The Student Room Group

How to get an A* in geography NEA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Olly_Kail
Hi,

Overall: Use this link and follow this examples plan that got full marks and you will do well, it helped me massively for structure, data and presentation;

https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/geography/AQA-70373-NEA-G.PDF

I got 57/60 in my NEA and i'm not going to lie to you, it took a lot of effort, but you clearly have the drive to do well in it as you are here in the first place!
Basically, my NEA was split into 4 sections which I did seperately and and merged together; 1) Introduction, 2) Methodology for data collection, 3) Data anaylsis, 4) Conclusions on the data. (Have your teaches told you about this structure for your NEA?)

My question was about measuring the carbon sequestration rate of trees in my local park, based on my teachers advise that a physical geography NEA would be easier, which it was but that was just my opinion.

Data included raw figures that I derived from measuring aspects of tree, calculations, charts/graphs, Spearman's Rank, hand-drawn graphs etc.

Adding images into your NEA helps, but a lots of detailed text will also add marks to your overall score.

My advise would be to collect as much data as you can, doesnt even matter if its completely wrong agasint your hypothesis (or made up as I did!) as you can just state these facts in your anaylsis, then go to your teachers and breif them on this 4 stage plan as it will help you. Then begin to plan what you can say for each stage.

Hope this helps!

I am doing mine on water and carbon cycle and due to illness missed out on the trips. The teachers can’t help or advise me in anyway. I am so lost any help would be appreciated
Original post by mitchellday
What sort of length should I be aiming at because I've finished my Introduction, Methodology and Data presentation/analysis and I'm on about 5500 words with conclusion and evaluation left to do? I know there's not a set length but wanted to know roughly if I need to condense or go into more detail because I feel I've exhausted everything I can think of so far :biggrin:
Also I'm doing mine on rebranding of an area and how successful it is, so if anyone wants help or to share ideas just message me :smile:
Thank you !

Hiya

I'm doing the final touches on my NEA rn

and mine is at like 10,000 words, but I went a bit overboard. I think the suggested is 4 to 5 thousand, but honestly it does not matter
Original post by Alice12346
Hi i have submitted my NEA but i obviously dont know the mark yet hahah. I have quite a few resources message me :smile:

Hi do you still have resources. I’m starting my nea this summer
Original post by User3030
Hello, I have just began lookign at my nea (a bit behind schedule ahaha) could you possibly share me in with your nea. I am doing gentrification of two areas in Stratford (East Village and Carpenter Estate). I would only like to take a look at your nea for help on structuring and analysing primary data - including how and which data to collect. And also just an overall template which would be incredibly useful for me. Thank youu

Sure thing, pm me your email and i can send you everything i have!
Original post by Alice12346
Sure thing, pm me your email and i can send you everything i have!

Hi, can I see yours too xx I’ll pm my email
Is anyone's out of 70?
What exam board is out of 60?
Reply 26
Hi there! I'm doing the regeneration of a building and how successful it is and I'm struggling to come up with sub-questions. What sub-questions did you use?
What sort of length should I be aiming at because I've finished my Introduction, Methodology and Data presentation/analysis and I'm on about 5500 words with conclusion and evaluation left to do? I know there's not a set length but wanted to know roughly if I need to condense or go into more detail because I feel I've exhausted everything I can think of so far :biggrin:
Also I'm doing mine on rebranding of an area and how successful it is, so if anyone wants help or to share ideas just message me :smile:
Thank you !
If anyone has a Regeneration example dm me*
Hi,

Overall: Use this link and follow this examples plan that got full marks and you will do well, it helped me massively for structure, data and presentation;

I got 57/60 in my NEA and i'm not going to lie to you, it took a lot of effort, but you clearly have the drive to do well in it as you are here in the first place!
Basically, my NEA was split into 4 sections which I did seperately and and merged together; 1) Introduction, 2) Methodology for data collection, 3) Data anaylsis, 4) Conclusions on the data. (Have your teaches told you about this structure for your NEA?)

My question was about measuring the carbon sequestration rate of trees in my local park, based on my teachers advise that a physical geography NEA would be easier, which it was but that was just my opinion.

Data included raw figures that I derived from measuring aspects of tree, calculations, charts/graphs, Spearman's Rank, hand-drawn graphs etc.

Adding images into your NEA helps, but a lots of detailed text will also add marks to your overall score.

My advise would be to collect as much data as you can, doesnt even matter if its completely wrong agasint your hypothesis (or made up as I did!) as you can just state these facts in your anaylsis, then go to your teachers and breif them on this 4 stage plan as it will help you. Then begin to plan what you can say for each stage.

Hope this helps!

Hi can I read your nea? I’m doing regeneration
Original post by naem071
I achieved full marks on the NEA; on top of everything else that's been said I want to emphasise the importance of using more advanced data presentation techniques. Use GIS (ArcGIS is a good free tool), present data cartographically - all in all you want to move beyond using the graphs on Excel, put some actual effort into your data presentation and it will pay dividends in upping your banding.

Can I perhaps see your nea?
Hi,

Hope this helps!

Hi! Any chance that you've still got a copy of your data presentation section, I've done a similar question on the carbon content of soil and I'm really unsure of how to deal with the data, any help would be much appreciated thanks!
hey, I'm currently doing me NEA. is it possible for you to send me yours so that i can see what I need to do as my school has only given me the basic structure requirements thanks
There are some good examples on Stuvia, you might have to pay a small amount for them but they provide a lot of good ideas on subjects, method, presentation etc
Thank you !

Hi! I'm currently doing my NEA on rebranding too! Investigating the success of the rebranding scheme of my local city. I would hugely appreciate it if that help is still on offer! How did you measure the success of the rebranding of your chosen area?
Thank you!
Original post by username3028808
I achieved full marks on the NEA; on top of everything else that's been said I want to emphasise the importance of using more advanced data presentation techniques. Use GIS (ArcGIS is a good free tool), present data cartographically - all in all you want to move beyond using the graphs on Excel, put some actual effort into your data presentation and it will pay dividends in upping your banding.

Hey - are you still active on here ?
Reply 35
Original post by username3028808

Hi do you think you could help me with mine?
Reply 36
Original post by originals416
My school is refusing to provide any useful resources in regards to the NEA. I recognise that we aren't allowed direct feedback but we haven't even been told how to properly structure it and what needs to be included.

I want to get an A*. What should the structure look like? What data should it include? My question is looking at regeneration.

If anyone would be able to send me their one it would be greatly appreciated. I guarantee everything would be kept confidential. Also if you School has provided any resources please share them.

Hi, I was wondering how you did in this… I’m also doing my NEA on regeneration… however mine is in Ashford
Original post by originals416
My school is refusing to provide any useful resources in regards to the NEA. I recognise that we aren't allowed direct feedback but we haven't even been told how to properly structure it and what needs to be included.

I want to get an A*. What should the structure look like? What data should it include? My question is looking at regeneration.

If anyone would be able to send me their one it would be greatly appreciated. I guarantee everything would be kept confidential. Also if you School has provided any resources please share them.

Its so confusing and I've had to give mine in already early this month, hope I did ok. For data, use variety of different techniques to present, e.g. pictorial, bar chart, pie chart, box and whisker. When analysing treat it like a 6 marker and link to other data and hypothesises too. e.g "hypothesis one: this demonstrates xyz which is similar/different to hypothesis 2 which xyz. I am happy to help you with yours if you want :smile:

Edit: Just realised this was from 4 years ago, hope it went well for you and you got that A* <3
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by ?Hannah?
message me! currently halfway through mine and we can struggle together x i have been provided with mark schemes, tick lists and also exemplars x
Hi! Im currently doing geography NEA, please could you send the mark schemes, tick lists and exemplars you were provided!!?? We also get provided with absolutely nothing which is so unfair!!! xxx
Reply 39
Thank you !
i may be many years late and i doubt you'll see this but how many words did you end up doing because i feel like i am doing WAYYYY too much. Also how many marks did you end up getting?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending