The Student Room Group

EXTREME driving test anxiety

I have my 5th driving test today....I've obviously failed all of the others, and it's mostly all down to nerves.
Leading up to my test, I can't sleep for about 4 days because of the dread and worry. The two days before, I'm a sleep-deprived hysterical mess and I can't stop crying. And then I think up ways to get out of it, involving ways to hurting myself. Ugh it feels horrible. I suffer from bad mental health anyway, but this is an awful trigger.
It's been like this ever since I took my 1st, and it became worse and worse every time.

On lessons, I'm absolutely fine. My instructor told me 2 tests ago that I don't need any more lessons because I can drive really well. I've had well over 100 driving hours since I started learning. It's this anxiety ordeal that messes everything up for me.

This cannot be normal, especially when it starts to risk my safety.
I've tried Kalms but they didn't help at all.
I know it's a long shot, but any advice guys?
Go to your doctor and see if you can get some anxiety meds. I got some beta blockers, they really help. Sometimes there isn’t anything you can do about anxiety like this, like the not sleeping
If after a visit from the doctor this fails to cure your health issues, there would be no shame at all in not driving, whether this for good or for a long period of time. It is ok not to be ok at certain things.
See a doctor.

OR... and I like this... get someone to book it for you on an unknown date! Then it'll be a surprise out of the blue! Can't be nervous then!

OR... go see a doctor.
I never suffered from the same type of anxiety, but after a few fails it was just getting pissed off that helped me pass.

My 3rd test I just didn't want to do it, wasn't in the mood, I'd have cancelled/moved it if it wasn't too short notice. So i was resigned to just getting it over with so I could get on with my day and that worked, totally snapped me out of 'exam' mentality and into a sullen 'fk, lets just get this over with' which is far easier to manage.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending