The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

University of Edinburgh Accommodation 2020

Hi!!!!
So I have a UF offer to study at Edinburgh starting September 2020 but the thought of accommodation is stressing me out! I don't want to live somewhere quiet or where I wont make friends. I know I want self catered but I am unsure as to whether I should give up the en-suite as I have heard its both a waste of money and that the more social halls don't have them! I am going to be spending most of my time at the George Square campus, so I don't want anything too far either. I have struggled to find any posts about this on here, especially recent ones! So if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
Think you need to wait 2 -3 days after accepting offer for everything to update. That’s what it says on Edinburgh’s website
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by ottersandseals1
Is it possible to apply now?

Not yet, applications usually open in March! I think!!!
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Think you need to wait 2 -3 days after accepting offer for everything to update. That’s what it says on Edinburgh’s website

I think that is for people who have just received offers. I had deferred entry, so my place was made UF last August so I do not need to wait for anything like that!
Original post by Demi!
Hi!!!!
So I have a UF offer to study at Edinburgh starting September 2020 but the thought of accommodation is stressing me out! I don't want to live somewhere quiet or where I wont make friends. I know I want self catered but I am unsure as to whether I should give up the en-suite as I have heard its both a waste of money and that the more social halls don't have them! I am going to be spending most of my time at the George Square campus, so I don't want anything too far either. I have struggled to find any posts about this on here, especially recent ones! So if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Hey! I'm a student currently at Edinburgh uni, I stayed in Salisbury Court and I loved it! It is one of the more expensive halls I'm ngl but definitely worth it in my opinion. I had no problem making friends as it is a really social place with regular accommodation events, a big common room and courtyard downstairs and TV in the kitchen of flats! Rooms are really nice with ensuite too!

I know it is still so far away but my biggest piece of advice no matter what halls you are in is to go with your flat to knock on your neighbours doors during freshers week and introduce yourselves - it is how I have made most of my best friends from uni :smile:
Reply 5
Hey! I'm a student currently at Edinburgh uni, I stayed in Salisbury Court and I loved it! It is one of the more expensive halls I'm ngl but definitely worth it in my opinion. I had no problem making friends as it is a really social place with regular accommodation events, a big common room and courtyard downstairs and TV in the kitchen of flats! Rooms are really nice with ensuite too!

I know it is still so far away but my biggest piece of advice no matter what halls you are in is to go with your flat to knock on your neighbours doors during freshers week and introduce yourselves - it is how I have made most of my best friends from uni :smile:

Hi, thank you for replying! This has definitely calmed my nerves. Salisbury is my top choice at the moment but how likely is it that I will get my first choice accommodation? I don't know if you know anything about Blackfriars Street but that is most likely my second choice due to how close it is to campus and the fact it has an ensuite! But the pictures online look super outdated? Also, just out of curiosity what places did you put in your preference list? Sorry I have a lot of questions! It is just a big worry for me, haha!
Original post by Demi!
Hi, thank you for replying! This has definitely calmed my nerves. Salisbury is my top choice at the moment but how likely is it that I will get my first choice accommodation? I don't know if you know anything about Blackfriars Street but that is most likely my second choice due to how close it is to campus and the fact it has an ensuite! But the pictures online look super outdated? Also, just out of curiosity what places did you put in your preference list? Sorry I have a lot of questions! It is just a big worry for me, haha!

Honestly don't worry, everyone else will be feeling the same! I'm not sure how likely you are to get your top choice, I can't fully remember which order I put them but I applied to only self-catered ensuites which were no more than 30minute walk from King's building as I am a science student. I put Deaconness as my top choice, only because Salisbury was brand new the year I applied!
In all honesty I haven't met anyone from or heard anything about Blackfriars street so I can't comment on that.

Another thing to consider is whether you'll be wanting to play sports such as football, hockey, rugby, lacrosse etc as Peffermill sports grounds are ~30 minute walk from central, so accommodation such as fountainbridge, brae house, murano etc are pretty far away (although buses are cheap and soo frequent).
And don't apologise, I had so many questions when I was in your position so I'm more than happy to help :smile:
Reply 7
Honestly don't worry, everyone else will be feeling the same! I'm not sure how likely you are to get your top choice, I can't fully remember which order I put them but I applied to only self-catered ensuites which were no more than 30minute walk from King's building as I am a science student. I put Deaconness as my top choice, only because Salisbury was brand new the year I applied!
In all honesty I haven't met anyone from or heard anything about Blackfriars street so I can't comment on that.

Another thing to consider is whether you'll be wanting to play sports such as football, hockey, rugby, lacrosse etc as Peffermill sports grounds are ~30 minute walk from central, so accommodation such as fountainbridge, brae house, murano etc are pretty far away (although buses are cheap and soo frequent).
And don't apologise, I had so many questions when I was in your position so I'm more than happy to help :smile:

I think I am going to follow your advice and try and pick ensuites that are only 30 minutes walk away from the George Square campus as I am studying english/history. I think my main worry was that the ensuite accommodations tend to be further out from central and I don't want to be too isolated from everyone! I am really hoping I manage to get into Salisbury tbh as it does seem perfect for me. Not a super sporty person so I don't think that will be too much of an issue!!!! Yeah, Edinburgh seem to be lacking in resources for all the questions I have. Just wondering, are you an international, Scottish or student from England/Wales or Ireland? I have a question about finance that you might be able to answer if you don't mind. :smile:
Original post by Demi!
Hi!!!!

Hello!
Ensuites are not always expensive. It is just a myth that we need to bust. I think living off-campus will solve all of your concerns. You will have the perfect amount of space and privacy that you could ask for. Most people living in off-campus accommodations are students, so you will be able to find likeminded people in a jiffy. Explore options on Unilodgers. They even have options based on your preferences like distance from the university, city centre as well as great budget-friendly options.
Reply 9

Hi, Sorry to jump into this - but wondered which you thought were the nicest self-catered halls in terms of meeting people?
Reply 10
Oh - and I'll also be at Kings' building.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending