The Student Room Group

History at Edinburgh!

Really hoping to apply to do History or social&economic History in edinburgh. Applying in September.
Anyone applied this year and got a place who could give me tips on personal staement, admissions etc?

Or even someone who is studying History in endiburgh at the moment who could tell me what they think of the course?

Thanx!
I applied to do Ancient History at Edinburgh. Really, my personal statement wasn't that spectacular but Edinburgh do regard your personal statement highly. I just mentioned the clubs at school i'm in, playing in the school sport teams, volunteer work i did relevant to the course, etc. You could also add things like books you have read relating to the course but i found that it wasn't really needed.
Edinburgh is my insurance for History...though their grade requirements are lower than you might suspect, many who get an offer have a load of As too - it's very competitive, and a gorgeous city. Your personal statement is very, very important in distinguishing you from the reams of applicants:

'In your personal statement, we look for evidence of:

* commitment, motivation and readiness for higher education
* suitability for your chosen degree programme
* a strong interest in your chosen subject area'

I'll send you a copy of my personal statement if it'll help you. I focused on what I enjoyed about history rather than extra curricular activities, though if I had ones relevant to history, I would, of course, have written more about them.

Latest

Trending

Trending