The Student Room Group

What is university life like at Birmingham city university in the army

Hi everyone,

I've been looking everywhere but I cannot find am awnser. I want to know what is uni life like if you are in the army.

What's the accomodation like?
Is there extra rules like Curfews?
Can you still go out and party?
Missing lectures consequences
Can you stay outside your accommodation for a few nights if you wanted to?

P.s. I am going to be doing nursing if that helps.
Original post by Jaguar barone
Hi everyone,

I've been looking everywhere but I cannot find am awnser. I want to know what is uni life like if you are in the army.

Can you explain how you are at university and in the army at the same time? What is the context/scheme?
Reply 2
Original post by Jaguar barone
Hi everyone,

When you say you have looked everywhere, have you spoken with the Army recruiters at your local AFCO?
Original post by threeportdrift
Can you explain how you are at university and in the army at the same time? What is the context/scheme?

I imagine they’re asking from a healthcare student perspective.

OP I did my nursing at BCU, we had military students in our cohort, they were housed in a section of halls. I believe they had a bit more freedom compared to troops in barracks, however they were expected to do military training around their nursing course. Attendance is monitored on nursing courses anyway (you have to do 2300 hours of study), but I imagine as a military student not going to a lecture would probably be seen as failing to attend a parade, which you could end up being charged for under military discipline.

I don’t know if they were subject to curfews, but they went out and partied like their civilian counterparts.
Ah thank you, I just wanted a bit of clarification. The Army career center couldn't really give me a straight awnser.

Much appreciated
Original post by moonkatt

OP I did my nursing at BCU, we had military students in our cohort, they were housed in a section of halls. I believe they had a bit more freedom compared to troops in barracks, however they were expected to do military training around their nursing course. Attendance is monitored on nursing courses anyway (you have to do 2300 hours of study), but I imagine as a military student not going to a lecture would probably be seen as failing to attend a parade, which you could end up being charged for under military discipline.

I don’t know if they were subject to curfews, but they went out and partied like their civilian counterparts.

hi, this might sound like a stupid question but I can’t find answer anywhere. Did the military students at Birmingham wear army uniform or just normal clothes like civilians do at university?
Original post by megxedmonds
hi, this might sound like a stupid question but I can’t find answer anywhere. Did the military students at Birmingham wear army uniform or just normal clothes like civilians do at university?

It was a while ago that I was there, but for lectures they worse civvies. I imagine this is still the case.
It was a while ago that I was there, but for lectures they worse civvies. I imagine this is still the case.

okiii thank you :smile:

HI i am a 6th form student and i also wish to join the RAF as a nurse and i just wanted some information about the accommodations.
It says on the BCU website the accommodations will be provided but does that means that i still have to pay for it or not?
Reply 9
Original post by acluelessstuent
HI i am a 6th form student and i also wish to join the RAF as a nurse and i just wanted some information about the accommodations.
It says on the BCU website the accommodations will be provided but does that means that i still have to pay for it or not?

It’s a long time since I’ve been anywhere near BCU, if you are planning on studying as an RAF student nurse you’ll be accommodated by the military (it used to be in halls set aside for military students but I’m not sure if this is still the case). Accommodation fees are usually taken out of wages prior to then being paid in the military as far as I am aware, but this is something you’ll have to get the RAF to clarify tbh
Reply 10
Hi, just wondering, once finishing this course, do you get put on a singular base for 4 years or do you move around a lot and not get to set down roots and is it your decision when and where you move?

Latest