The Student Room Group

Best college bar?

I've just returned from a trip to England (I live in Sweden) where I visited some universities (Cambridge, Oxford and Durham).

I am applying for the LLM course (postgrad) and I am thinking of applying to:
1. Pembroke
2. Magdalene

I want a college where I as a postgrad can get accommodation in the main college site.

Any comments about these colleges? Or do you perhaps recommend any other colleges?

Oh oh oh and... which college has the best bar? :P (Not only between Pembroke and Magdalene but all colleges)

THANKS!

PS. Any people from Pembroke or Magdalene here that are willing to answer some more questions via e-mail?

Scroll to see replies

Sabina

Any comments about these colleges? Or do you perhaps recommend any other colleges?

Oh oh oh and... which college has the best bar? :P (Not only between Pembroke and Magdalene but all colleges)

hey sabina!
i don't know that much about postgrad accomodation...magdalene is very pretty and pembroke has a pretty good location, but neither is as pretty or as well-located as king's (hey, ok, so i'm biased:P), which also has the best bar in my opinion...opens pretty late and has a fair amount of stuff going on :smile:
N x
Reply 2
When I visited the Faculty of Law in Cambridge they did not recommend me to apply to King's because King's college appearantly like to take in their own undergraduates for postgrad study :frown:. If not, I'd apply there of course :wink:
Reply 3
emmanuel bar is considered pretty damn good....it's the cheapest place in town...quite modern...but the downside is it can be stupidly busy!
Reply 4
Come to Newnham!
Reply 5
Clare bar all the way! Don't listen to those Emma reprobates. :tongue:
Reply 6
hehe, I understand that you all believe that YOUR college's bar is the best, but try and be objective. :biggrin:
Reply 7
i am being objective....I personally dont think my bar is that great...but I dont drink (much). For my drinking buddies, they think it's a great place! But even not drinking, they all seem to be quite cool people when they get drunk! So I AM being objective when i say emma bar is the best.....it beats clare cellers....u can actually get a mobile reception in ours! :tongue:
Reply 8
Willa
I AM being objective when i say emma bar is the best.....it beats clare cellers....u can actually get a mobile reception in ours! :tongue:

Lol, I'm applying to emma but I had a Clare open day....
...I must admit, when I popped down to the Cellars they seemed titchy! :tongue:
Just a little bit claustrophobic for me, being 6'4.

And I don't doubt the mobile reception thing for a second. :rolleyes:
Reply 9
Sabina
hehe, I understand that you all believe that YOUR college's bar is the best, but try and be objective. :biggrin:

I am! we have comedy nights on wednesday, it's very cheap, and all the guys in there are with their girlfriends so you're unlikely to be mauled.
Reply 10
naelse
I am! we have comedy nights on wednesday, it's very cheap, and all the guys in there are with their girlfriends so you're unlikely to be mauled.

Great dedicatation and all that but honnestly, our bar is really the last reason for choosing Newnham! Things are changing though (I take all the responsiblity for that :tongue: Mondays are working out nicely!) apparently there was a hum from it last night! For someone that doesn't drink much I drink a heck of a lot in our bar...my poor poor liver, it wasn't at all prepared for this!
I'm into college crawling and I couldn't advise either for their bars. Some mature colleges have great bars - St Ed's and Darwin, for example.

Kings is good, Catz is really well laid out, Tit Hall is nice in a sort of exceedingly small sort of way and Girton is best of all.. I mean that - visit Girton at least once! :smile:
Reply 12
You can get some reception in cellars now, though admittedly it's not great. And yeah, it would be claustrophobic if you're really tall. But the drinks are v cheap, and the atmosphere, especially on ents nights is fantastic. I haven't been to Emma bar, so can't compare though, but if Will gets his arse into gear I'll be on my way there this time next week.
Reply 13
I can get mobile reception in clare cellars :biggrin: You just have to know where to stand =P
Reply 14
Corpus bar looks like a proper traditional pub! Cauis bar is spooky, just like their college, very scary looking!
Corpus is the one I would choose, just from the bars I've seen. But then I'm a pubby kinda gal :smile:
Reply 16
Our pub is indeed cozy. Very nice to sit in during the daytime too for a good gossip session.

Corpus postgrads live off site, but they still eat lunch here and come to our slacks and so on. And by off site I mean 10 mins away, closer than some colleges' undergraduate hostels...we have a high grad:undergrad ratio apparently, so worth looking into.
Jesus is best :biggrin:
Reply 18
sidney is stupidly cheap, and never busy, except for bop nights. i have heard though that kings and emma have the best bars of all the colleges. haven't visited them yet though so can't comment much more
Reply 19
priya
sidney is stupidly cheap, and never busy, except for bop nights. i have heard though that kings and emma have the best bars of all the colleges. haven't visited them yet though so can't comment much more

Kings is very airport-loungey/cross-channel ferry now :frown:

Better red than dead.

Oh and apparently random college people have to pay full whack on drinks now, which is really ****.

A.

Latest

Trending

Trending