The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Yes. You can and i wish i did. But don't be too off put if they reject you because you're so young. Also, getting accomodation/going out and other stuff will be difficult if you go at 16. Are there really bad problems at home or something cos i would reccomend you stay on otherwise. Plus, you'll probably get into better Unis if you're that little bit older.
You'd usually apply during your last year (your fifth year), for entry either after that year or one year hence for deferred entry (if you're taking a gap year, for example). You can't even submit your UCAS application until September though, so there's no desperate rush (I think you even have until June before you have to consider Clearing). Speak to your careers adviser when you go back to school.

So yes, you could apply this cycle - although be aware that because we leave a year early, lots of English universities won't take candidates without an A level or higher equivalent such as Advanced Highers. On the other hand, there are plenty good Scottish universities.

If you're going to go to a Scottish university, and you think you're ready for university and that sixth year won't gain you anything that you can't get from university, then you may well want to apply. I wrote to Edinburgh about entry in fifth year and they said that, given my circumstances, then sixth year may have been a waste of time as they'd almost certainly give me a conditional on my Highers (I had 4 As at Int 2, 4 1s at SG; predicted 5 As at Higher - so similar to yourself there). I only decided to stay on for sixth year to 'round' myself (i.e. voluntary service) and to give myself the option of applying to English universities.

Latest

Trending

Trending