The Student Room Group

Civil engineering.

Chose civil engineer as my subject course at uni. I only have a C maths grade at GCSE and did not follow it up at A Level. Nor did I choose any subject that would really help me. Went in today and didn’t have a ****ing clue what the lecturer was going on about as he was showing all these advanced equations on the board. If I stick it out will I start to understand it or will the learning curve be to vast as I have till the end of the week to change subject.
Original post by cee.costa
Chose civil engineer as my subject course at uni. I only have a C maths grade at GCSE and did not follow it up at A Level. Nor did I choose any subject that would really help me. Went in today and didn’t have a ****ing clue what the lecturer was going on about as he was showing all these advanced equations on the board. If I stick it out will I start to understand it or will the learning curve be to vast as I have till the end of the week to change subject.

Does the course run optional catch up maths sessions ? Without this I think you are really going to struggle. The equations going up on day one will be very much the basic stuff. Look at the course spec and if (as I expect it does) you need calculus and differential equations you really need to re-think this ASAP. I strongly suggest you have a sit down with your personal tutor / course organiser to work through this and get some candid advice, I am pretty surprized they let you onto an engineering course without A level maths, what Uni is this ?
Reply 2
It’s LJMU and they let me in because I did pretty well in my A Levels I’m pretty sure theirs optional maths catchup. It’s a career I’d love to do but I didn’t realise how intense the maths would be straight off the bat.
Reply 3
Original post by Mr Wednesday
Does the course run optional catch up maths sessions ? Without this I think you are really going to struggle. The equations going up on day one will be very much the basic stuff. Look at the course spec and if (as I expect it does) you need calculus and differential equations you really need to re-think this ASAP. I strongly suggest you have a sit down with your personal tutor / course organiser to work through this and get some candid advice, I am pretty surprized they let you onto an engineering course without A level maths, what Uni is this ?

I am willing to put the work in but I need to know I have a chance to do well as I haven’t gone to university to come out with a 3rd. Yeah will definitely contact my personal tutor tomorrow.
Original post by cee.costa
I am willing to put the work in but I need to know I have a chance to do well as I haven’t gone to university to come out with a 3rd. Yeah will definitely contact my personal tutor tomorrow.

Ok, good luck with that. I recommend complete honesty in that conversation, be very clear about your current level of maths skills and ask your tutor if they have seen people end up do well from your starting point. If so, how ? What kinds of extra maths can they offer you to get you up to speed ?

Quick Reply

Latest