The Student Room Group

Fear of driving single control car

Hello, I’ve done 20 hrs driving lessons with a driving instructor and I have my own car that I have not driven yet due to being scared as there is no pedals for my dad to stop me if something goes wrong. I am doing my test once I reach 30 hrs as I am pretty much ready for my test.
How do I overcome the fear of driving single control car?
I’ve already driven a car with my dad but it was double controls which made me calmer to drive.
(edited 4 years ago)
How about you go to an empty carpark with your dad sometime - he can drive you there, and you can practice until you feel better. Afterwards, you can go onto the road if you feel more confident. It will be scary your first time, but I promise it isn't so bad :smile:
Why don’t you go out with your dad for practice in a normal car? It would help you massively, you could go somewhere that’s quiet and practice?

After I passed my driving test was when I got my own car, I had someone come out with me the first few times, but other than that I forced myself to go out for drives by myself.. I started off by small drives then increased the journey length before I was used to driving by myself. I know it sounds scary but I promise you you will get used to driving a non learner car by yourself and you’ll feel comfortable and confident :smile:
Original post by redmeercat
How about you go to an empty carpark with your dad sometime - he can drive you there, and you can practice until you feel better. Afterwards, you can go onto the road if you feel more confident. It will be scary your first time, but I promise it isn't so bad :smile:

Sounds like a good idea, will try that.
Thanks!
Original post by ohhello92x
Why don’t you go out with your dad for practice in a normal car? It would help you massively, you could go somewhere that’s quiet and practice?

After I passed my driving test was when I got my own car, I had someone come out with me the first few times, but other than that I forced myself to go out for drives by myself.. I started off by small drives then increased the journey length before I was used to driving by myself. I know it sounds scary but I promise you you will get used to driving a non learner car by yourself and you’ll feel comfortable and confident :smile:

I want to start driving my car, so I can get used to it also to have more practice leading up to my test day.
I will try to go on quiet roads and so I can become comfortable driving a non-learner car.

Thanks for the reply!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending