The Student Room Group

Strongman - Journey to British Novice Finals

Scroll to see replies

That 280 looked easy.
Original post by illusionz
That 280 looked easy.

Thanks!

I was strapped to the bar for a good 2 minutes afraid I wouldnt pull it haha.
Comps 7th December. Keeping reps up, nothing heavy yet.

Deadlifts.
Warm-ups
240*10 (used a stiff bar making this harder. Get to use a deadlift bar at comp so lots of give making the pull higher and easier)

280*1 from last week has shown how high rep medium weight is perfectly good for gaining strength without hitting heavy triples. Russians have been doing this for years.
Thought id give a brief update on my plans for the upcoming year. My goal is to win the British Novice Finals which are being held 19th Septemeber 2020. To get there though i have to qualify. I had chosen to compete at bodypower in May 2020 before realising it was actually a qualifier for the novice final. So now im going to have to place top 3 out of 60 in that. The margin for error when there are 60 people is zero and the weights arent even heavy so its more of a cardio competition unfortunately.

I will list key dates below along with the events il be doing (subject to change).

7th December 2019 - Max log and Deadlift

May 2020 - Bodypower Novice
EVENTS:

▶️Event 1 Car Deadlift 180KG
▶️Event 2 Log 80KG
▶️Event 3 Farmers 100KG X In each hand
▶️Event 4 Yoke 220KG
▶️Event 5 Loading Race 70-120KG X 4

19th September 2020 - British Novice finals
EVENTS:

Event 1 240Kg Deadlift (Type TBC)

Event 2 110Kg Rebel Axle Press for Reps. floor to over head every rep. 2" Axle Bar 15" pick up height

Event 3 Fingal Finger, reps in 75secs. weight TBC.

Event 4 Monster Yoke 280kg 20m drop 20m return.

Event 5 Monster Farmers 120kg per hand 20m drop 20m return.

Event 6 TBC
(edited 4 years ago)
You have plenty of time to ensure your conditioning is top notch at least.

Is bodypower a tested competition?
Original post by illusionz
You have plenty of time to ensure your conditioning is top notch at least.

Is bodypower a tested competition?

Its not tested no. I see little point in testing fullstop, those that want to avoid a positive result will do.

Also channel 5 at 7pm - UKs strongest man !!
Overhead press today. Should really be using the log but it strains my forearm and need it back strong for the 7th.

Worked upto 100*4 strict press. Finally some sort of improvement. Doubt il get anything more than 110 at comp. Confident though my log press will become one of my best events in time.
In

This is the problem with only checking notifications and not the blogs page.

I do see what you do on insta though.
I was watching UK Strongest Man and thought of you. Those guys are frankly animals (and so are you).
Always checking in and reading, not always commenting. Keep up the work!
Original post by silent ninja
I was watching UK Strongest Man and thought of you. Those guys are frankly animals (and so are you).
Always checking in and reading, not always commenting. Keep up the work!

Thanks i appreciate it.

I hope to be competing at UKs and Britains in the future. I met Colin Bryce (presents Britains/worlds) at Bodypower last year and said id be there within 5 years. So that's the plan.
Last deadlift session today. OHP tomorrow then thats it before comp on Saturday.

Upto 230*5 for 3 sets.

Feeling confident 300 is going to happen this weekend.
Last deadlift session before Saturday.

Upto 230*5 3sets

Feeling good. Just OHP tomorrow few sets of 80*5 i think then im done.

300 will be there and hopefully 110 log if forearm can hold out.
Looking forward to seeing how it goes! Good luck
Good luck
Original post by Gone Revising II
Good luck

Thanks !

Last session done.
Get some rest. Best of luck!!!
Think strong mate!
Won the comp....

300 deadlift PB
100 log (forearm went in warmups so was cleaning with one arm 😑) pressed it easy.
That's amazing. You must be pretty chuffed with yourself. Nothing better than hitting a pb when it matters rather than in training.

Wait til you have two arms...
Original post by silent ninja
That's amazing. You must be pretty chuffed with yourself. Nothing better than hitting a pb when it matters rather than in training.

Wait til you have two arms...

Pretty much everything was riding on that 300 pull....not winning or losing the comp but rather my motivation and attitude to keep on training. So yeah to hit it almost like an opener weight was really good, definitely what ive been needing these past few weeks to get going again.

With two arms i think ive got a pretty special log press coming.

Quick Reply

Latest