The Student Room Group

Self-teaching languages over summer progression thread!

Scroll to see replies

This has inspired me too pick up a language

i was going too take welsh classes at uni but i may start now..

it's different plus will come in handy!!
Reply 21
Planning to keep up with my German, and get to work on Swedish again. I used to be quite good at Swedish, but forgotten it all while I've been in Germany :frown:
Yay! I'm glad there are many others brushing up on language skills over the coming months.
Reply 23
I'm trying to learn Italian at the moment :biggrin:
Reply 24
Starting from July the 1st I will begin teaching myself Japanese and Spanish daily (or as close to daily as I can get away with) until Summer 2009 exam period when I will hopefully sit GCSEs in those two languages.

I have come to an agreement with 1 Senior/ Head of Department and 2 Subject Heads at a Uni, that means if I score B or above at GCSE in those courses then I can (provided I get my A level grades as well) be accepted (if there is room) on a TESOL and dual MFL degree on Summer 2009.

Fortunately I have very very flexible working hours, a lot of support and resources so it will be somewhat more manageable than if I had to stick to a Colleges or Works schedule.
Reply 25
Japanese, and brushing up on my dutch.

I'll start tomorrow.
Reply 26
I've been wanting to try and build up my German vocab before I go and work out there later this summer but at the same time I've been really tempted to try out a new language this summer too. Something a bit out of the ordinary like Norwegian/Danish really appeals but I'm not sure how worthwhile it would be as I'm starting Russian from scratch in September and so that's going to have to take priority. Similarly I really wouldn't mind learning some Finnish but the hugely complex grammar and fairly short timespan is rather off-putting at the moment. Decisions!

Heh, here's everybody talking about Spanish/French and I come out with languages like these! :p:
French. The Michel Thomas CDs I bought are amazing. I only have a C at GCSE, but I have learnt much more in the past two weeks than I ever did at school! I'm hoping to be all but fluent by the time I go to university, as then I have to learn Latin and Ancient Greek. :biggrin:
I'm hoping to learn Japanese but because I'm always awful at pronunciation I'm going to start by learning the writing and then try and get a tutor for the speaking later on (as theres no tutors, that I can find, near me).
jismith1989
French. The Michel Thomas CDs I bought are amazing. I only have a C at GCSE, but I have learnt much more in the past two weeks than I ever did at school! I'm hoping to be all but fluent by the time I go to university, as then I have to learn Latin and Ancient Greek. :biggrin:

Smith you suave bastard, sup? I was going to say we must form some sort of Latin support group through uni, and involve as many as possible in spoken Latin and compositions.
The Lyceum
Smith you suave bastard, sup? I was going to say we must form some sort of Latin support group through uni, and involve as many as possible in spoken Latin and compositions.

Haha. That sounds like an excellent idea. Sponsored, of course, by the Classics Society. :p: We could even have competitions and such for people's compositions. How exciting! :biggrin:

Will you be learning Latin for the first time at university like myself, by the way?
jismith1989
Haha. That sounds like an excellent idea. Sponsored, of course, by the Classics Society. :p: We could even have competitions and such for people's compositions. How exciting! :biggrin:

Will you be learning Latin for the first time at university like myself, by the way?

Ah no, I've had some little instruction in it before but my crap school dropped it :frown: but for all intents and purposes I guess yes. Not to worry I'm a quick learner with a firm command of English! However I'm somewhat upset, after hearing my voice for Latin out loud. It sounded nothing like it does in my head :frown:

This summer my aim is to memorise books 1 and 4 of the Aenied :smile:
Reply 32
I'm trying to do French by the Michel Thomas method, if anyone knows it. Got only a C at GCSE and wanted to revive. Only done 3 hours but going really well. I understand how sentences work better than i ever did already, instead of just memorising set phrases
GrantMac
I'm trying to do French by the Michel Thomas method, if anyone knows it. Got only a C at GCSE and wanted to revive. Only done 3 hours but going really well. I understand how sentences work better than i ever did already, instead of just memorising set phrases

Ooh, me too. It's very good. I've almost finished the 'foundation' course -- and am conjugating verbs and such with ease! I only got a C at GCSE too! The advanced course is on my desk ready to be started. :biggrin:
By the way, anyone interested, see my sig for my personal tips on learning languages. :smile:
I'm hoping to learn italian basics
and to do a fair amount of french and spanish in order to prevent me from failing my AS levels in them :redface:
Reply 36
jismith1989
Ooh, me too. It's very good. I've almost finished the 'foundation' course -- and am conjugating verbs and such with ease! I only got a C at GCSE too! The advanced course is on my desk ready to be started. :biggrin:

:biggrin:
It is really very good. Obviously i'm not a good gauge for the long term effects but i can talk french way more confidently already, and been finding it really enjoyable too. I'm going to order the advanced one soon. I wish i'd done it before i went to Paris in March.

I suggest that anyone looks it up. There's nothing but good things said about it. He does a French, Italian, German and Spanish one. There's also Arabic and Mandarin Chinese by his method but not him (he's dead now :frown:).
- Italian
- Teeline

The latter being shorthand, but it is basically another language haha!
Reply 38
I'm aiming to start on Spanish this summer. Then by next summer hopefully I can go on my South America trip that i'm thinking of :biggrin:

It's just so hard to get started.

Good luck everybody!
Reply 39
Cool thread!

I need to keep my Japanese up (gotten waaay rusty -.-) and also I'm picking up German :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending