The Student Room Group

Halifax Closing my account; I committed fraud... please help

Hi I’m new here and I’ve been reading many forums.

I’m 16 in yr 11. My GCSE’s are soon and I’m working really hard to get the good grades. I really do hope I still have a bright dream future as a lawyer to make my family proud :smile:.

To keep this quick and snappy, I was enticed to commit fraud on a halifax account I have. This is different from AC, it’s called ATM Fraud.
For those who don’t know, you take out money and trick and atm it never gave money. You call the bank, and they’ll give you the money.

I gave my card to a friend in school who Ik does fraud, he convinces me that it’s risk free. He sends it to a guy he trusts to do it, my friend calls the bank for me. The guy does it twice in a row, (Does it on Saturday, money arrives Monday. Takes out the money through the atm fraud, my friend calls, I get the money on Tuesday).

The money gets taken out to be given to me, (total of £1000 has been refunded, £500 each “job” and I get 50%)
Shortly afterwards, I get a text from Halifax saying they are closing my account in 60 days.

I have a child trust fund with Halifax and idk what it’ll do to that too :frown:.

After reading many forums, it’s most likely I have a CIFAS on my name. Tbh, I don’t really know what good is me saying it here, but I think I just need some advice on the matter and what I can do to confirm if I have a cifas. I really don’t want my parents to know and it’s a mistake I accept, I was just blind to the money, I really didn’t think I’ll get caught but here I am.

Please guys I jus need some advice, and idc if u have negative things to say really...

TL;DR I did atm fraud with my friend and Halifax is closing my account. I jus need some advice as to what is going to happen and how I can cope with any consequences that may follow .. :frown:

Just to reiterate, I do regret it. I regret everything I’ve done here, and I’m here to make a change in a life. This won’t happen again, so please keep your spite and anger away, it’s simply not needed at this moment.

I’m sorry once again.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You're an idiot. There's hardly anything you can do excepT waiting 6yrs for it to disappear.
Original post by kkboyk
You're an idiot. There's hardly anything you can do excepT waiting 6yrs for it to disappear.

Agreed plus lmao why would you need a debit card during your GCSEs unless you earn a lot of money (card= easier to store the money) or use public transport (card= if you need to have a lot cash to get a taxi in case of emergency etc) to get to school
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by kkboyk

Yhh ik I’m such an idiot idk I jus was acting reckless and invincible
Original post by Username2346774

I’m 16 in yr 11. My GCSE’s are soon and I’m working really hard to get the good grades. I really do hope I still have a bright dream future as a lawyer to make my family proud :smile:.

To keep this quick and snappy, I was enticed to commit fraud on a halifax account I have. This is different from AC, it’s called ATM Fraud.
For those who don’t know, you take out money and trick and atm it never gave money. You call the bank, and they’ll give you the money.

I gave my card to a friend in school who Ik does fraud, he convinces me that it’s risk free. He sends it to a guy he trusts to do it, my friend calls the bank for me. The guy does it twice in a row, (Does it on Saturday, money arrives Monday. Takes out the money through the atm fraud, my friend calls, I get the money on Tuesday).

The money gets taken out to be given to me, (total of £1000 has been refunded, £500 each “job” and I get 50%)
Shortly afterwards, I get a text from Halifax saying they are closing my account in 60 days.

I have a child trust fund with Halifax and idk what it’ll do to that too :frown:.

After reading many forums, it’s most likely I have a CIFAS on my name. Tbh, I don’t really know what good is me saying it here, but I think I just need some advice on the matter and what I can do to confirm if I have a cifas. I really don’t want my parents to know and it’s a mistake I accept, I was just blind to the money, I really didn’t think I’ll get caught but here I am.

Please guys I jus need some advice, and idc if u have negative things to say really...

TL;DR I did atm fraud with my friend and Halifax is closing my account. I jus need some advice as to what is going to happen and how I can cope with any consequences that may follow .. :frown:

Well you f'd up, you listened to an idiot.
Also he has completely played you, he takes very little risk You take a lot. Not to mention this is a criminal offense, now you must deal with the consequences.

I suggest you go get some proper advice, go ask your parents deal with the wrath I can imagine a parent would have then try and go see a professional advisor, who can give you the best guidance to mitigate the damage so you can open other bank accounts and other financial tools such as loans etc in the future.
Original post by 1st superstar
Agreed plus lmao why would you need a debit card during your GCSEs unless you earn a lot of money (card= easier to store the money) or use public transport (card= if you need to have a lot cash to get a taxi etc) to get to school

I’ve jus been money savvy. I used to want to be an accountant or investment banker until I realised the stress from reading about it. Then I realise my passion for arguing with people so I turned it into good use into wanting to be a lawyer 😂.

I have a debit card to go out for lunch, my mum sends a bit of money every week so I can have lunch, but recently I just been saving it in another account.

Yes, I get money a week, why tf would I still commit fraud? Greed. I was just greedy and I put my hand up, it’s wrong. I honestly don’t wanna do this again..
Reply 6
Yhh ik I’m such an idiot idk I jus was acting reckless and invincible

And because of that you f'd up very badly. This will also affect your career if you're thinking of working in a finance/business related roles and some big corporations, which they will ask you if you have cifas or committed fraud before. Sure enough you can fight it to try to get rid of it, but its extremely unlikely.

Its best for you to seek advice from a professional advisor.
Original post by mnot
Well you f'd up, you listened to an idiot.
Also he has completely played you, he takes very little risk You take a lot. Not to mention this is a criminal offense, now you must deal with the consequences.

I suggest you go get some proper advice, go ask your parents deal with the wrath I can imagine a parent would have then try and go see a professional advisor, who can give you the best guidance to mitigate the damage so you can open other bank accounts and other financial tools such as loans etc in the future.

I trust him because he was a friend from yr 7, played PS4 together and stuff. He didn’t realise that his guy would **** everything up. Neither did I, I thought I’d never get caught but I say again, here I am facing the music.
I can’t tell my parents, especially with asian parents, they’ll kill me. I understand it’s my own fault, but I never want my parents to see this side of me..
Original post by kkboyk
And because of that you f'd up very badly. This will also affect your career if you're thinking of working in a finance/business related roles and some big corporations, which they will ask you if you have cifas or committed fraud before. Sure enough you can fight it to try to get rid of it, but its extremely unlikely.

Its best for you to seek advice from a professional advisor.

where could I get some professional anonymous help?
Your parents either find out from you or from the next bank you try to open an account with. Your choice.
Reply 10
where could I get some professional anonymous help?

Could try independent accountants and fraud lawyers.
I trust him because he was a friend from yr 7, played PS4 together and stuff. He didn’t realise that his guy would **** everything up. Neither did I, I thought I’d never get caught but I say again, here I am facing the music.
I can’t tell my parents, especially with asian parents, they’ll kill me. I understand it’s my own fault, but I never want my parents to see this side of me..

Its going to become very obvious to your parents when the bank starts sending letters to your address. You need proper consultation with an expert on this area on what best mitigates your financial future for the next decade. Now im going to suggest you deal with the anger and frustration your parents will inevitably have, the sooner you get that over with, the sooner you move on.
Original post by mnot
Its going to become very obvious to your parents when the bank starts sending letters to your address. You need proper consultation with an expert on this area on what best mitigates your financial future for the next decade. Now im going to suggest you deal with the anger and frustration your parents will inevitably have, the sooner you get that over with, the sooner you move on.

I honestly don’t believe I have the will power to ask my mum or dad to sit with me so I can confess a crime. Honestly speaking, I don’t think I can ever in my life to tell my parents I’ve disappointed them. I simply can’t do it, which only tells me this is just not the life for me.

So you decided to commit fraud i.e a crime and you are unhappy because they cottoned on.
You need to find out what Halifax expects to happen to your trust account and may need to make alternative arrangements.
Whoever is responsible for the account will find out when the payments are returned.

You can contact CIFAS to find out.

https://www.cifas.org.uk/individuals
I’ve jus been money savvy. I used to want to be an accountant or investment banker until I realised the stress from reading about it. Then I realise my passion for arguing with people so I turned it into good use into wanting to be a lawyer 😂.

I have a debit card to go out for lunch, my mum sends a bit of money every week so I can have lunch, but recently I just been saving it in another account.

Yes, I get money a week, why tf would I still commit fraud? Greed. I was just greedy and I put my hand up, it’s wrong. I honestly don’t wanna do this again..

You think you are suitable to be a lawyer?
Original post by 999tigger
You think you are suitable to be a lawyer?

Honestly, yes. I really do, I love law and learning all about it. Ironic how I broke the law but if I can get past this stage in life where I messed up really badly, it’ll be something I look back and I laugh on for being so stupid. I really do see myself as a lawyer or maybe even in the police force at this point, to really make a change.
I honestly don’t believe I have the will power to ask my mum or dad to sit with me so I can confess a crime. Honestly speaking, I don’t think I can ever in my life to tell my parents I’ve disappointed them. I simply can’t do it, which only tells me this is just not the life for me.

Your 16, grow up tell them. Big enough to do the crime, now be big enough to sort it out (or at least get help).
So you decided to commit fraud i.e a crime and you are unhappy because they cottoned on.
You need to find out what Halifax expects to happen to your trust account and may need to make alternative arrangements.
Whoever is responsible for the account will find out when the payments are returned.

You can contact CIFAS to find out.

https://www.cifas.org.uk/individuals

Unlike some other people on the forum who will make up lies to back themselves, although I wouldn’t say I’m “unhappy” but rather mixed between disappointed and glad. If I hadn’t been stopped, I still think I would’ve carried on and that’s a fact. I’m disappointed because I even let myself do this and it’s honestly so stupid of me, a mistake I’ll never forget in life.

Regarding the CTF, I’ll have to call Halifax tomorrow and ask why my account is being closed, maybe even ask what would happen to my CTF since it is actually opened under my mum’s name.
Unlike some other people on the forum who will make up lies to back themselves, although I wouldn’t say I’m “unhappy” but rather mixed between disappointed and glad. If I hadn’t been stopped, I still think I would’ve carried on and that’s a fact. I’m disappointed because I even let myself do this and it’s honestly so stupid of me, a mistake I’ll never forget in life.

Regarding the CTF, I’ll have to call Halifax tomorrow and ask why my account is being closed, maybe even ask what would happen to my CTF since it is actually opened under my mum’s name.

Havent you worked out that you arent very good at lying and fraud?
I expect theres little you can do to your mum finding out and it wont take her long to figure out what you have done when the bank contact her or she asks. Stealing £1000 is no small amount.
Havent you worked out that you arent very good at lying and fraud?
I expect theres little you can do to your mum finding out and it wont take her long to figure out what you have done when the bank contact her or she asks. Stealing £1000 is no small amount.

Wdum lying, at no point am I making lies. Everything I feel is genuine and I’m being honest for my poor mistakes.

And yes I do understand £1000 isn’t a small amount.
I’d like to keep this on a lid for now.

Latest

Trending

Trending