The Student Room Group

Bias towards Scottish students at Scottish universities?

Hi I’m looking at possibly studying veterinary medicine at Glasgow or Edinburgh unis and people have been telling me that it’s much harder for a British student to get in than a Scottish one? Is that true? Has anyone felt that they haven’t got an offer just because they weren’t Scottish? Thanks
Reply 1
Well in the Scottish vetmed unis, there’s different pools, which I based upon the different fees payed. Basically they do SEU (Scottish-Eu applicants) in one pool and RUK (Rest of UK) and then a last pool for international students
So you’d be up against English, Welsh and Northern Irish applicants.
In 2018, places were as follows:
SEU: 40
RUK: 32
International: 53
So honestly, I see why people would tell you that because 32 IS a very small number, whereas unis like Liverpool don’t have fixed quotas for example, so there may be a larger number of places for English students.
Reply 2
Original post by Vetadele
Well in the Scottish vetmed unis, there’s different pools, which I based upon the different fees payed. Basically they do SEU (Scottish-Eu applicants) in one pool and RUK (Rest of UK) and then a last pool for international students
So you’d be up against English, Welsh and Northern Irish applicants.
In 2018, places were as follows:
SEU: 40
RUK: 32
International: 53
So honestly, I see why people would tell you that because 32 IS a very small number, whereas unis like Liverpool don’t have fixed quotas for example, so there may be a larger number of places for English students.

Ah ok that makes sense. So is that for both Edinburgh and Glasgow unis? Thanks
Reply 3
I think so, yes. But I'd advise you check for Glasgow :smile:
Hi, what about St Andrews? Is this the case too her that Scottish students are favoured or it is less so?

Quick Reply

Latest