The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Jizzabelle
When I go to 6th form (which is admittedly a year from now), I want to do quite a few subjects.
I am a hard worker+very dedicated to my studies.

Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry...and then self teach Biology?
Do you think this would be possible to do? I have the motivation for it, but I'm not sure if it would be allowed.

It would genuinely upset me if I couldn't do all three sciences, but at the same time I'm desperate to do maths as a Maths degree is what I'm aiming at.

Also, are these subjects even suitable for a maths degree at Oxbridge and the likes? No posts saying I shouldn't worry about it at my age, I want to give myself a headstart and possibly start studying now.

self teaching biology is a bad thing, if you're someone like me (can't remember details well). i would say physics, chemistry, biology, maths and then self teach further maths if you think you're capable. or you could do maths in one year and further in year 13.
Reply 21
Jizzabelle

I did those 5 for AS, then dropped Biology for A2. I'm not exactly a hard worker, I just remember facts very well. If you're a good scientist then you won't have a problem - although I found biology by far my hardest and most boring subject, but given that you're applying to Oxbridge, you really need to do 5 AS, as further maths isn't really a whole new one.

I would avoid self teaching yourself anything other than one or two maths modules. You're more likely to have success self teaching maths than biology. Try and do all 5 at school.
No it's not too much if you're prepared to sacrifice a social life. Biology can be self-taught quite easily as well. Good luck!
Reply 23
Flick The Switch
No it's not too much if you're prepared to sacrifice a social life.

That comment is in no way true. I did it, and I know lots of people at my school who did 5 AS and were fine.
Dynasty
That comment is in no way true. I did it, and I know lots of people at my school who did 5 AS and were fine.

Oh these are only AS subjects?
Reply 25
Dynasty
I did those 5 for AS, then dropped Biology for A2. I'm not exactly a hard worker, I just remember facts very well. If you're a good scientist then you won't have a problem - although I found biology by far my hardest and most boring subject, but given that you're applying to Oxbridge, you really need to do 5 AS, as further maths isn't really a whole new one.I would avoid self teaching yourself anything other than one or two maths modules. You're more likely to have success self teaching maths than biology. Try and do all 5 at school.

Well she's applying for maths, so I think Maths, and Further Maths, as well as 2 other A levels should be sufficient. Someone from my school got an offer with Maths, Further Maths, Chem, and Physics last year.

If she wants to do 5 though, it's no bad thing.
Not such extra curricular.. but read stuff and make sure your aware of the world around you?
I'm sure being booksmart isnt everything!
Your school should let you, and if not, further maths would be the 'easiest' to self-teach rather than biology. I wouldn't worry about it too much yet in yr10, focus on doing well in your GCSEs first :yes: .
Reply 28
I agree with what a few people have said... either:
a) Self-teach Further-Maths over Biology
or b) Do AS/A2 Maths in year 12, and AS/A2 F.Maths in year 13.

If you did decide to only do 4, id recommend Physics. Then either Chemistry or Biology (whichever you prefer?)

Im sure you would get into oxbridge with only 4, but a 5th wont harm your application. =)

Good luck.
Reply 29
Jizzabelle
When I go to 6th form (which is admittedly a year from now), I want to do quite a few subjects.
I am a hard worker+very dedicated to my studies.

Do you think this would be possible to do? I have the motivation for it, but I'm not sure if it would be allowed.

It would genuinely upset me if I couldn't do all three sciences, but at the same time I'm desperate to do maths as a Maths degree is what I'm aiming at.

Also, are these subjects even suitable for a maths degree at Oxbridge and the likes? No posts saying I shouldn't worry about it at my age, I want to give myself a headstart and possibly start studying now.

Subjects are perfectly fine for Maths at Cambridge or Oxford.

If I was in your position, I'd self teach further maths. The other three are likely to require coursework/practical work and it's much better to do these in proper conditions. Further maths doesn't require anything other than pen, paper and a textbook. If you get stuck on a topic the TSR maths forum will be a good place to seek help.
Self teaching further maths (if you do well in it) will also be much more impressive from an admissions' tutor's point of view.

Having said that, the step up from GCSE maths to A level maths isn't too insurmountable. I wouldn't be so sure that you'd want to do maths at uni yet either! At least, not without having done some of the A level course. GCSE maths is very much about learning methods (as is the A level course tbh). Uni maths can be a very different style.
Reply 30
Just wondering why do you say maths and further maths?

I thought if you took further maths you did maths then the further maths.

You don't take maths and further maths at A level because you'd be repeating?

Correct me if i'm wrong (if i'm right it means you'd only be doing 4 AS levels (further maths (counts as 2), chemistry and physics))

So technically you could do biology at school as well if it fit in with the school timetable?
Reply 31
If the OP wants to do maths at Oxbridge, she should probs do F.Maths IN SCHOOL, so she gets the highest possible mark in it.
Reply 32
--Dan--
Just wondering why do you say maths and further maths?

I thought if you took further maths you did maths then the further maths.

You don't take maths and further maths at A level because you'd be repeating?

Correct me if i'm wrong (if i'm right it means you'd only be doing 4 AS levels (further maths (counts as 2), chemistry and physics))

So technically you could do biology at school as well if it fit in with the school timetable?

I hope so :smile:. Usually people at the 6th form I'm going to only take 4 of their choice, as General studies is compulsory :\
Lol.... your only in year 10...

Chill tha hell out...

you shouldnt even be thinking of starting to study for A-levels now. Trust me, bad bad idea
shabanrauf
Lol.... your only in year 10...

Chill tha hell out...

you shouldnt even be thinking of starting to study for A-levels now. Trust me, bad bad idea

Okay, agreed that it is a tad early to be thinking about a-levels but it's not as bad as you suggest.

I think it's a bad idea because year 10 is when i discovered alcohol, so there were many fun times to be had and if you are thinking about a-levels you're worrying too much about the future too much and you need to seize the day (carpe diem) and have fun.

Conversely, it can also be a brilliant thing, one of the mistakes some people make is choosing a narrow range of subjects which really screws them over for university. Alot of students pick things like psychology and sociology without doing too much research into them, and despite being good subjects to study it's difficult to change paths after this choice. This was definitely my experience, and that of my secondary school classmates.

Start thinking about subjects, don't have a full idea because year 10 and 11 will definitely change your views, as college will change your degree preference.

And i've just run off on a tangent and started talking about my experiences, lol.
Year 10 is when the good parties start, I suggest going to them.

About learning a levels now, ever thought about the curriculum all of a sudden changing?
Reply 36
Hmmm. Didn't realise you're in year 10! Think about what A levels you want to do after getting your GCSE grades! Use getting to Cambridge as motivation to do well in your GCSEs but leave it at that. There's a whole range of subjects which you might enjoy far more than maths.

Latest