The Student Room Group

How much taxes on £19k year?

Hi everyone,

I will be starting an exciting new job in Newcastle (UK) soon. The pay is £19K a year. However, after doing some research and using the tax calculator, I realized the tax is pretty high.

Would someone have any advice or tips on how to save\reduce the taxes?

Thanks a lot,
G
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Guilherme12
Hi everyone,

I will be starting an exciting new job in Newcastle (UK) soon. The pay is £19K a year. However, after doing some research and using the tax calculator, I realized the tax is pretty high.

Would someone have any advice or tips on how to save\reduce the taxes?

Thanks a lot,
G

You can't avoid tax legally without salary sacrifices like a pension or a health plan, £200 (including NI) a month of £1500 salary isn't that high.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
You can't avoid tax legally without salary sacrifices like a pension or a health plan, £200 (including NI) a month of £1500 salary isn't that high.

According to the tax calculator, I would take home around £1370 per month. So having a health plan or putting some towards pension lowers the overall tax?
Original post by Guilherme12
According to the tax calculator, I would take home around £1370 per month. So having a health plan or putting some towards pension lowers the overall tax?

yes, because you're paying for something tax free but lose wages to the benefit.
https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/salary-sacrifice-schemes#how-salary-sacrifice-works
Reply 4
Thanks a lot everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending