The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

jellylegs08
I don't mean to sound shallow but I was wondering:

Would you rather be in a small class of say, 10 or less, where the people aren't particularly bright, or be in a larger class (like 20 or less) where the people are very clever?

I'd rather be in the larger, smarter class, because you're more likely to go at a pace better suited to you.

You're also going to be more stretched, pushed further than you would with the less bright people. And you'll be more competitive/motivated to work harder, because there's some decent competition.

It also makes you feel better when you beat them :biggrin:.

It's all relative to ability, though. If I weren't particularly academically inclined, I'd rather the smaller, more focused groups, where I'd receive more attention.
Reply 2
I'd prefer the smaller dumber class, because it's friendlier and more personal. Plus it would make me feel smarter :biggrin:.

As for the dumber standard of teaching, it wouldn't be ideal, but I usually learn a lot from teaching myself and revising early, so I don't think it would be too much of a problem.
Reply 3
larger smarter class, i wouldnt want to be the one answering questions allt he time, and you would get pushed mroe and proabbly learnt better
The latter obviously. You'd get through things more quickly and fit in more easily.

I, however, don't believe in streaming; I don't believe that many people are inherently dumb.
Reply 5
Larger smarter class - for the same reasons as Annaconda.
Less than 20? Since when was less than 20 a large class? Christ. When helping my mum out at her primary school, the average class size was about 32.
Well at college, all of our A level classes are of mixed ability and they're all quite small... I prefer that to be honest. I assumed all A level classes in every college etc are like that?? :confused:
Reply 8
inksplodge
Well at college, all of our A level classes are of mixed ability and they're all quite small... I prefer that to be honest. I assumed all A level classes in every college etc are like that?? :confused:

i know classes of about 8 people...and also 28 people. I count 28 as large.
Reply 9
DoMakeSayThink
Less than 20? Since when was less than 20 a large class? Christ. When helping my mum out at her primary school, the average class size was about 32.

i was actually talking about a-level size lol. not primary school.
jellylegs08
i know classes of about 8 people...and also 28 people. I count 28 as large.

yeah, same here :p: but i thought a level groups were actually of mixed ability eg. b/c grade students @ gcse as well as a*/a grade students @ gcse :confused:
inksplodge
yeah, same here :p: but i thought a level groups were actually of mixed ability eg. b/c grade students @ gcse as well as a*/a grade students @ gcse :confused:

I've never heard of a school that set at A-Level. And I would much prefer the larger, smarter class, because they would come up with lots of ideas & provide for a great debate/discussion, rather than a small, dumb class which needed the teacher to spoonfeed them everything. Its too easy to fall down that hole if you have a smaller class.
large clever. of course.
Small class for most subjects. Its easier to get the help you need if you need it, and it'd be a nice relax. I prefer to do my work in the evening anyway, especially in winter when theres nothing to do.
I've not been in either though, I had one small class (further maths, no surprise) which were smart, and then a lot of large classes which were mixed. I didn't really like the large classes, noone worked, meaning material was repeated. I know I said relax but doing the same pages out of a book twice over is a bit too far.
Couldn't care less about the class size and the ability of the people in it. As long as I have a good teacher and a quite class with people who actually want to learn and study.
Reply 15
I think the teacher is most important. As long as people are willing to learn and polite, I don't think the size necessarily matters.
Depends on the subject. I would rather be in a group of similar ability, so in a subject I am good at I would choose the larger more able class, and in a subject I struggle with I would prefer to be in the smaller less able class.
Depends on how dumb. I just want a class that is slightly less or on my ability so that I'm not too intellectually challenged thus making me the odd one out; or too lowly worked intellectually thus making me a 'god' to the pupils in that class.
Hmmm. Most probably the larger class of higher ability. That way we can all advance at a faster pace etc.

Although, sometimes these set ability classes don't work too well. I sometimes find that the smarter pupils like to misbehave more because they think they know it all already and therefore take things for granted. But at the end of the day it's up to them if they want to waste it.

As long as the teacher is willing to help those that want to learn and advance it shouldn't really matter of the ability of those around you. As I find that most teachers will provide differently for more advanced pupils and also for those that need more help :smile:
Clever, why would you want to be with idiots going at a slow pace?

Latest