The Student Room Group

Strongman - Journey to British Novice Finals

Posted here a year or so ago...… figured it will help with motivation to keep a blog.

Main goal currently is putting on weight. Currently 5"10 and 208lbs or so..... Next competition is a max Deadlift and Max log (3 attempts after opener at each) Looking for a 300kg+ deadlift and a 120 log (weak shoulders, for now).

Training 5 days a week. Will probably post most workouts, just leaving out accessories.

Here is what I've done for the main exercises so far this week.

Monday - Squats - Had week off with knee injury, 180kg would normally fly up without much effort but felt grindy today.
Warmups (20,70,110,140,160,175)
180 * 8 (5 SETS)

Tuesday - OHP (Usually use a log but issue with forearm so bar for this week. Below chin to lockout)
Warmups (20, 30, 60, 75, 80)
85 * 8 (5 sets)

Rest day tomorrow and the Bench Thursday, Deadlifts Friday and events training Saturday.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Think I followed your Instagram a while ago. You're bloody strong and your coach seems to love high rep squats. I hate them.
Original post by illusionz
Think I followed your Instagram a while ago. You're bloody strong and your coach seems to love high rep squats. I hate them.

What's your insta?

Thanks!! My issue is i seem to go through breakups every time i get going well and i just stop eating for week losing gains. Just coming out of that now thankfully and back on it. Deadlift session tonight to check how i am after a **** last week.

I love them too tbf especially since i do them at what i thinks a heavy weight for me.
Friday - Deadlifts ( supposed to be yesterday but had parents evening till 7.30pm, hadnt eaten great so just went pub for abit then bed)

Warmups. Bar, 60*8 100*5 140*3 160*2 180*1
180*8 (4 sets)
180*22 (2/3 off max) hit 175*22 few weeks back when i was feeling 100%. Felt about 50% today after a **** 8/9 days of little food and crap emotion. So im feeling a tad happier today i got the reps.

Mate told me about strongman at bodypower next May. Definitely looking into it as its supposed to be a well run competiton with some money prizes. But for now its all about max deadlift and log in December.

I think a few people on here could have a good shot at first timers/novice. Light weights so all about speed and max reps. Message for any info about it. Or its on Facebook.
Wait, was that 180kg deadlift for 22 reps? Jesus christ.

My insta isn't very interesting, no lifting on it. Its mostly food and my South East Asia travels 😂
Original post by illusionz
Wait, was that 180kg deadlift for 22 reps? Jesus christ.

My insta isn't very interesting, no lifting on it. Its mostly food and my South East Asia travels 😂

Hahaha yes it was.....cardio mate 😂😂😂
JFC 22 reps at 4 plates

**** me am I weak
Original post by Angry cucumber
JFC 22 reps at 4 plates

**** me am I weak

Hoodie on and a big sniff of ammonia. Adds a good 5 reps. I finished my last rep and stood shaking for a few seconds, couldn't move.....painful set
Squats - Tuesday (meant to be yesterday)

Warmups....
180*8 (2 sets)
180*12 @8

Dropped so much weight and feek drained but happy with today. I was bouncing 180 up and down easyyy a few weeks ago but had to work the reps today.

I crave physical and emotional connection with partners but im thinking when the breakups cause me to lose time in the gym i question if its worth it. Generally i date younger women, 19-22 (im 23). But i think maybe older would be better now. I am aware this isnt a relationship thread but just wanted to get it out there that these things really affect my gym performance and when that drops my life falls apart. Everything riding on my goals in strongman right now hence why im training so hard.

On a positive note im back on 5000 cals as of today (207lbs ish) and want to get back to 215-220 next few weeks.
Sorry to hear about the break up and how it's effecting you. You're gonna make it.

As a slightly older guy (28) I would always go for someone a year or two younger. You don't want their biological clock ticking loudly when you're still mid-late 20s.

Well I don't, at least.
Ignore age, find someone who's a good fit
New week and back on it.

Monday - Squats (did these at 6am as got a longish drive down to Wales today)

190*8
200*8 ( 3 sets)

Very very hard session. I've lost 6lbs at least and I can feel it.
Not to sound like someone who's read modern hippy stuff like 7 Habits, but if your value is attached to your gym sessions, how are you gonna feel if you get injured or age? Both external stuff you can't control. Figure out what your true centre is.

Your lifts are monster mate. I've never seen anyone do 180kg deadlift cardio. I'd happily watch you do that for inspiration!
Original post by silent ninja
Not to sound like someone who's read modern hippy stuff like 7 Habits, but if your value is attached to your gym sessions, how are you gonna feel if you get injured or age? Both external stuff you can't control. Figure out what your true centre is.

Your lifts are monster mate. I've never seen anyone do 180kg deadlift cardio. I'd happily watch you do that for inspiration!

I just hope when ive aged and the injuries come my trophy collection is big enough to make me happy.

England lost so I'm pretty happy. Sorry fellas but being welsh we would never hear the end of it from you if you'd won.

Deadlifts yesterday... (bench later on)
Warmups
200*8 2 sets
200*14 @9 (lungs genuinely gave up before strength, cardio 👀😑) really wanted 18 but wasnt to be.

Feeling a tad off still but I think im finding the motivation again.
Bench...poor session
Warmups
135*6 ( goal was 3 sets of 8 at 135)
125*8
120*8 dropped weight to make sure I got 8.

Max deadlift and max log in 5 weeks.....im confident il pull a 300+ dead out the bag even with my weight loss.

Got a rough idea of my diet now so hopefully weight and strength will be back next couple weeks.
Struggling to find the motivation to eat now 😑 anyway still feeling strong.

Strict OHP day.... last week's session was horrible so felt like id be weak today.
20*10
40*8
65*5
90*3
95*2
100*4 ( locked out every rep. Braced on my belt better so fairly happy with these. I know if training and diet had been going well I would be on 8 reps but im still content)

Deadlifts tomorrow were il try get 15 reps on 220kg. Best rep set is 260*8.
Deadlifts........ I was optimistic today but maybe abit too much considering past few weeks.

Warmups
220*9 @8 (would have liked a few more as ive done 260*8 previously)
Bench: felt good today
Upto 145*6 @9
Far from my best and where I should be but it's a step in the right direction.

Managed 5000 cals yesterday. On track to get 5000 today. Hopefully I can keep this going and put the weight/strength back on ready for a good 300+ pull.
Peaking for comp now.....still keeping squats in even though it's only a max deadlift and log press. Just taking the squatting easy

Squats
Warm-up
170 5*5
170*12 @7

Log press tomorrow on the 13 incher.....should be fun as pressed it only once before but that's what's being used at comp so need to get used to it.
Deadlifts
Only 14 days till max log/deadlift comp.

280*1 (wasn't programmed but I'm stupid and wanted to know 300 is in me after another crap week of diet and motivation)

220 5*5 (these were on the programme)

Quick Reply

Latest