughts and views etc. For me it got to the point where i couldn't see my boyfriend without wishing that i was with the other guy. That meant i knew i was doing something wrong.

I ended up breaking up with my boyfriend, the most painful thing i've ever had to do (after over a year and a half together), but i didn't get together with the new guy. Instead i waited and tried to forget about him, but it didn't work. I'm with him now, and I'm happier than i ever was with my ex-boyfriend.

I guess you have the added complication of living with your girlfriend. My advice would be that if you are getting uncomfortable around your girlfriend at all, or you feel your thoughts wandering a lot, just follow your heart. It sounds cliche i know, but i'm so unbelievably glad that i did.

I took me about 6 months to sort all this out, just give it time, there's no need to rush into any sort of decision.

Best of luck x
Reply 8
onlywee
Hey Conrad

I've been there, and i've been through it all now.

So here's my advice.

When it happened to me, my mind was a complete whirl of confusion, as i loved my boyfriend and we had been through a LOT together, more than even some married couples most likely. Then another guy came into my life, and i tried to ignore my attraction to him. It was always ok until i saw the 2nd after not seeing him for a while, and i'd just get on so well with him, it was new and fun and we had the same chain of thoughts and views etc. For me it got to the point where i couldn't see my boyfriend without wishing that i was with the other guy. That meant i knew i was doing something wrong.

I ended up breaking up with my boyfriend, the most painful thing i've ever had to do (after over a year and a half together), but i didn't get together with the new guy. Instead i waited and tried to forget about him, but it didn't work. I'm with him now, and I'm happier than i ever was with my ex-boyfriend.

I guess you have the added complication of living with your girlfriend. My advice would be that if you are getting uncomfortable around your girlfriend at all, or you feel your thoughts wandering a lot, just follow your heart. It sounds cliche i know, but i'm so unbelievably glad that i did.

I took me about 6 months to sort all this out, just give it time, there's no need to rush into any sort of decision.

Best of luck x

You don't know how well you helped me look at my situation from a third person perspective. Thanks a lot - I'll put a lot of thought towards that. And I agree, rushing into something can be just as foolish, if not more, than running away from something else. I know what you meant by it, I was just saying what I think too. Thanks again.
Reply 9
I understand what you are going through. You know, its really painful when you realise that fairytale romances are just ideals, and real life is never like that. I've got to the point where I don't even believe in true love anymore - the boy who's loved me for over three years now has finally stopped caring and even I seem to be moving on. So I think, if relationships like that don't work (we were VERY close...24hrs a day close!), then which ones do? You're still young, don't rush into anything, but understand that it's always a very ambitious dream to stay with your love indefinitely.
Reply 10
Adhsur
I understand what you are going through. You know, its really painful when you realise that fairytale romances are just ideals, and real life is never like that. I've got to the point where I don't even believe in true love anymore - the boy who's loved me for over three years now has finally stopped caring and even I seem to be moving on. You're still young, don't rush into anything, but understand that it's always a very ambitious dream to stay with your love indefinitely.

Pessimistic but realistic.

Life isn't a bowl of cherries.
Reply 11
Indeed...
Reply 12
I'm glad I could help :smile:. I know how scary it is.
Reply 13
onlywee
I'm glad I could help :smile:. I know how scary it is.

Id stay with the old one, I agree that she has taken 2 years out oof her life to be with you.........if u work at mcdonalds or starbucks or somethin mayb u could get a transfer 2 work at anouther, so u dont have to see each other anymore, thats how me and my best friend are (my best friends a guy) and were not n love........are u SURE this is a romantic kind of love. and bsides u said u luved ur other girlfriend more, also u mite want to explain the situation to the new girl.
Reply 14
i agree u shouldnt rush into anything but for now i would say stick with the old g/f for now; u know her better and if this new girl is, as you say, a female replica of you-- well, i dont know u but i couldn't live with a male version of me.

i had a guy friend who thought and acted and had the same personality as me. we had a great time talking-- we would agree on everything and give good advice to each other-- but when we tried a romantic relationship it didnt work. it was almost as if putting a label on what we had ruined our good friendship-- we both sort of clammed up and were formal with each other. thanks to, of course, our nearly identical tendancies.

as i said, though, i dont know u but my perfect match would be my perfect opposite not my perfect clone (well not "perfect" per se but u know what i mean). it sounds as if this girl would make a really good, close friend but i would keep it that way.
Reply 15
curryADD
Id stay with the old one, I agree that she has taken 2 years out oof her life to be with you.........if u work at mcdonalds or starbucks or somethin mayb u could get a transfer 2 work at anouther, so u dont have to see each other anymore, thats how me and my best friend are (my best friends a guy) and were not n love........are u SURE this is a romantic kind of love. and bsides u said u luved ur other girlfriend more, also u mite want to explain the situation to the new girl.

The "new" girl, believe it or not, knows about my girlfriend and she is completely fine with the idea that I reserve most of my heart for her. On the other hand, the "new" girl as you put her, has her own set of feelings for me, despite her original plan to not fall in love with me and to keep it as as just friends relationship.
.................................................................................................
Though my girlfriend does not know of the other girl to the extent of our feelings, she is aware that she is my friend. I have actually already talked to the girl the I work with about calling it quits intimately and trying the friends thing for a while. Using onlywee's idea, I think it would be safe to back off for a while and see how things pan out. I really don't want to mess up what I have with my girlfriend, and my co-worker fully understands. I think for now everything will be fine, but my head is still a mess and that will be the hard part. I wish the world weren't so complicated . . .
Reply 16
there is an old chinese curse: "may you live in interesting times"

we are cursed many times over
Reply 17
You don't know how right you are. Damn living in the 21st Century!!! I love it and I hate it. So many decisions and so little morals . . .
The only melodramatic relationship problems in life are the ones created by ourselves, in this case you.

If you truly loved your girlfriend then no other woman would be able to cloud your mind. As it is you obviously don't and you led the other girl on regardless of what you say - she thought deep down she had a chance.

So 1) what kind of person does that make you, and 2) what kind of person does that make the new girl.
Reply 19
Unregistered
The only melodramatic relationship problems in life are the ones created by ourselves, in this case you.

If you truly loved your girlfriend then no other woman would be able to cloud your mind. As it is you obviously don't and you led the other girl on regardless of what you say - she thought deep down she had a chance.

So 1) what kind of person does that make you, and 2) what kind of person does that make the new girl.

I think what you said is kind of unfair, but true, have you gone all the way yet with the second girl? if so, that was prolly the reason for the mess being not so complicated, if not, well i definatly think you owe up to your girlfriend to tell her the situation she deserves to kno. and about the second girl, you might want to ask yourself what kind of person she is, she knew you had a girlfriend who loved very much and she still is "coming on?" (that might not be the right term) maybe "loving" on you.

Latest

Trending

Trending