The Student Room Group

Foundation year

Hi everyone,

I’m going to be 26 when I start in September and will be doing a foundation year and then going to be doing a criminology degree. Can anyone tell me what I would actually be studying in my foundation year because I have no idea haha I’m also soooo anxious as I’ve been out of school/college years and I’m just worried about everything tbh

Thanks in advance 😁🙈
Reply 1
Depends where you're going - different universities have different foundation years, often quite different as far as I've heard.
Reply 2
I’m going to Sunderland uni
Reply 3
Ah, best I can manage is website trawling (which you've probably done - if you haven't, this page has a few details). Three modules related to criminology/the subject area, a maths module (probably not too demanding) and a 'study skills' module (which will be stuff like referencing, reading, academic writing, etc). I've done a foundation year elsewhere which was similar, also after a long break from education, and they definitely help with getting you back up into it.

Hopefully a Sunderland person will come along and offer more specifics (perhaps asking in the Sunderland Uni subforum might work).
Reply 4
Ohh okay thank you and how do I get into that forum? Sorry probably a dumb question 🤣🙈🙈
Reply 5
Original post by Naomii1993
Ohh okay thank you and how do I get into that forum? Sorry probably a dumb question 🤣🙈🙈

Nah, can be hard to find your way around! Easy way - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=850

Or, click 'forums' at the top of the screen, scroll down to the 'Universities and HE colleges' section, and it's in the North of England bit.
Hi Naomi,

Firstly, congratulations on your place! Criminology is a wonderful course, and the extra support from a foundation year will equip you with the essential study skills and subject specific knowledge to prepare you for your degree.

There's absolutely no need to be nervous, a high proportion of our students are mature so you are not alone, and there is so much support so if you are ever feeling out of your depth or just help with something, there is always someone to help.

In your Foundation year, a Criminology student would follow the Social Sciences and Law route within the IFY, which would include the following:
A maths module
An essential skills module
A project module which would culminate in the student providing an extended piece of work on their degree choice/area of interest A Global Rights and Wrongs module which looks at human rights abuses across the globe A Foundations in Social Theory and Law module; the first semester looks at social theory (including criminology) and the second semester is an introduction to law and legal theory.

If there's anything else you would like to know, feel free to let me know :smile:

Hi everyone,

I’m going to be 26 when I start in September and will be doing a foundation year and then going to be doing a criminology degree. Can anyone tell me what I would actually be studying in my foundation year because I have no idea haha I’m also soooo anxious as I’ve been out of school/college years and I’m just worried about everything tbh

Thanks in advance 😁🙈
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7
Aww thank you! And I think you’ve pretty much covered everything I wanted to know! It was just mainly like what was involved in the IFY really and if it was a start of criminology etc

There’s one little thing I have lost my original birth certificate and sent my copy by accident to UCAS when I apply for a new one it could take up to 15days for me to receive it...is that plenty of time for me to send it back to ucas? Just I’m worried it’s not going to get there in time
Thank you :smile:
Hi Naomi,

No problem at all, if you think of anything else you know where to find us :smile:

With regards to your birth certificate, i'd advice contacting UCAS directly to be sure.

Thanks!

(Original post by Naomii1993)
Aww thank you! And I think you’ve pretty much covered everything I wanted to know! It was just mainly like what was involved in the IFY really and if it was a start of criminology etc

There’s one little thing I have lost my original birth certificate and sent my copy by accident to UCAS when I apply for a new one it could take up to 15days for me to receive it...is that plenty of time for me to send it back to ucas? Just I’m worried it’s not going to get there in time
Thank you :smile:
Reply 9
I’m staring sunderland too 😀 I’m 41 so it’s been years since I studied! I’ll be doing Management & Human Resources and the foundation there’s about how to study, academic writing, maths, etc. Maths is a real weakness for me so that’s not the part im most nervous about
I am going to sunderland uni in September to study criminology too! I'm super scared ahah I wish I could make friends and get to know people before
Reply 11
Are you doing the foundation year first or going straight into criminology? We could be friends tag along with each other at freshers if u like
Original post by Bethanylaura99
I am going to sunderland uni in September to study criminology too! I'm super scared ahah I wish I could make friends and get to know people before
Are you doing the foundation year first or going straight into criminology? We could be friends tag along with each other at freshers if u like

im going straight into criminology but we could still be friends and tag along with eachother
Hi there,
Congratulations on your place, we can't wait to welcome you in September!

It's completely normal to be nervous, but I can assure you you have nothing to worry about. We are well known for being friendly, accessible and supportive and your Foundation Year is simply in place to equip you with the skills you need to get the best out of your chosen degree and explore the various career opportunities available.

You will also be supported the whole time with easy access to a range of online learning materials and our friendly staff will support you through your course so you are fully prepared to embark upon the full degree at the end of the Foundation Year. This support will be with you for the duration of your time with us.
And remember, if you are a mature student you won’t be alone here at Sunderland. We have a high proportion of students who have joined our University with work and life experience so you'll fit in straight away. :smile:

Original post by Matstu77
I’m staring sunderland too 😀 I’m 41 so it’s been years since I studied! I’ll be doing Management & Human Resources and the foundation there’s about how to study, academic writing, maths, etc. Maths is a real weakness for me so that’s not the part im most nervous about
Hi Bethany,

Nothing to be scared about, everyone is in the same situation. Our Student Union will be putting on lots of events to suit all interests so there will be plenty of opportunities to meet people.
Why not join our Freshers Facebook group here? This is a great way to find people on your course and get to know them :smile:

Original post by Bethanylaura99
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance 😁🙈

I'm 26 and doing a Foundation Year at Sunderland Uni this year too, however I'm doing Engineering - a little daunting not knowing what to expect but it'll be worth it come 4 years time when I complete the degree! Maybe I'll see you around the campus - glad to see on here that there are a few Mature Students at Sunderland doing a Foundation Year
Engineering is a fascinating course, great choice!
Our Freshers Group on Facebook is filled with students joining us in September, why not join here to find more people on your course? There are many people on there who are mature students too. :smile:

Original post by EngineeringOr
I'm 26 and doing a Foundation Year at Sunderland Uni this year too, however I'm doing Engineering - a little daunting not knowing what to expect but it'll be worth it come 4 years time when I complete the degree! Maybe I'll see you around the campus - glad to see on here that there are a few Mature Students at Sunderland doing a Foundation Year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending