The Student Room Group

Foundation Year without enough UCAS Points

Basically long story short, I did a City and Guilds certificate in Animal Management for one year and got a Merit overall, the same UCAS points as one E grade A Level. Then I suffered from mental health problems and dropped out before starting the second year, this was in 2016. In 2017 I had a baby and I've been a "full time mum" since then.
I'd like to go back into higher education but the course I'd like to do (Human Biology with a foundation year) has entry requirements of: BTEC Diploma Pass Pass in a relevant subject, which I obviously don't have.
Anyway my question is basically is there any hope they'll accept me? Or should I give up and do something else?
Original post by bonniem1998
Basically long story short, I did a City and Guilds certificate in Animal Management for one year and got a Merit overall, the same UCAS points as one E grade A Level. Then I suffered from mental health problems and dropped out before starting the second year, this was in 2016. In 2017 I had a baby and I've been a "full time mum" since then.
I'd like to go back into higher education but the course I'd like to do (Human Biology with a foundation year) has entry requirements of: BTEC Diploma Pass Pass in a relevant subject, which I obviously don't have.
Anyway my question is basically is there any hope they'll accept me? Or should I give up and do something else?

its best to do an access course first then you might get straight into a degree rather than need to do a foundation year
Hi there @bonniem1998

As @claireestelle says, An Access to HE course may be the best option for you going forward. Some universities may accept a distance/online Access course if it is Accredited, but you would need to contact the universities you are interested in to check so you then know your exact entry requirements.

I have no A-Levels at all, but did an Access to HE course in college to gain entry to university for my Undergraduate course, and although the workload is high, they are well worth the effort. You may also be eligible for an Advanced Learner Loan to pay for the course. An Access course may also remove the need for a Foundation year, but again, you would need to check with the universities themselves.

Good luck!

Fi :horse:

Original post by bonniem1998

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending