The Student Room Group

Going back to college at 19

I already have GCSEs and A Levels, but after working for a while, I've realised I want to be an electrician, so I'm going back to college to do the level 2 and 3 courses for the next few years. What sort of questions should I be asking in my interview? (I went to my high school's sixth form so I never had to interview for sixth form) Is it a really different experience for someone older or are there a lot of people who go back to gain the skills for a career?
I think it depends on the college but I went back to college at 22 and it was pretty much the same as when I first applied at 16. They mostly wanted to make sure that I still had the study skills needed after being out of education for a while. 19 isn't even that old to be going back to college - quite a few of the people on my course were 19/20.
Reply 2
I know I'm not much older, but to 15/16 year olds, 19 is ancient lmao. I just wanted to check that it's not going to feel like I'm an outsider, so it's good to hear I'm not the first person to go back to college. What sort of questions were you asked when you were interviewed?
Original post by morningstar461
I think it depends on the college but I went back to college at 22 and it was pretty much the same as when I first applied at 16. They mostly wanted to make sure that I still had the study skills needed after being out of education for a while. 19 isn't even that old to be going back to college - quite a few of the people on my course were 19/20.
I don't remember exactly, but college interviews are generally pretty relaxed. Their main focus is making sure that the course is right for you and that you'll be able to succeed on it. As you haven't been out of education for long, you should be fine.

Lots of people go back to college or are still at college at 19 because they changed their mind or took time out or other reasons so I'm sure you won't be an outsider. Also age isn't too much of a big deal at college. When I first went at 16, there were a couple of people in their 20s/30s in my class and no one made a big deal out of it and they fit in fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending