The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not sure about critical thinking. As far as i've heard it's a bit of a 'General Studies'.
The perfect application is not necessarily someone who is a complete nerd. I'd say;

Personal Statement : Honest, Concise, Filled with Experience, Knowledge of the Career, no faking.

Predicted Grades : AAB/AAA

UKCAT : Average score well above pass score, maybe 690-700/900

Reference : Outlining commitedness to education and high social input.

Experience : At least 2 days with a GP/in a Surgery. At least 4 months voluntary work in a hospital. Some shadowing of a junior doctor. General commited care-work is probably also helpful.

Interview : Honest, trustworthy, intelligent, socially apt, enjoyable to spend time with, articulate, quick-thinking, able to produce a rounded argument.

Final grades : As predicted.

I got 4 offers, and so know that my application was at least good. If you fancy a read of my personal statement (I don't in any way mean it's perfect, but it served me well!) to give you some idea of what i mean above...it doesn't all make perfect sense.
jseldis
I got 4 offers, and so know that my application was at least good. If you fancy a read of my personal statement (I don't in any way mean it's perfect, but it served me well!) to give you some idea of what i mean above...it doesn't all make perfect sense.

Doesn't your sig say you got 5? :s-smilie:
Reply 3
4 for Medicine.
Reply 4
Harribot
What would be the almost pefect application for medicine?

What components would be included.

Also, what use does critical thinking have? It is aimed at future medics and lawyers.

Thanks.

Tell us what you think first, and we can go from there...
In my opinion, slipping them a cool cheque for £1000 to sweeten the deal would constitute a "perfect" application :wink:
Someone who can actually cure cancer with their tears?
graemematt
In my opinion, slipping them a cool cheque for £1000 to sweeten the deal would constitute a "perfect" application :wink:
but also cause you to starve somewhere in the first year after the bank demands money back.
davidthegreat
Someone who can actually cure cancer with their tears?

Chuck Norris?
Reply 9
IcarusExMachina
Chuck Norris?

Quality! :laugh:
Reply 10
graemematt

I know you're being facetious, but I doubt very much anyone would risk their career for a mere grand
IcarusExMachina
Chuck Norris?

Too bad he has never cried..
Critical thinking = boring waste of time and doesn't help much

No such thing as perfect app. Simply meet the stated requirements and have a good PS and interview well. A bit of luck helps too
AS Levels - AAAA in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English Literature.

A2 Levels - AAA in Biology, Chemistry and Maths.

Brilliant personal statement and reference. Interviews very well.

A year of volunteer work at a local care home, a week of work experience in a GP surgery and a week shadowing a hospital consultant.

Captain of Rugby, Cricket, Squash, Athletics, Hockey and Rowing. County player in said sports.

Head Boy.

Good looking and popular.

etc.

*This is a pointless thread.*
Reply 14

Personally I think this is the most important quality.

(This is a fakepost)
Critical thinking as a qualification is not really useful, but it definitely helped me with the BMAT a lot. I would advise taking it if given the opportunity (unless of course you can use those periods to volunteer in a hospital or something etc, which would be more useful again).
Reply 16
Speedbird2008

yeah some people are just born beautiful! :rolleyes:
Reply 17
-child genius, member of mensa aged 4
-award for outstanding bravery, saved parents from epileptic fits and got them out of the burning house aged 6
-discovered rare genetic mutations at the age of 10 which helped improve lives of thousands
-took gcses and A Levels 5 years early
-got a first from oxford in natural sciences
-travelled the world for a couple of years, working in many hospitals in surgery, care homes, air ambulances..
-helped out at old peoples home every saturday from the age of 5
-got leukaemia aged 13, so experience of being a patient
-speaks 5 languages fluently
-plays national standard hockey, was captain for junior south england team.

Reply 18
It was very convincing until...

Saffie

-got a first from oxford in natural sciences

Psst, NatSci is the filthy 'Tab course. :wink: Here it's proper sciences - so i'd probably go for Physiological Sciences for relevance to medicine, or PPP/Human Sciences/Experimental Psychology for coolness & some relevance or Physics & Philosophy for genius-ness. :p:
Reply 19
damn.

Maybe my perfect application dude is so special s/he gets his own degree title? :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending