The Student Room Group

Bad GCSE's, college advice?

Previously, I was under the impression that colleges weren't particularly interested in GCSE grades, though, after hearing rumours floating around concerning 5A*s as a necessity in some colleges (and other things of this nature), i began to worry.

I don't expect a place, rather, I'd love to have the interview experience and i'm wondering if anyone has advice concerning which college to apply to for English (taking into account any significant leniency with regards to GCSE grades). I've been browsing around for a while and have had no real result - perhaps i'm just mildly incompetent.

GCSE: A*A*ABBCCCCCCC
AS: AAAA
A2: AAA
(perhaps worth noting: i attend a fairly poor comprehensive)

Any advice, encouragement, substantial information or, indeed, utter discouragement will be appreciated to the extent that I could quite possibly be reduced to tears. Thanks in advance.

skag.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Are you talking about Oxord or Cambridge? Because they're quite different. Perhaps narrow it down to university first...and then think about colleges... :wink:
heres how cambridge use your gcse score
http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/handbook/section2/2_6.html#4

do you know what the pass rate of your school was? also what AS levels are you taking + what are the module scores?
Reply 3
to epitome: Oh, neither. That's awfully dreadful of me, I know, but I really would just like the chance of an interview. Perhaps it sounds terribly silly, but I feel in no position to differentiate between colleges that all seem tragically prestigious and certainly out of my reach (with regards to those horrific GCSEs). I'm just hoping that someone can point out a college (from either university) that perhaps hold a radical "we don't care about GCSE" stance. Hopeful to the extent of insanity, maybe, but worth a try?

to trance: My schools rate was around 32 I believe. It could be less, i'll check. Taking English Lit, Philosophy + Ethics, Sociology + Psychology. I only so far know the module results of the AS' modules I've taken (the other grades mentioned were just fairly confident predictions). In my English Lit I've taken one exam and completed one piece of coursework, both with a 100% result.
Reply 4
skagitup
Previously, I was under the impression that colleges weren't particularly interested in GCSE grades, though, after hearing rumours floating around concerning 5A*s as a necessity in some colleges (and other things of this nature), i began to worry.

I don't expect a place, rather, I'd love to have the interview experience and i'm wondering if anyone has advice concerning which college to apply to for English (taking into account any significant leniency with regards to GCSE grades). I've been browsing around for a while and have had no real result - perhaps i'm just mildly incompetent.

GCSE: A*A*ABBCCCCCCC
AS: AAAA
A2: AAA
(perhaps worth noting: i attend a fairly poor comprehensive)

Any advice, encouragement, substantial information or, indeed, utter discouragement will be appreciated to the extent that I could quite possibly be reduced to tears. Thanks in advance.

skag.

The fact you attended a school with (I am assuming!) a low A*-C result will be acknowledged by the university of Cambridge - dunno how Oxford deals with it, though. They don't expect miracles, especially in environments where achievement is squashed rather than encouraged. Your AS results prove you can achieve (also, I guess one of those GCSE As was English?), so you don't have to worry on that front. :smile: Yes, plenty of applicants will have all A*s (some of them probably more A*s than brains :rolleyes:), but GCSEs are only a small part of a large application that will be looked at as a whole package. It might be worth applying to a college that has an entrance exam, just so you can show off your potential, if you don't mind the idea of yet more assessment, but that's up to you. There is no college that is 'soft' on GCSE results, though - sorry mate. Just do what everyone else does and pick somewhere you like the look of.

Re: your application, concentrate not on your past achievements, but what you can be doing between now and interview time to strengthen your application. Get reading, and more importantly, get thinking! Also, if you want your Personal Statement checked, there are lots of happy helpers (including me :biggrin:) in the Personal Statement section who'll be willing to give you a hand.
They're not even bad GCSEs, what ********.
Lidka
The fact you attended a school with (I am assuming!) a low A*-C result will be acknowledged by the university of Cambridge - dunno how Oxford deals with it, though. They don't expect miracles, especially in environments where achievement is squashed rather than encouraged.

I've always taken that little gcse grades shifter thing with a pinch of salt. I was pretty much told they won't give a crap.
Reply 7
GrahamFromJeremyKyle
They're not even bad GCSEs, what ********.

Of course they're not - but when every other applicant for Oxford/Cambridge on here seems to have A*s coming out of their ears, you can see why the applicants with more normal grades get worried.

trance addict
I've always taken that little gcse grades shifter thing with a pinch of salt. I was pretty much told they won't give a crap.

By whom? It'll always vary a little, from college to college, from tutor to tutor - but I think it's safe to say that generally the university is telling us about it's admissions system for a good reason.

skagitup
to epitome: Oh, neither. That's awfully dreadful of me, I know, but I really would just like the chance of an interview. Perhaps it sounds terribly silly, but I feel in no position to differentiate between colleges that all seem tragically prestigious and certainly out of my reach (with regards to those horrific GCSEs). I'm just hoping that someone can point out a college (from either university) that perhaps hold a radical "we don't care about GCSE" stance. Hopeful to the extent of insanity, maybe, but worth a try?

OK, enough with the self-pity. :p: You are by no means the worst applicant to have graced the university's system. Stop thinking of the place as unattainable; that attitude won't help your application one bit. Firstly, DO differentiate. The universities get lumped together as 'Oxbridge', but they are DIFFERENT PLACES. It's amazing, but really, they are! :p: You wouldn't put two other universities down just because they are next to each other in some league table*, so why consider Oxford to be the same as Cambridge? The courses are very different too. I would hate to study English at Oxford, but I love the Cambridge course. Start comparing courses; think about what you'd like to study after A-levels generally. Do you prefer modern lit, or do you want to explore a movement you came across as AS? Do you want to try your hand at drama, or a foreign language? Find out when open days are, and go on them. Start believing that you deserve a place - because until you do, you may as well pick a college or course by closing your eyes and sticking a pin into a map of the Cambridge/Oxford colleges. And that would be silly when there is so much more to them than that. :smile:

*well, you might. But you'd be a bit of a lemon to, IMHO. :p:
Reply 8
Lidka: Beautifully encouraging. The idea of selecting a college with an entrance exam never really occurred to me before. Thanks ever so much.

Will certainly stop by the Personal Statement section.

Graham: As wonderful as it is to hear a disgustingly backhanded compliment, when compared to the Oxbridge average they do infact appear to be, at very least, mildly disastrous.
Lidka
Of course they're not - but when every other applicant for Oxford/Cambridge on here seems to have A*s coming out of their ears, you can see why the applicants with more normal grades get worried.

By whom? It'll always vary a little, from college to college, from tutor to tutor - but I think it's safe to say that generally the university is telling us about it's admissions system for a good reason.

Everyone who seems to get in has hoardes of A*s is why :p:
Reply 10
trance addict
Everyone who seems to get in has hoardes of A*s is why :p:

No, you just never hear the ones with fewer talking about them - mainly because we know it's vulgar to boast. :wink: Also, trust me when I say that once you get here no one will give a crap about what A-level or GCSE results you have. I got in with AAB at A-level and not once have I been treated differently because of it.
Reply 11
Lidka, I'm actually not nearly as self-pitying as I appear to have conveyed. I just didn't want to put myself in a position whereby some ******* could arrive perfectly perched on some kind of altitudinous horse and assure me that I didn't have a hope in hell (which is exactly what I could do without, right now). Experience has taught me that a delightfully modest approach often yields the kindest response. To be honest, I was almost certain upon Cambridge (Christ's) until I noticed a horrid correlation in the Decisions thread concerning less than five A*'s and rejections. I then felt it entirely necessary to backtrack to a position of extreme open-mindedness.

You've been ever so helpful. Every response is valued.
Reply 12
skagitup
Lidka, I'm actually not nearly as self-pitying as I appear to have conveyed. I just didn't want to put myself in a position whereby some ******* could arrive perfectly perched on some kind of altitudinous horse and assure me that I didn't have a hope in hell (which is exactly what I could do without, right now). Experience has taught me that a delightfully modest approach often yields the kindest response. To be honest, I was almost certain upon Cambridge (Christ's) until I noticed a horrid correlation in the Decisions thread concerning less than five A*'s and rejections. I then felt it entirely necessary to backtrack to a position of extreme open-mindedness.

You've been ever so helpful. Every response is valued.

Sorry if I sounded harsh - I just get very tired of students (almost exclusively from the state system) putting themselves down for no good reason other than irrational fear. I know the whole thing LOOKS intimidating, but these days, tutors are trained, if not to be nice to you, at least not to mock your application to your face. :p: (Sadly, you can't guarantee that in your fellow applicants - I met some very arrogant people at interview!) Likewise, you can get in without a perfect academic record (or even a good one!). If you're set on Christ's, there's nothing to stop you e-mailing the admissions tutor there and asking frankly how they would look at your results were you to apply. If they sound encouraging, then do; if the response is ums and ahs, you know you might want to look somewhere else - if only for the reason that it might be better to have open-minded tutors than to have those who prefer only A*s. But that's just my opinion. :p:
Reply 13
Again, terrifically helpful. Seems a good idea to set about some e-mailing. :smile:

I'm just about to try out the PS section, btw.
Lidka
No, you just never hear the ones with fewer talking about them - mainly because we know it's vulgar to boast. :wink: Also, trust me when I say that once you get here no one will give a crap about what A-level or GCSE results you have. I got in with AAB at A-level and not once have I been treated differently because of it.

I'm already screwed because i'm not even taking 10 :p: Also i'd only want to do the cambridge course, and im not even 100% sure if it would suit me (computer science) Anyway enough thread hijacking,

to the OP: "what's the worst that could happen?"
College choice shouldn't matter I think, but choosing Cam over Ox with "average" GCSEs is a wise decision.
Reply 16
trance addict
I'm already screwed because i'm not even taking 10 :p: Also i'd only want to do the cambridge course, and im not even 100% sure if it would suit me (computer science) Anyway enough thread hijacking,

to the OP: "what's the worst that could happen?"

You don't need 10. Don't worry about it. Really. :smile: Liking the course is, however, something that is pretty necessary. Terms are so intense that if you don't like the work you can turn from :yes: to :woo: pretty quickly.
While your GCSEs are fine, I have heard rumours that some Cambridge colleges will be employing terribly harsh adverb filters from 2009 onwards. Use more than two in any sentence of your personal statement and you will be insta-rejected.
Reply 18
haha.

How silly.

Intense modification of verbs is unfortunately a personal reaction to stress. Forgive me. My verbs will now stand alone, forgotten in the midst of a desolate sentence (oops).
skagitup
haha.

How silly.

Intense modification of verbs is unfortunately a personal reaction to stress. Forgive me. My verbs will now stand alone, forgotten in the midst of a desolate sentence (oops).

With those GCSE grades, you'll more than likely get invited to interview, anyway, if you apply to Cambridge; they tend to interview 90-95% of applicants - unless you have appalling grades, or something else about which would mean you'd not meet mattriculation requirements, you'll be invited. And those grades are not appalling, by any standards. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending