The Student Room Group

messed up my Cambridge interview

I feel like I interviewed very badly. I was so nervous, I was shaking and could only remember the basics of topics I could normally talk about for years. It was very frustrating, and I can't stop thinking about how I could have answered things better- for example there was something on my personal statement that I could have talked about in good detail, but I failed to direct the conversation to it. I got a couple of the tricky academic questions right first time, and I talked about the more general questions well (comparatively), but I did terribly in one section (don't want to specify) and I feel like the second interview went awfully. I enjoyed both interviews, so I don't feel like it was a total disaster, I just know I could have done better. I don't want to shift the blame, but I recently developed a chronic illness and can feel the effect it has on me. It slows me down, it makes me nervous, it makes me unable to think clearly and i hate it so effing much. Do you think they'll understand how much my chronic illness was affecting me? How can I stop obsessing over this?

(ps: I'm sure I've been rejected and am planning on re-applying next year, when my chronic illness shouldn't be bothering me so much. I will not elaborate on what's wrong with me, but I was in pain for the whole interview and was exhausted.)

Edit: thank you everyone for ur kind words! Best of luck for decisions day xx

Edit 2: delighted to inform you all that I did indeed get an offer!! I'm leaving this up in the hopes that it'll comfort 2021 applicants who feel the way I did. Now just praying I meet my offer! :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi. It is very likely that they deal with several anxious people during interviews every year, given that it is one of the most prestigious universities in the world. Have our old them about your illness? If so, they would hopefully be more sympathetic when considering you. Good luck!
I'm sorry you had that experience. Oxbridge interviews are hard enough without adding a chronic illness into the mix.

Assuming you've informed your college of your illness or included it in your ucas form, the tutors interviewing you and those making your admissions decision will be aware of it. How much this influences their decision is a matter of personal judgement entirely out of your control, but I expect they would be understanding. I'm sure they've dealt with many people in similar situations before, and in my (albeit limited) experience, tutors tend to be accommodating and understand that many interviewees will have extenuating circumstances that may cause them more difficulties than other candidates face. You have done everything you can - how they view you and your illness is now out of your control.

That said, I understand. I interviewed for Oxford this year and have been obsessing over everything I did wrong, thinking over how my answers could have been better, how if I'd slept the night before I would have had a clearer mind, etc. I think that eventually you have to forgive yourself for being (understandably) nervous and in pain, but also understand that you did the best you could in difficult circumstances. Acknowledge that there's nothing you can change, and that almost undoubtedly every single other person who has interviewed for Oxbridge feels that they underperformed in some way and that they could have answered questions better. Having a plan - like your plan to reapply if rejected - is the best possible thing you can do now, and will hopefully help you to move forward.

Best of luck for decisions day.
(edited 4 years ago)
Unlucky man, I'm sure it is not as bad as you think
(edited 4 years ago)
Sorry to hear this. Only consolation I can offer is that I feel the exact same, and thought that in my Oxford interviews I literally couldn’t do the basics and was so stressed I couldn’t be myself and do things I could usually do in my sleep. It’s frustrating. But, everyone I know who’s gotten in to Oxbridge thought their interviews went horribly, and anyway, Oxbridge isn’t the be all and end all. Best of luck for decisions, and if are unsuccessful and decide to reapply then I wish you the best of luck with that too!
Reply 5
Well done on the offer! Honestly I feel like I bombed my Cambridge interviews yesterday. I lost my train of thought, I couldn’t answer questions in a structured way, and I was literally shaking because I was so nervous. I also have a chronic illness (IBS) and anxiety really messed me up so I was not feeling well. The second one felt like it went better? I honestly don’t know. I’m expecting a rejection at this point.
Reply 6
Original post by username4577650
I feel like I interviewed very badly. I was so nervous, I was shaking and could only remember the basics of topics I could normally talk about for years. It was very frustrating, and I can't stop thinking about how I could have answered things better- for example there was something on my personal statement that I could have talked about in good detail, but I failed to direct the conversation to it. I got a couple of the tricky academic questions right first time, and I talked about the more general questions well (comparatively), but I did terribly in one section (don't want to specify) and I feel like the second interview went awfully. I enjoyed both interviews, so I don't feel like it was a total disaster, I just know I could have done better. I don't want to shift the blame, but I recently developed a chronic illness and can feel the effect it has on me. It slows me down, it makes me nervous, it makes me unable to think clearly and i hate it so effing much. Do you think they'll understand how much my chronic illness was affecting me? How can I stop obsessing over this?

(ps: I'm sure I've been rejected and am planning on re-applying next year, when my chronic illness shouldn't be bothering me so much. I will not elaborate on what's wrong with me, but I was in pain for the whole interview and was exhausted.)

Edit: thank you everyone for ur kind words! Best of luck for decisions day xx

Edit 2: delighted to inform you all that I did indeed get an offer!! I'm leaving this up in the hopes that it'll comfort 2021 applicants who feel the way I did. Now just praying I meet my offer! :smile:

Fu😂😂😂 this post put me on the biggest emotional rollercoaster life Wtf🤣🤣🤣 I’m happy for you though!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending