The Student Room Group

Bubbles's weight loss and wellbeing journey

EDIT: progress

I hit my goal weight of 64kg (losing 10kg since starting this thread) on 30/07/2020 after around 7 months :woo: overall I feel that my mental health is better. Still an area to work on and do some more meditation and be more mindful but I'm getting there!

Now working on increasing my muscle and decreasing my fat % to tone up. I'm doing this by lifting weights, planks, and upping my activity overall whilst adding more protein into my diet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

This blog won't just be about weight loss but also general wellbeing, however due to the discussion on weight and food I thought it would be best here :smile:

I'll try and update it weekly, but when I have more time it might be everyday or two!

Over the last few years, I've gained weight which I've never been happy about. I used to be really happy with my body, weighing between 9 and 10 stone (I'm 5"8/172cm). At my optimum I was 60-64kg. I actually was up to 78kg about a year ago, but I'm now 74kg - which is borderline between healthy and overweight (literally, it's 25 on a BMI calculation). Obviously BMI isn't the most accurate but it's still a good estimation.

My aim is to get down to 64kg, which means losing 10kg/about a stone and a half. Ideally, this would be in the next 6 months. I'm going to start by reducing my calorie intake, as I think my diet is the main issue. I've done this for about 5 days now so that my intake is around 1200-1300. This has helped me lose a couple of pounds that I put on over Christmas, so I'm back down to 74kg. I'm also going to slowly increase my activity, starting with walking and then higher intensity exercise (likely going to the gym or picking up a sport again like badminton).

The last 5 days of reduced calorie intake hasn't been too difficult, but I'm still on annual leave from work until the 7th of Jan. It'll be interesting to see if I can keep it up when I'm at work. It may be that I need to have 1500 cals on weekdays and 1200-1300 on weekends.

Overall I just want to feel more comfortable with my body and be confident with wearing more tight fitting clothes and swimwear :smile:

A few other things I want to do (for weight and/or wellbeing):

Dry January. I may then also extend this past January as, to be honest, alcohol doesn't seem to agree with me much anymore. I often get ill from drinking and it can impact my mood. It might be I only drink on occasion after January. We'll see :tongue:

Meditate. I've been doing this since Christmas, as I got a gift of a month with the app Head Space. It's been quite a refreshing thing to do.

Be more aware when eating. I feel like I've got mindless with it e.g. when snacking. I want to enjoy and notice the food when I eat it, and not eat just for the sake of it.

Judge myself less. I'm pretty good at not judging and being accepting of others, but I can't seem to extend this to myself. I'm going to try and allow negative thoughts but then match or outweigh them with a positive thought/action.

Drink green tea most days (every day if possible!)

So let's see how this goes :tongue: I'll post a little summary of the last 4/5 days below :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm using myfitnesspal which is helping. A brief overview:

29th of December-2nd of January:

29th:
1,349 calories. Breakfast: 2 slices of wholemeal seeded toast with spread and marmite. Coffee. Lunch: Tuna and sweetcorn sandwich, mango, melon, pineapple wedges. Dinner: Linda McCartney Country Pie, 1 potato waffle, peas, sweetcorn. 3 segments of mini terry's chocolate orange. Green tea.

Walked quite a lot around town. But only 5,821 steps according to my Fitbit.

30th:
1,211 calories: Breakfast: 2 slices of wholemeal seeded toast with spread and marmite. Coffee. Lunch: red pepper and wensleydale soup. Dinner: tuna and sweetcorn sandwich, walker's paprika crisps, satsuma. Orange juice, green tea.

Was quite active today, up and down the stairs and moving a lot as I was sorting things out at my mum's house. I was on my feet most of the day. 8,087 steps according to my Fitbit.

31st:
1,380 calories. Breakfast: 2 slices of wholemeal seeded toast with spread and marmite, a small banana. Coffee. Lunch: Vegetable soup. Dinner: Linguine with tofu, mushrooms, spinach, and soya cream. Home made garlic bread - 2 pieces.

Went on a walk around the area, for about 35 minutes as well as generally moving around a fair amount. 8,476 steps according to my Fitbit.

1st:
1,355 calories. Late breakfast: 2 slices of wholemeal seeded toast with spread and marmite. Coffee. Lunch/dinner (woke up late): Risotto with mushrooms, onion, garlic, peas, sweetcorn, tofu. Pudding (had guests over!): sticky toffee pudding and custard. Green tea.

Slept in late (uncommon for me), so less activity today, only 4,347 steps.

2nd (today so far, to be added):
1,221 calories. Breakfast: 2 slices of wholemeal seeded toast with spread and marmite. Coffee. Lunch: crunchy salad with falafel and a small amount of light mayo. Green tea. Dinner: chunky veg soup, 2 slices of wholemeal seeded bread and spread, one ferrero rocher (probably too much bread today but bread and ferrero rocher were eaten to make up some calories, as I would have been under 1000 cals otherwise). Diet coke.

Walked around town and around the area (two seperate 30 min walks, so totalling a hour), a bit more walking so the total was 13,300 steps today :biggrin:

I'm trying to drink at least one cup of green tea a day. Some days I've had 3 cups. I've had no alcohol (no, not even on NYE!) and actually no meat (not on purpose). I'm not veggie but don't eat a lot of meat unless I go out for meals. I might need to increase my meat intake for my iron levels/protein though! I will likely mix up my breakfast too, but I don't always find cereal filling enough - toast is often a better choice for me.

I've meditated most days apart from one - 31st I think. I know I need to increase my steps and activity too. I'll be trying to go on more walks and slowly build up to going to the gym etc.
(edited 4 years ago)
good luck :hugs:
Just been for another half an hour walk so I've made it to 10,000 steps :smile:

I should have added: regarding exercise - I have bad knees (I'm under physio) so I have to be careful about the intensity in terms of pressure on the knees. Physio have advised things like walking, swimming, and cycling rather than running or sports where you move suddenly and jump e.g. netball. I love badminton which comes under this type, so hopefully with my physio exercises and reduced weight/increased activity I might be able to get back into that more :smile:
Original post by Protostar
good luck :hugs:

Thank you! :hugs:
3rd of Jan:

Wow so I actually got off my backside and went to the gym (I had a free day as I'm still on annual leave until Tuesday). Idk why I had been so anxious around this. I actually weirdly enjoyed it. I always used to enjoy it when I was a regular gym goer - I guess I'm more conscious of my body and Fitness now. Anyway, here's a summary of the gym:

- Just over 20 mins moderate paced cycling on the static bike. 5 miles. Apparently 250 calories.
- Weights: 6 sets of 10 rep bicep curls (mix of 6kg and 4kg). 3 sets of 10 rep tricep exercises with 2kg. 2 sets of 10 reps of shoulder exercises with 8kg. I used to be able to life more and I can tell I'm weaker so I'd like to improve my strength and stamina with weights.
- 30 sit ups
- Leg exercises with machines: 30 reps of quad machine exercises. 30 reps of hamstring machine exercises. 30 reps of leg press machine. I can't remember all the weights, I'll try and keep a note of this if/when I go back :tongue:
- 10 mins on the tremill fast paced walking.
- stretches and balancing exercises at the end (part of my physio exercises).

Also went on a walk this after with my mum and step dad for 35 mins. So far I'm on 10,200 steps.

Food - 1,444 (more cals because of the gym etc.) :

Breakfast: 2 slices of wholemeal seeded toast with spread and marmite. Banana. Coffee.

Lunch: Turkey and falafel with crunchy salad (lettuce, carrots, red cabbage). Green tea.

Snack: satsuma

Dinner: Veg soup. Crusty seeded bread and spread (MFP can't find the cals from the barcode so I've had to estimate 300 cals for the bread with the spread). Turkey. Had some chocolate after (1 row/5 chucks of dairy milk) as my calories were quite low considering Fitbit recons I've burnt nearly 800 extra cals from the gym and walk.

I want to make sure I do some meditation tonight but apart from that I'm pretty happy with today so far :smile:

EDIT: I did my meditation and feel really good about today overall! :biggrin:
(edited 4 years ago)
Following :smile:. Last year I went from 79kg to 68kg and im your height. So always happy to help if you need any advice.
Original post by SuperHuman98
Following :smile:. Last year I went from 79kg to 68kg and im your height. So always happy to help if you need any advice.

Congrats! Thank you :smile: What did you do to lose the weight? Was it more diet or exercise based, or a mix?
Original post by BurstingBubbles
Congrats! Thank you :smile: What did you do to lose the weight? Was it more diet or exercise based, or a mix?

More diet based. I also lifted weights and did a lot of walking (mainly walking around campus)
Good luck! I find it weirdly interesting to see the healthy foods other people eat - might give me some inspiration!

For myfitnesspal, do you have to weigh all of your food in order for it to be accurate? That's the impression I've got from it (from seeing my flatmate use it) and keep thinking it seems like quite a faff, especially if you're making meals from scratch and can't just scan the barcode. But it seems like a really good way to keep track of everything!
Original post by DrawTheLine
Good luck! I find it weirdly interesting to see the healthy foods other people eat - might give me some inspiration!

For myfitnesspal, do you have to weigh all of your food in order for it to be accurate? That's the impression I've got from it (from seeing my flatmate use it) and keep thinking it seems like quite a faff, especially if you're making meals from scratch and can't just scan the barcode. But it seems like a really good way to keep track of everything!

Haha I get this with other peoples's blogs too. I need more healthy meal ideas! :yep: Got any for me? :mmm:

I scan the barcode of the item. It depends on the product, e.g for bread, it normally has an option for 1 slice and then I can just put in 2 servings of that for the 2 slices I have. For things like rice or pasta, I use a set amount of the pack so I know, some packs have lines to show you how much is x amount of grams or a portion :smile:
Good luck! :thumbsup:
Haha I get this with other peoples's blogs too. I need more healthy meal ideas! :yep: Got any for me? :mmm:

I scan the barcode of the item. It depends on the product, e.g for bread, it normally has an option for 1 slice and then I can just put in 2 servings of that for the 2 slices I have. For things like rice or pasta, I use a set amount of the pack so I know, some packs have lines to show you how much is x amount of grams or a portion :smile:

I’ve seen the foods you eat, I go to the gym everyday and don’t eat that healthily. I’ve been everyday this Christmas.

Inspiration:
When I first joined the gym I weighed 90kg. In 6 weeks I lost 16kg. I know weigh 77kg exactly because I’m building up muscle

Oh that sounds fairly simple! Might give it a go when I'm back at uni

One of my go-tos is butternut squash soup. 1 butternut, a few potatoes, carrots and an onion with some seasoning and stock. Smush up and voila - at least 5 portions meaning I don't have to cook for the entire week :biggrin:
Original post by Greywolftwo
I’ve seen the foods you eat, I go to the gym everyday and don’t eat that healthily. I’ve been everyday this Christmas.

Inspiration:
When I first joined the gym I weighed 90kg. In 6 weeks I lost 16kg. I know weigh 77kg exactly because I’m building up muscle

That's good :smile: What exercise/routine do you have at the gym?

FYI before starting this, I did not eat this healthy at all! I often had very stodgy and sweet food which was no good for me.
Original post by DrawTheLine
Oh that sounds fairly simple! Might give it a go when I'm back at uni

One of my go-tos is butternut squash soup. 1 butternut, a few potatoes, carrots and an onion with some seasoning and stock. Smush up and voila - at least 5 portions meaning I don't have to cook for the entire week :biggrin:

Ooh yum! Is that for lunch or dinner? (or something either?). I don't want to just have soup for lunch or dinner all the time, but whilst I'm getting my calories down, I find it quite filling for quite a low amount of calories :tongue: I'll try and pick up some new meal ideas too :smile:
That's good :smile: What exercise/routine do you have at the gym?

This is my routine in no specific order (apart from cardio)

I do an 11 mile bike for 30mins then

Seated dip: 3 sets -
64kg

Arm curl: 3 sets -
1 set 20
1 set 10
1 set 20
36kg

Diverging lat pulldown -
4 sets
45kg

Triceps extension -
36kg

Pectoral fly set weights -
5 sets 10 32kg
Position 3

Diverging seated row -

5 sets 10 36kg

Converging shoulder press -

4 sets of 10

18kg

Pec fly:
Position 2

39kg

5 sets 10

Then I do a 30min row with current record sitting at 7,192 metres

I do also row, I train 8 times a week
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Greywolftwo
This is my routine in no specific order (apart from cardio)

I do an 11 mile bike for 30mins then

Seated dip: 3 sets -
64kg

Arm curl: 3 sets -
1 set 20
1 set 10
1 set 20
36kg

Diverging lat pulldown -
4 sets
45kg

Triceps extension -
36kg

Pectoral fly set weights -
5 sets 10 32kg
Position 3

Diverging seated row -

5 sets 10 36kg

Converging shoulder press -

4 sets of 10

18kg

Pec fly:
Position 2

39kg

5 sets 10

Then I do a 30min row with current record sitting at 7,192 metres

I do also row, I train 8 times a week

Nice. 11 miles on the bike in 30 minutes is fast? I assume the row is fast too? Also high weights, nice! Are you pretty damn muscly? :tongue:

I know I need to build up my exercise and strength, but one step at a time :yep:
Original post by laurawatt
Good luck! :thumbsup:

Thank you :biggrin:
Nice. 11 miles on the bike in 30 minutes is fast? I assume the row is fast too? Also high weights, nice! Are you pretty damn muscly? :tongue:

I know I need to build up my exercise and strength, but one step at a time :yep:

I’m beginning to see major progress and I’m beginning to see a lot of muscle. I also do HIIT workouts at home as well
Ooh yum! Is that for lunch or dinner? (or something either?). I don't want to just have soup for lunch or dinner all the time, but whilst I'm getting my calories down, I find it quite filling for quite a low amount of calories :tongue: I'll try and pick up some new meal ideas too :smile:

I've had it for both! Typically dinner, but sometimes if I'm doing an awkward shift at work (11-3 or 3-7 for example) I'll have it for lunch

Yeah it can get a bit repetitive but it's surprisingly filling for what it is

Quick Reply

Latest