The Student Room Group

How to stop a manual car on a hill?

Hi I've recently passed my driving test but ive had lessons and learnt how to drive in about a year. I didnt really learn hill stops as there werent many hilly roads in the driving test route. I went on a hill the other day and i didnt know what to do so my car just stalled after i moved as i was stationary on the hill. I then had to tell someone else to take it up the hill for me. Any idea on the best way to do this as ive got a manual car.
Reply 1
I presume you mean how to start a car moving up a hill?

You should have the handbrake on, so select 1st or reverse gear (depending which way you're going) but keep your foot down on the clutch. Floor the accelerator (with practice you won't need to be as aggressive but for now go with that) and slowly lift off the clutch until you feel the car start to move. Then release the handbrake and you're off.
Original post by dj_ad_1
Hi I've recently passed my driving test but ive had lessons and learnt how to drive in about a year. I didnt really learn hill stops as there werent many hilly roads in the driving test route. I went on a hill the other day and i didnt know what to do so my car just stalled after i moved as i was stationary on the hill. I then had to tell someone else to take it up the hill for me. Any idea on the best way to do this as ive got a manual car.

Some would say use your handbrake but I don’t bother with that.
On a hill, I’d get the biting point and hold it still. Then foot on accelerator , and that’s it.
When I first started driving, I’d proper rev the accelerator so that I don’t stall or roll back. It was be loud and might annoy other drivers, but I decided that it was better than stalling when I’m the first in a long queue at the traffic lights. You will get used to it.
Stopping on a hill is very much the same as stopping on level ground. Brake gently and then apply the clutch before you come to a stop to ensure you don't stall. You will only ever stall if the vehicle is moving too slowly for the gear it is in. You will never stall if the clutch is engaged.

When moving off, it is best practice to have the handbrake applied initially, Set the revs a little higher than usual - you will need more revs and more momentum to move against gravity if you're trying to ascend a hill. Gently lift the clutch to the bite until the car engine starts to pull, remove the handbrake and apply more or less revs if necessary until you start moving properly. You can then lift off the clutch completely and drive as normal.
Original post by ThomH97
I presume you mean how to start a car moving up a hill?

You should have the handbrake on, so select 1st or reverse gear (depending which way you're going) but keep your foot down on the clutch. Floor the accelerator (with practice you won't need to be as aggressive but for now go with that) and slowly lift off the clutch until you feel the car start to move. Then release the handbrake and you're off.

oh ok thanks how much practice do u think ill need as i dont want the other drivers horning at me. I also heard that if u hold the clutch for too long and press the gas pedal simultaneosly it is not good for the car.
Original post by cherryred90s
Some would say use your handbrake but I don’t bother with that.
On a hill, I’d get the biting point and hold it still. Then foot on accelerator , and that’s it.
When I first started driving, I’d proper rev the accelerator so that I don’t stall or roll back. It was be loud and might annoy other drivers, but I decided that it was better than stalling when I’m the first in a long queue at the traffic lights. You will get used to it.

Firstly thanks for your reply. If i get to the biting point will i need to press the brake just in case rolls back. When the accelerator is pressed, i heard that it is not good for the car and can maybe damage the internal structure of the car. How much practice do u think i need as i passed my test in january.
Get someone to show you...Or perhaps have a refresher lesson in the hilly area. Bristol and Bath are very hilly, so plenty of practice for hill starts, whereas London is flat as a pancake. Rolling back is obviously very risky, so get a good bite point before releasing the handbrake.
Being shown in person is far better than being told online.
Handbrake on, have the clutch at the biting point and set the revs to around 3/3.5.
Slowly let go of the clutch once you remove the handbrake
Reply 8
Original post by dj_ad_1
oh ok thanks how much practice do u think ill need as i dont want the other drivers horning at me. I also heard that if u hold the clutch for too long and press the gas pedal simultaneosly it is not good for the car.

You might get the hang of it quickly it out might take longer, but since you need to know how to do it it doesn't matter how long it takes.

Practice on a hill that doesn't have much traffic, parked up against the curb. Start with shallower hills and work your way to to steeper ones.

No it's not good for the car, but nor is stalling it and rolling back into the car behind you.
Original post by dj_ad_1
Firstly thanks for your reply. If i get to the biting point will i need to press the brake just in case rolls back. When the accelerator is pressed, i heard that it is not good for the car and can maybe damage the internal structure of the car. How much practice do u think i need as i passed my test in january.

If the car is at biting point it won't roll back, you aren't taking the handbrake off till the car is already vibrating and trying to move forward, so as soon as you remove that brake, it moves forward. Sitting at biting point isn't good for the clutch system, but a few seconds hill start isn't going to bother it.
Original post by dj_ad_1

No, if you’ve got the biting point then you won’t roll back. As soon as you’ve got that bite, apply gas, a bit more gas than you ordinarily would if you were on a flat road and you’ll move. Don’t fully release the clutch until your car is moving.
I can’t tell you much practice you should have. As you improve and get more confident with your driving and get used to your car, all these things will be like second nature to you.
Original post by pericardium
When moving off, it is best practice to have the handbrake applied initially, Set the revs a little higher than usual - you will need more revs and more momentum to move against gravity if you're trying to ascend a hill. Gently lift the clutch to the bite until the car engine starts to pull, remove the handbrake and apply more or less revs if necessary until you start moving properly. You can then lift off the clutch completely and drive as normal.

I'm guessing that you're having problems because of incorrect training from your driving instructor. Did you learn to drive with a diesel engine? Too many instructors do not teach people proper control, they try to take a short cut and teach the incorrect 'clutch fighting against brake' technique which leads to the kind of problem you are having.

The above quote is a simple and clear description of correct moving off procedure which all drivers should follow.

Regards
Don L Gates @UK Driving Skills
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending