The Student Room Group

Reapplying while in first year.

I've put this here as I doubt people will see it in the Natural Sciences thread.

This is just theoretical considering I haven't got the grades yet.

I've got an offer to study Biology at another university starting in October. I didn't apply to Cambridge last year, but got rejected from Oxford, mostly because, having taken up the course about 3 months late, I got a B in chemistry. I'd love to study Natural Sciences at Cambridge, so I was wondering, if I were to get AAA, how would reapplication while already at another university be looked upon?

I'm studying Biology, Chemistry and English Literature, and I'd want to do Biological.

Scroll to see replies

you don't do maths? lordy.

rebelliousjade
I'd love to study Natural Sciences at Cambridge

hence why you applied to oxford, clearly.

i don't see why they'd take you - if you're not good enough for oxford, why would you be good enough for cambridge? unless you're planning on becoming somehow better in the next 6 months? in this theoretical plan, the uni you're currently attending isn't exactly going to over the moon that you're planning on dropping out before entering. nor will the UK taxpayer. anyway, once you get to uni, you'll be too drunk to be able to do something as complex as apply to another university, plus you'll develop a crush on this guy who lives in your halls and has a really cute smile but you can't quite bring yourself to talk to him and he acts as if you don't exist.
Reply 2
cleverer_than_you

i don't see why they'd take you - if you're not good enough for oxford, why would you be good enough for cambridge? unless you're planning on becoming somehow better in the next 6 months? in this theoretical plan, the uni you're currently attending isn't exactly going to over the moon that you're planning on dropping out before entering. nor will the UK taxpayer. anyway, once you get to uni, you'll be too drunk to be able to do something as complex as apply to another university, plus you'll develop a crush on this guy who lives in your halls and has a really cute smile but you can't quite bring yourself to talk to him and he acts as if you don't exist.

Ok, well to some extent thanks but I think you went off on a tangent at the end there.

I'm fairly certain I was rejected because I had a B in chemistry, obviously that's a large problem for studying biology at degree level. They brought up my low chemistry score in interview, it was quite obvious that they weren't keen on me because of it. This year, yes, I have improved, as I've had the proper amount of time to learn the course. I've gone from bottom of the class to getting the top mark in a unit 4 test.

And yeah, I don't do maths but I thought you could take Elementary Maths for biology if you didn't do A level maths. Tell me if you can't, it'd be nice if you could give advice without resorting to straight mockery.
Reply 3
rebelliousjade
Ok, well to some extent thanks but I think you went off on a tangent at the end there.

I'm fairly certain I was rejected because I had a B in chemistry, obviously that's a large problem for studying biology at degree level. They brought up my low chemistry score in interview, it was quite obvious that they weren't keen on me because of it. This year, yes, I have improved, as I've had the proper amount of time to learn the course. I've gone from bottom of the class to getting the top mark in a unit 4 test.

And yeah, I don't do maths but I thought you could take Elementary Maths for biology if you didn't do A level maths. Tell me if you can't, it'd be nice if you could give advice without resorting to straight mockery.

The fact is you don't do maths - end of pretty much. I know at least for Oxford Chemistry (and I would assume it is the same for Biochemistry which forms a large chunk of the NatSci:Bio course) that you NEED A level maths. Hell some people are even asked for Further Maths.
Some universities offer a crash course in A level maths, but I would imagine that Cambridge do not. To tell it to you straight, and I'm sorry to say this to you, but unless you get a full A level in maths between now and October (which isn't possible...) then you may as well not bother....
Reply 4
cleverer_than_you

hence why you applied to oxford, clearly.

Its known that its comparatively easier to get interviews at Cambridge as opposed to Oxford.
Reply 5
im looking at the cambridge prospectus for natural science right now and it says that you need a level maths, so... yeah. it asks for two sciences and a maths.
Reply 6
"Two A levels out of Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics are the minimum provided that you are happy with a restricted choice of courses in the first year."

But obviously thats a minimum, I doubt Cambridge would ever be the kind of place to go for minimums.

Unusually, a friend attending Oxford for biology (I know, I know) only has chemistry and biology. But there I go, not really relevant I suppose.
Reply 7
i assume that the reason why they ask for a level maths is because everyone has to do maths in the first year
Mos Def
Its known that its comparatively easier to get interviews at Cambridge as opposed to Oxford.

oh really? well that's fascinating. i think the OP is more interested in getting an offer though..
Reply 9
cleverer_than_you
oh really? well that's fascinating. i think the OP is more interested in getting an offer though..

And im sure impressing them at the 1st hurdle will land him an offer.
Reply 10
IChem
The fact is you don't do maths - end of pretty much.

Maths is required for physical natural sciences, but is only preferable for biological natural sciences. Admittedly you're right that only having two sciences is not perfect (a third is "highly desirable), but to say that without maths the OP has no (or only a marginal) chance of getting an offer of biology is just not true. Please don't say things that aren't true, it makes me very upset.
There is only finite time in the world to clear up misconceptions, but here we go.

cleverer_than_you
IChem
The fact is you don't do maths - end of pretty much.

I personally know a bionatsci who only did maths up to GCSE. No maths is difficult, but it's by no means a limiting factor.

cleverer_than_you
i don't see why they'd take you - if you're not good enough for oxford, why would you be good enough for cambridge? unless you're planning on becoming somehow better in the next 6 months?

Isn't that exactly what the OP was planning? Again, I know someone who got rejected from Oxford and is coming to Cambridge next year (for SPS, but that's irrelevant).

rebelliousjade
But obviously thats a minimum, I doubt Cambridge would ever be the kind of place to go for minimums.

You're saying that the subjects they've claimed are the minimum requirements aren't good enough for them? So they're lying? :confused:

summertime_
i assume that the reason why they ask for a level maths is because everyone has to do maths in the first year

Yes, but there are several different maths courses aimed at different ability levels.
rebelliousjade
I've put this here as I doubt people will see it in the Natural Sciences thread.

I've got an offer to study Biology at another university starting in October. I didn't apply to Cambridge last year, but got rejected from Oxford, mostly because, having taken up the course about 3 months late, I got a B in chemistry. I'd love to study Natural Sciences at Cambridge, so I was wondering, if I were to get AAA, how would reapplication while already at another university be looked upon?

I'm studying Biology, Chemistry and English Literature, and I'd want to do Biological.

To address another point here, you cannot apply whist already enrolled at another university. You would have to reject your offer, take a gap year and apply again through UCAS.
http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/startapplication/faqs/eligibility/alreadyatuniversity

I suppose in the end it's really a question of is only biology and chemistry good enough.
rebelliousjade
got rejected from Oxford, mostly because, having taken up the course about 3 months late, I got a B in chemistry.

if this were the reason, surely they would've never called you to interview?
Reply 15
rebelliousjade

I'm just a bit confused by what you're going to do. So say you applied and got in, you would have to drop out of whichever uni you're going to this year and go to Cambridge next year. But if you get rejected , do you just continue at that university like nothing's happened?

Also I think it's best if you email each college regarding what their views are on two sciences rather than three.
cleverer_than_you
if this were the reason, surely they would've never called you to interview?

I dunno, I expect they decided to give me the benefit of the doubt, but they had a lot of good candidates with plenty post A level, and to be honest, if I had a choice of someone who'd already got 3As and someone who'd got a B at AS, even with extenuating circumstances, I know which I'd pick.
You cannot apply while you are attending another university. You must either drop out and apply, or go to this other university. You cannot do both.
I know someone at college who started at sheffield then dropped out and applied to cambridge during her first year. They let her in to do history despite the fact that she only had a B in the subject at a-level.

Regarding minimum requirements- Cambridge wouldn't set 2 science a-levels as its minimum requirements unless it was prepared to accept someone with only two science a-levels.

Go for it.
I have heard of people reapplying, and even getting in while at another university. Perhaps I shouldn't have confused the question, I'm really asking about if two sciences are good enough. Thanks AG.

Latest

Trending

Trending