The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Wellcome PhD Mental Health

Hi everyone! Has someone applied to UCL Wellcome 4-year PhD program at the Insititute for mental health? If so, have you received an answer, or a call for interview, or a rejection, anything... Thanks in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I've applied! Haven't heard anything yet. Hopefully soon...
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Hiya! I've applied too. I emailed and asked and interview invites are meant to go out next week. Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by LottieBriscoe15
Hiya! I've applied too. I emailed and asked and interview invites are meant to go out next week. Good luck!

That's amazing! Thank you for letting us know. Good luck!
Reply 4
thanks for the info! good luck to both of you!
I also applied for the programme. I am wondering how many applications they received for the 6 places... Good luck everyone!
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
I also applied for the programme. I am wondering how many applications they received for the 6 places... Good luck everyone!

same haha
i think i read somewhere that around 200 people applied for wellcome neuroscience phd a couple of years ago, also for 6 places
idk if neuroscience is more sought after than this mental health phd or not
Reply 7
I received a rejection e-mail today and they said there were 400 applications. Good luck to everyone else x
Reply 8
Original post by iuls
I received a rejection e-mail today and they said there were 400 applications. Good luck to everyone else x

yeah, me too.. I was kinda shocked to see 400 applications... thank you, and good luck to you too in future jobs/phd applications!
Reply 9
I suppose mental health has (rightly so) become a big deal, and factor that in with it being in London, the money, as well as the international applications... never an ideal situation, but what can we do?! Good luck to you also, and thanks for opening up the thread, it meant a lot to know others who were waiting too :smile:
before they re-branded the program, last year i got an email that thy were over 600 application, so consider 400 a reduction haha
Nah it was the same old Neuroscience Phd with a fancy new name... it is basically the same thing they just changed the name and allegedly the focus as a bid to the Welcome Trust as they changed the criteria and cut the funding off to most universities..
It was the same with the neuroscience.. you can do it wherever the only thing that is new is the name.. it is the same thing rotations then you pic a PhD.. It is well known among all current Wellcome trust students that the programme is not at all new. Supervisors in each university, on each Wellcome Trust programme change due to internal policies - the focus is allegedly different as it should be more focused on the clinical side of things..
I am at Cardiff and loving it.. That said it varies between universities, including some of the assessments in the first year and also policies about choosing PhDs.. Cardiff is extremely friendly, the culture is lovely and the directors are trying very hard to ensure we are not being bullied and exploited to work long hours.. The wellcome community is lovely, majority of us know each other, hag out together and are like one big family.. The interview was very very informal and friendly, you are not tied up to do your PhD in a lab where you have done rotation (as it is the case in UCL from what I have been told).. Each university is seeking something different in their students .. I didn't get shortlisted anywhere else and based on public profiles UCL/Oxford have preference for students from Imperial/UCL/Oxford and Cambridge - that bias is non existent in Cardiff.. - they seem to have preference for hard workers, who likely won't be able to afford a PhD without funding.. So it really depends what you are looking for.. The Cardiff programme was always my top choice and coming for the interview made me fall in love with the city and university - just feels like home.
Can anyone give me insight? I’m applying this year round and would like a bit of guidance.
To all the people who applied this year and gave an interview, did you get in?
Reply 16
I had my interview on Tuesday and haven't heard back yet
same. how was your interview
i feel like i messed up.
Reply 19
I thought it went okay but I’m not feeling super optimistic right now - I would have thought they’d have reached out to successful candidates by now. It was so rapid though! What do you feel messed up?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending