The Student Room Group

Self-teaching languages over summer progression thread!

Scroll to see replies

CatatonicStupor
Haha, I signed up for this thinking it'd be a breeze. Darn the distractions of the modern world (namely videogames, music, and TSR.)

My Portuguese is going so slowly, that I may as well have just not learnt it. I know as much now, as when my Spanish teacher told us some random Portuguese words last year. Tomorrow, I'll knuckle down. I'll have to promise it to myself. Especially since I told a teacher I'd come back to school for a chat with her...
Yet again, I may have to force myself to put Japanese to one side, so I can concentrate fully on Portuguese. "Sim? Tudo bem? Sim!".

Two random questions (one for people doing a language similar to one they know already; and one for anyone who has ever studied a language):

"How are you getting around pronunciation?" It's the death of me. I know the meaning of the words I see and learn, but I can't for the life of me say them without going using the Spanish "say-it-as-you-see-it" method, when I need to be in a "say-it-through-your-nose" mindset. [And before anyone directs me to GE's thread, I've been there, and that's why I'm using CDs and such, and repeating to myself...]

"Is it worth getting in newspapers from the 'target' language, with even this minimal knowledge?" I'm planning on asking my newsagents to order in a copy of La Vanguardia or La Razon so I can keep up with my Spanish, but is it worth getting in a copy of Diario de Noticias or Publico from Portugal at this early stage?

Try reading a Wikipedia article in your language of choice on a topic you like.
CatatonicStupor
"How are you getting around pronunciation?" It's the death of me. I know the meaning of the words I see and learn, but I can't for the life of me say them without going using the Spanish "say-it-as-you-see-it" method, when I need to be in a "say-it-through-your-nose" mindset. [And before anyone directs me to GE's thread, I've been there, and that's why I'm using CDs and such, and repeating to myself...]

Of course, pronunciation's difficult to get your head around, but I'm sure with practice you'll get there. How long have you been learning the language for? You'll probably find that, the more words you listen to and read at the same time, the easier it will be for you to see a word and be able to tell how it sounds or hear a word and be able to guess how it's spelt. I have difficulties with this too with Chinese, for what it's worth. It's not an easy thing to do, particularly if you're simultaneously trying to separate Portuguese from Spanish in your mind.

Portuguese has a few weird pronunciation difficulties, too, like the letter "x" which can be pronounced in about 5 different ways. It's unsurprising that you're having trouble as a beginner.

CatatonicStupor
"Is it worth getting in newspapers from the 'target' language, with even this minimal knowledge?" I'm planning on asking my newsagents to order in a copy of La Vanguardia or La Razon so I can keep up with my Spanish, but is it worth getting in a copy of Diario de Noticias or Publico from Portugal at this early stage?

I'd say no, it's a bit pointless. Maybe look for some simplified news on the internet, even for your Spanish; newspapers are often written in a bit of a weird style. (Edit: there's a few kids' news sites out there with simplified news, but even they can be hard to read for beginners.) Of course, if you can handle it in Spanish, go for it, but if it's way above your current ability, don't try, you'll just get stressed.
generalebriety
Of course, pronunciation's difficult to get your head around, but I'm sure with practice you'll get there. How long have you been learning the language for? You'll probably find that, the more words you listen to and read at the same time, the easier it will be for you to see a word and be able to tell how it sounds or hear a word and be able to guess how it's spelt. I have difficulties with this too with Chinese, for what it's worth. It's not an easy thing to do, particularly if you're simultaneously trying to separate Portuguese from Spanish in your mind.

Portuguese has a few weird pronunciation difficulties, too, like the letter "x" which can be pronounced in about 5 different ways. It's unsurprising that you're having trouble as a beginner.

I've been learning this since this thread started, so, uhm, since Monday? I've mastered most of the pronunciation, with things for the basics, like how "ch" is "sh", and g and j are quite close to being "sh" but aren't exactly... The big ones that are bringing me 'down' are the more nasal sounding words like "bem" and "sim", "nao" and "irmao", because I see "beM" and "siM", "naO" and "irmaO", but they're pronounced more like "bein" "shi", "nou" and "irma-o" from what I'm listening to.

I'll just keep soldiering on - though it does annoy me that none of the books I'm using tell me how to pronounce the "ao" on the end of words, and I have to do it all by ear.

I'd say no, it's a bit pointless. Maybe look for some simplified news on the internet, even for your Spanish; newspapers are often written in a bit of a weird style. (Edit: there's a few kids' news sites out there with simplified news, but even they can be hard to read for beginners.) Of course, if you can handle it in Spanish, go for it, but if it's way above your current ability, don't try, you'll just get stressed.

I've been reading Spanish news sites since the end of Year 12, so I'm used to how La Vanguardia, ABC, El Mundo and La Razon write. So, it doesn't make much difference with that.

But, I'll hunt around for some sites in Portuguese once I get up to speed with it. :smile: And use The Lyceum's tip of using wikipedia (since I find it fun to read Spanish wikis, so it might be the same for Portuguese ones later on). Just me, a dictionary, and a cup of coffee - what a way to spend my summer.:p:
CatatonicStupor
I've been learning this since this thread started, so, uhm, since Monday? I've mastered most of the pronunciation, with things for the basics, like how "ch" is "sh", and g and j are quite close to being "sh" but aren't exactly... The big ones that are bringing me 'down' are the more nasal sounding words like "bem" and "sim", "nao" and "irmao", because I see "beM" and "siM", "naO" and "irmaO", but they're pronounced more like "bein" "shi", "nou" and "irma-o" from what I'm listening to.

I'll just keep soldiering on - though it does annoy me that none of the books I'm using tell me how to pronounce the "ao" on the end of words, and I have to do it all by ear.

A Portuguese book I happen to own (though I've never studied it, so I can't vouch for this) says "ao" is pronounced "ah'oh", and "ão" is pronounced "ah'oon", where that n is nasal. So "irmao" will be pronounced "ir-ma-oh", and "não" will be pronounced "na-oo(n)".

CatatonicStupor
I've been reading Spanish news sites since the end of Year 12, so I'm used to how La Vanguardia, ABC, El Mundo and La Razon write. So, it doesn't make much difference with that.

But, I'll hunt around for some sites in Portuguese once I get up to speed with it. :smile: And use The Lyceum's tip of using wikipedia (since I find it fun to read Spanish wikis, so it might be the same for Portuguese ones later on). Just me, a dictionary, and a cup of coffee - what a way to spend my summer.:p:

Not a bad plan at all. :biggrin: Something to aspire to when my Turkish gets better, I think...
generalebriety
A Portuguese book I happen to own (though I've never studied it, so I can't vouch for this) says "ao" is pronounced "ah'oh", and "ão" is pronounced "ah'oon", where that n is nasal. So "irmao" will be pronounced "ir-ma-oh", and "não" will be pronounced "na-oo(n)".

Ahhhh :biggrin: Obrigado. Muchas Gracias. And thank you. I'll add it to the pronunciation stuff I wrote up earlier.

The university text book my Spanish teacher lent me told me how to pronounce ã but not what to do when it coupled up with an o (at least not in the sections i've read so far.) - and i thought, it'd be a bit bad if i couldn't even pronoune "no"...:redface:

But, that's a really helpful bit of stuff. Now I can get stuck in with learning the actual language now...hopefully. :smile:
I think it's so cool that people are putting in the effort to teach themselves a language over the summer. Now that's dedication :smile:

well this summer i plan to keep going over Russian because I don't think I put enough effort into my first year of it.. and also attempt to refresh my memory on the French that I know.. even though it has been a good 5/6 years since I last did it, as I am doing a beginners course next year at uni along with my two other languages and I reckon, why not give yourself a heads up?

I'm really interested to know how other people are keeping up with their learning, and the hardest thing for me is being persistent about it considering I have a job and also since I'm only back for a couple months, want to spend a lot of time out and about with friends etc. but yeah.. here's hoping that the plans don't all fade away after a week.

Good luck to everyone who is attempting it though. It obviously isn't the easiest task in the world. And any questions you have about languages that I am currently studying.. (ie. German and Russian) feel free to give me a PM. I'm not an expert by any means.. but I like to help where possible.
I still can't believe you guys are self-teaching Chinese. I'm sure I'll work myself up to that one day, but it would just seem such an unclimbable mountain for me. Keep on going! :biggrin:

In other news, my Spanish grammar textbook is really quite interesting.
jonnythemoose
I still can't believe you guys are self-teaching Chinese. I'm sure I'll work myself up to that one day, but it would just seem such an unclimbable mountain for me. Keep on going! :biggrin:

In other news, my Spanish grammar textbook is really quite interesting.

For what it's worth, I'm a bit bored of Chinese already. :p: I don't have many good resources for it, and my Turkish needs improving. May give up Chinese for now and just concentrate on the others.
Russian is amazing :biggrin: I love it already and I've only done two chapters!
I just got Pimsleur Mandarin Chinese today and it's really really good - they use memory techniques so that you retain the information in your long-term memory. Anyone else used Pimsleur for anything? I really recommend it... expensive though!!
davedave4619
I just got Pimsleur Mandarin Chinese today and it's really really good - they use memory techniques so that you retain the information in your long-term memory. Anyone else used Pimsleur for anything? I really recommend it... expensive though!!

Yes, that's what I was using. The only problem is that if you can't see it written down in pinyin, you can never really be sure that you're saying what they're saying, because some of the letters sound so similar...
I'm taking a Spanish Module next year during the 2nd year of my Degree in Biochemistry - worth 5% the total degree (as much as the first year!) It's for people who haven't studied it before at all, so I guess the standard will be similar to GCSE or something. I think I'm pretty good at picking up languages naturally (A*/A* in french/german gcse), so bearing this in mind, can anyone recomend me a book to read over the summer so I can effectively self teach myself alot of the basics? I'm not after some cheesy book with set phrases for your holiday, I probably learn best by looking at grammar and verb structures. Thanks In advance?
Horrorshow
I'm taking a Spanish Module next year during the 2nd year of my Degree in Biochemistry - worth 5% the total degree (as much as the first year!) It's for people who haven't studied it before at all, so I guess the standard will be similar to GCSE or something. I think I'm pretty good at picking up languages naturally (A*/A* in french/german gcse), so bearing this in mind, can anyone recomend me a book to read over the summer so I can effectively self teach myself alot of the basics. I'm not after some cheesy book with set phrases for your holiday, I probably learn best by looking at grammar and verb structures. Thanks In advance.

Then buy a grammar book. :p: I have "A Spanish Learning Grammar" (Hodder Arnold), which is basically a textbook that explains grammar from the beginning and very thoroughly. (I recommend it, actually.) Work through that and you'll probably be up to A-level standard grammar, and then all you have to do in your Spanish module is pick up a bit of fluency and get in some practice, learn some vocab, etc. You shouldn't need to buy a dictionary yet - http://www.wordreference.com/ will do you.
Excellent I'll take your word for it, that one will do :smile:
Horrorshow
Excellent I'll take your word for it, that one will do :smile:

Cool. :smile: Of course, if you use this grammar book for a while and then talk to Spanish people on, say, msn or TSR, using your dictionary / wordreference, you'll be picking lots up before your course even starts. :smile:
Reply 95
Ok I hit a huge brick wall with my chinese (mandarin) learning !

I think I've mastered hello, goodbye, my name is etc. I think. But I'm so self-conscious to practise it out loud, even when I'm on my own in the house! I always thought my self-consciousness with regards to language was because I hated my old class at A level and there were about 2 nice people in it.
Maybe it's a general thing though! Ahh. don't know how to get over the shyness!

I keep wanting to join www.italki (like you suggested davedave! :biggrin:) but I'm so self-conscious I can't make myself do it...also I don't have a microphone, but that's besides the point.

Btw I'm using 'Collouqial chinese - complete course for beginners' book for learning chinese. it's good but takes in a lot at one time, I've done Lesson 1 about twelve times now! Haven't got the tapes though; using podcasts etc.
Jeg laerer Norsk! Jeg kommer fra Bristol! Men jeg skall bor i Norge!

That's right! I'm learning Norwegian and thats about as far as I've got! The, Hi! my name is.... how are you? stage!

I'm moving to Norway for work in september and would like to have basic conversational Norwegian learnt by then, i think it'd be rude not to!

Anyone speak it?
Reply 97
Zoedotdot
Russian is amazing :biggrin: I love it already and I've only done two chapters!

The language sounds so beautiful...although my knowledge of it goes little beyond "privyet" and "do svidaniya" :p:

My Italian learning is going ok so far...:smile:

I am also about to begin learning German from scratch...is there any material on the internet (eg podcasts) that can help me with the pronunciation? I can't seem to find any useful ones!
OnlyMe!
The language sounds so beautiful...although my knowledge of it goes little beyond "privyet" and "do svidaniya" :p:

My Italian learning is going ok so far...:smile:

I am also about to begin learning German from scratch...is there any material on the internet (eg podcasts) that can help me with the pronunciation? I can't seem to find any useful ones!

If you just google "German pronunciation" you'll find plenty of helpful websites.
LieDown
Ok I hit a huge brick wall with my chinese (mandarin) learning !

I think I've mastered hello, goodbye, my name is etc. I think. But I'm so self-conscious to practise it out loud, even when I'm on my own in the house!

Then you're destined to fail. Read: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=421620.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending