The Student Room Group

Pregnancy Scares... your stories.

Well, I'm in the middle of a pregnancy scare.

I wasn't silly, I wrapped my willy. But apparently not tight enough, because it managed to come off at some point and without us realising. So I ejaculated inside her and now of course we have our scare.

We went and got the morning after pill immediately, and within 2 hours she had taken it.

But I'm still a bit worried, as I'm sure most people would be.

I've talked to a few of my mates, and a few people on MSN to get the general jist of just how common scares are. And so far I've only come across like 2 people who haven't had scares! And none of them have babies, so it's quite comforting to know that it's so common and that most of the time nothing comes of it.

So here I am on TSR looking for more comforting stories. How did your scare come about? No condom? Condom slip? Burst condom? Other? Did you get the morning after pill? What was the outcome? Etc.

I know what we did was silly... not paying enough attention to the condom and not realising it had come off, but please don't be posting anything about us being stupid and immature etc etc. We're not. And such criticism is not constructive.

Also don't de-anon, she's a user of this forum and I don't want her to know I'm worried... lest she be more worried than she is.

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

I have had plenty, but i am the sort who panics even if my period is a day late.

I've just had one though (or still maybe) in that i forgot to take my pill one morning, and took it 12 hours late, but as the pill im taking is Cerazette, i do have a 12 hour window, but still. My bf never came in me, but a few days afterwards he did it for the first time, and i didn't expect it, so obviously that's how the scare came about. It happened weeks ago and now my period is knocking on two weeks late. I just took a test this morning and still negative, so i'm not really worried anymore. I am starting to get cramps etc anyway.

It's awful though :frown:.
mine wasn't a scare - turned out i was pregnant.
had to have an abortion... worst day of my life so far.
Lots of my female friends have had pregnancy scares, but its always been a false alarm.

If its any reasssurance OP I'm sure your girlfriend isn't preganant. It would be quite unlikely as she took the pill so soon after the accident occured.
Reply 4
I haven't had one! Admittedly I've had quite huge periods of inactivity which probably helps but still :smile:

I realise not every girl is all that enthusiastic about going on the pill, but the peace of mind it offers is really fantastic. And yeah, I know, there's still a tiny, tiny chance I could end up pregnant on it but to be 100% honest, I'm 22 now, if I wound up pregnant it's hardly likely to be a huge outrage. If anything I bet my parents would actually be pleased they'd get a grandchild!

Still though, I do recommend hormonal contraception in addition to condoms if you wish/if it's required.
Reply 5
mollymustard
Lots of my female friends have had pregnancy scares, but its always been a false alarm.

If its any reasssurance OP I'm sure your girlfriend isn't preganant. It would be quite unlikely as she took the pill so soon after the accident occured.

Yeah 2 hours is pretty good going! :smile:

Where abouts in her cycle was she out of interest op?
Reply 6
suek
Yeah 2 hours is pretty good going! :smile:

Where abouts in her cycle was she out of interest op?

Well that is debateable.

If her cycle was going as normal then she was one week before her period when it happened.

However... She also took the morning after pill last week because she was paranoid. There wasn't really a call for concern because we successfully used a condom that time, but she was a little paranoid for some reason and went and got it, then this happened and she had it again. In the leaflet provided, it says that taking the pill can upset your menstrual cycle. So while she normally would have been 1 week before her period, the fact that she took the pill a week previously might have set her period back up to a month or so. I'm not sure what difference it would make. Actually, the leaflet says taking it MORE than once in one cycle might mess it up. So the fact that she'd only taken it once before the 'accident' means her period might have been still on course. So I'd say 1 week prior to period. I think.

The pharmacist says that 2 weeks before and after your period is when you're most likely to get pregnant, so assuming the first pill didn't mess up her cycle, then we also have that acting in our favour.
Reply 7
suek
I haven't had one! Admittedly I've had quite huge periods of inactivity which probably helps but still :smile:

I realise not every girl is all that enthusiastic about going on the pill, but the peace of mind it offers is really fantastic. And yeah, I know, there's still a tiny, tiny chance I could end up pregnant on it but to be 100% honest, I'm 22 now, if I wound up pregnant it's hardly likely to be a huge outrage. If anything I bet my parents would actually be pleased they'd get a grandchild!

Still though, I do recommend hormonal contraception in addition to condoms if you wish/if it's required.

Indeed. We have the pill and we're ready to start taking it, but you're supposed to start it on the first day of your period... so we were waiting for that to occur, and in the meantime were just relying on condoms... fat lot of good they were. So yes, if this turns out well, then the pill will provide peace of mind in future instances, but for this time we'll have to worry and wait it out. =[
I've had a few, one which turned out I was pregnant. That time we didn't use any contraception at all, just the withdrawal method :rolleyes: The other scares were just uh paranoid scares, I always use contraception now.
Reply 9
How accurate are pregnancy tests? can you take just one say 2 weeks after period is due and believe the results or is it common for them to be wrong?
Reply 10
Anonymous
Indeed. We have the pill and we're ready to start taking it, but you're supposed to start it on the first day of your period... so we were waiting for that to occur, and in the meantime were just relying on condoms... fat lot of good they were. So yes, if this turns out well, then the pill will provide peace of mind in future instances, but for this time we'll have to worry and wait it out. =[

You can (usually) start taking the pill at any time - you're just not protected for the first seven days unless it's from day 1 of your period (when you'd be protected immediately).

I'd wait for the period though now considering you've used the MAP and stuff.. poor girl will be all hormoned up to the eyeballs!

:hugs:
first time sex. no obvious break in the condom.
period was 5 months late.

= me terrified.

it's all fine though :smile:
no baby :smile:
Reply 12
dita_parlo
I've had a few, one which turned out I was pregnant. That time we didn't use any contraception at all, just the withdrawal method :rolleyes: The other scares were just uh paranoid scares, I always use contraception now.

And you didn't get the Morning After Pill?
Anonymous

Exactly the same as me, have mines in 2 days :frown:
Anonymous

She shouldn't use morning after pill all the time... if she's worried about pregnancy ask her if she would go on the pill. :smile: With pill AND condom, it's very, very unlikely she'll get pregnant at all.
Reply 16
suek
You can (usually) start taking the pill at any time - you're just not protected for the first seven days unless it's from day 1 of your period (when you'd be protected immediately).

I'd wait for the period though now considering you've used the MAP and stuff.. poor girl will be all hormoned up to the eyeballs!

What's your opinion on the timing, with regards to her menstrual cycle?

Had period.
2 weeks later gets paranoid and takes pill, although no real reason for it.
1 week later condom slips off and we take the pill again.

The period will probably be delayed by all those hormones, plus the stress of the entire charade. But with regards to pregnancy... how likely is it that the sperm and egg would have survived 2 doses of MAP a week between each other and given that the 2nd time it was administered 2 hours after the accident and the first time there was no accident, given that in her normal cycle she was 1 week from her period?
Anonymous
And you didn't get the Morning After Pill?

No, I was young, stupid and had been using the withdrawal method for 2 years so thought it wouldn't happen to me.
Reply 18
inksplodge
She shouldn't use morning after pill all the time... if she's worried about pregnancy ask her if she would go on the pill. :smile: With pill AND condom, it's very, very unlikely she'll get pregnant at all.

Indeed we are pending her next period so we can start the pill. This accident, and the paranoid event prior to that just happened to occur in the 2 week wait for that period... bad timing it seems. We don't plan to use the morning after pill all the time. She shouldn't have used it in the first instance... it wasn't really necessary, but the 2nd time it was absolutely necessary. Never again though... but the time she comes back from holiday she'll be on the pill... given that she isn't pregnant and her period actually comes...
Reply 19
dita_parlo
No, I was young, stupid and had been using the withdrawal method for 2 years so thought it wouldn't happen to me.

I've very sorry to hear your story =[. I hope it doesn't have to apply to my girlfriend and I...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending