The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

freetofly
I am proud I managed to write about 'My Super Sweet 16' in approaches. That's skill right there.

Haha, brilliant. I almost burst out laughing in my Film Studies exam when I wrote about MySpace in one of the essays :biggrin:
Reply 21
laced
Yes, research means studies and/or theories :smile:

awh thanks guys. hopefully i did ok then. its just i noticed in past papers it specifically said 'cultural bias in theories/studies' i didnt realise research meant all of them. i might just be able to get an A overall.
monica7790
Can some explain to me by cultural bias in RESEARCH. does that include studies and theories. because i have people telling it does and people telling me it doesnt. im confused. thanks

You're fine. If it was only studies, it would be "research evidence" or just "____ studies". Since it just says research, it could be either or both.

If anyone's interested, I've scanned in the exam paper:
Reply 23
Am I odd that I found myself quite enjoying the exam?! Apart from the fact my hand ached!

I was so glad depression came up. That was the one I was best at. Wrote about 5 pages for it and only really focused on 2 explanations! (biochemical and genetic although I evaluated them by adding in a bit of life events and cognitive)

I did the cultural bias one and found it ok. Felt like I should've written more (did 3 pages) but I guess that's not too bad and I was quite pleased with my answer. Wrote about Ainsworth and Bell, Takahashi and Milgram.

I did question 9 for approaches and wrote mainly about the psychoanalytic approach although did behaviourist as the other approach. Didn't think it was too bad either.

So yeah, 1 out of 6 exams so far has been ok!
Reply 24
Someone answer me if the essay on depression was mainly on biological or was it open?
Reply 25
hey has any one got any model essays for the questions that came up?!

That way i can compare wat i wrote and try and establish my mark somehow :P

I did Depression, SSR and 8. :biggrin:
LowRider
Someone answer me if the essay on depression was mainly on biological or was it open?

The quote mentioned biological, but the question was open

Could biological and evolutionary have come under the same approach? I self taught them so not sure..?
Reply 27
LowRider

I *think* it was mainly biological but you could obviously bring in other things.
Reply 28
muhahah then thts ok woooooooooooo predictions pay off yet again :smile:
The quote was something like "Depression runs in families which suggests biological causes... something something age gender and culture"

Then 'discuss causes with reference to issues SUCH AS those mentioned above'

Open to interpretation?
Reply 30
really glad depression came up - i had much more to say for that than schizophrenia!
and im really glad free will and determinism did too!
the approaches question... found it difficult to write enough for psychodynamic explanation of social behaviour but the rest was ok

a lot better than PYA4!!!
Reply 31
i thought it said referring to the above later?
Reply 32
I started with all the biological theories then AO2ed about how they weren't universal (ie. not similar across culture, gender and age). Then went on to psychological theories, and concluded that maybe both contribute.

Well...I almost concluded, my handwriting was kind of illegible at that point...
Reply 33
mmmmmmmmmm post partum depression in men and women that helped with the gender thing
Reply 34
chris1200
Sounds like the perfect essay for that question :smile:

Yay for not relying on predictions! :smile:
Reply 35
i cocked up the exam.:frown:
didnt revise depression.... thought it might come up but had to much else to do.. and i though schizophrenia would come up more!
did SSR, went welll, but then cocked up approaches abit i think... may have managed a C on tht paper.... if im very lucky a B...
but yeh... means i wnt be getting tht A i needed afteralll ....:frown:
hope everyone did better than me!
Reply 36
it went alright, i was well achey and fidgety though cos we had horrible chairs and i did 2 exams today!

but q3 was really good, i wrote loads, not much evaluative stuff though but i was very happy about that. i then did q6 on free will and determinism. i was hoping for psych as a science but o well. it was ok, i didnt have much research but fingers crossed.

i found approaches hardest though, i did q9 and didnt know what to write :frown:

i dont know though maybe a C?
Rhymenocerous
The quote was something like "Depression runs in families which suggests biological causes... something something age gender and culture"

Then 'discuss causes with reference to issues SUCH AS those mentioned above'

Open to interpretation?

Look up; I've scanned in the paper on this post:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=12926564&postcount=23

Anyway, my interpretation is that they definitely wanted you to mention biological explanations, but how much you weighted it was entirely up to you. I focused on genetics for about a page and a half, moved on to biochemical for about a page or so, then wrote 3/4 of a page of overall evaluation, talking about how we should consider psychological explanations because biological treatments are lacking, then finished off by briefly outlining the diathesis-stress explanation as an alternative explanation.
fizzie90
i cocked up the exam.:frown:
didnt revise depression.... thought it might come up but had to much else to do.. and i though schizophrenia would come up more!

same! I barely even had a vague knowledge, i wrote like a page, while my beautifully planned and crafted schizophrenia essay was reduced to irrelevance in the back of my mind :frown:

Other two went brilliantly as well, I'll just get destroyed by the 4/30 or something mark on depression (we barely even did it in class so i literally had no knowledge)
Reply 39
touchofclass
same! I barely even had a vague knowledge, i wrote like a page, while my beautifully planned and crafted schizophrenia essay was reduced to irrelevance in the back of my mind :frown:

Other two went brilliantly as well, I'll just get destroyed by the 4/30 or something mark on depression (we barely even did it in class so i literally had no knowledge)

haha, exactly the same, like i knew everything on schizophrenia :frown: ill be lucky to get like 6marks!
just hope tht by some miracle i got full marks last paper and full marks on other two essays... lol... but realistically i know tht didnt happen :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending