The Student Room Group

How difficult would it be to teach myself/get tutored Physics (I)GCSE?

The situation is, my school asked us at the beginning of 9th grade to choose 2 from Biology, Chemistry and Physics. We're in Germany so we do IGCSEs. To me it was natural to choose Biology and Chemistry for my IGCSEs, and I don't think that I've made the wrong choice, because I really enjoy those courses. So much, in fact, that by January of last year I've been thinking of doing Biomedical Science or Biochemistry at university.

Problem is, with universities like Imperial, they require at least a Physics GCSE for Biomedical Science, which I don't have. I'm currently sitting my IGCSE exams now, and, as I only started considering doing a Biomed course in January, I didn't have the time to attempt to learn another science which would have a negative effect on my other subjects as I'd have to devote quite a lot of my time to it.

So what I've been thinking of doing is taking the Physics IGCSE in the OctoberNovember session. To prepare, I'd either find a tutor or attempt to teach myself- hence my question, how difficult would it be to teach yourself a (I)GCSE science course. I do realize that these courses are meant to be taught over 2 years, not a matter of months, but I do have a lot of free time in the summer to do it. The contents of the IGCSE syllabus is quite similar to that of GCSE.

Oh, and I'll be taking the IB next year, not A-Levels, so I won't have to worry about January exams :smile:

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
it depends i guess...i haven't taken IGCSE sciences although i have done maths...the sciences aren't said to be harder so i don't think that will be an issue.

you sound like you are very motivated, which i always think is a necessity in physics...if you don't want to do it, you won't!

i would say though, that you will certainly be spending your whole summer learning for it which might not be much fun...as there is quite a lot to cover...

how much work have you found your other sciences?? maybe consider how hard they were and then add a bit more as it isnt your favourite science

what subjects are you taking for IB, and will you be taking a lot of exams next summer, because it might be an idea to maybe do it next summer so you have a bit more time to get comfortable with the topics

i would also suggest doing research into which text books to get as if you are teaching yourself you need to have a textbook that you get along with and that is tightly focussed on the specification.

maybe take a look at the specification if you can get hold of one and consider how much time/effort it will take you

finally, consider how much you would enjoy doing it, and maybe look at some other universities. i am not sure whether they all require physics GCSE but i do know that Imperial usually ask for more than other unis

Good luck with your decision!
Reply 2
ifelthope
The situation is, my school asked us at the beginning of 9th grade to choose 2 from Biology, Chemistry and Physics. We're in Germany so we do IGCSEs. To me it was natural to choose Biology and Chemistry for my IGCSEs, and I don't think that I've made the wrong choice, because I really enjoy those courses. So much, in fact, that by January of last year I've been thinking of doing Biomedical Science or Biochemistry at university.

Problem is, with universities like Imperial, they require at least a Physics GCSE for Biomedical Science, which I don't have. I'm currently sitting my IGCSE exams now, and, as I only started considering doing a Biomed course in January, I didn't have the time to attempt to learn another science which would have a negative effect on my other subjects as I'd have to devote quite a lot of my time to it.

So what I've been thinking of doing is taking the Physics IGCSE in the OctoberNovember session. To prepare, I'd either find a tutor or attempt to teach myself- hence my question, how difficult would it be to teach yourself a (I)GCSE science course. I do realize that these courses are meant to be taught over 2 years, not a matter of months, but I do have a lot of free time in the summer to do it. The contents of the IGCSE syllabus is quite similar to that of GCSE.

Oh, and I'll be taking the IB next year, not A-Levels, so I won't have to worry about January exams :smile:

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

I've just finished this course (took my 2 exams in May). I find physics a challenging subject but saying that I think if you're motivated enough you'll definately be able to tutor yourself/ get a private tutor to teach you this course. The difference between Physics and Chemistry is that Physics is more of a learning subject where as in my opinion Chemistry is an understanding one. The IGCSE physics course and exams are mainly based upon calculations more than anything else and you seem like a person with a 'scientific' brain wanting to do Bio-Medical sciences so i don't think you should struggle.

When would you want to take the exam?
I was taught this course over 3 years, and that was just about enough so i don't know about a few months.
but definately if you wanna do it, go for it.

good luck
Reply 3
cari
it depends i guess...i haven't taken IGCSE sciences although i have done maths...the sciences aren't said to be harder so i don't think that will be an issue.

you sound like you are very motivated, which i always think is a necessity in physics...if you don't want to do it, you won't!

i would say though, that you will certainly be spending your whole summer learning for it which might not be much fun...as there is quite a lot to cover...

how much work have you found your other sciences?? maybe consider how hard they were and then add a bit more as it isnt your favourite science

what subjects are you taking for IB, and will you be taking a lot of exams next summer, because it might be an idea to maybe do it next summer so you have a bit more time to get comfortable with the topics

i would also suggest doing research into which text books to get as if you are teaching yourself you need to have a textbook that you get along with and that is tightly focussed on the specification.

maybe take a look at the specification if you can get hold of one and consider how much time/effort it will take you

finally, consider how much you would enjoy doing it, and maybe look at some other universities. i am not sure whether they all require physics GCSE but i do know that Imperial usually ask for more than other unis

Good luck with your decision!

In IB I'm taking Higher Level Biology, Chemistry and History, and Standard Level Maths, German B and English A1.
Most other universities don't require Physics IGCSE, but I've always been a bit of an overachiever and want to get into the best universities possible :smile:
Thank you so much for both of your replies, they have been really, really helpful and given me some things to consider.

Latest