The Student Room Group

How do I get a Uni to release me??

Hello,

Righty - this is the situation. Firmed Durham with an offer of AAB, insurance being Sheffield with the same conditions.
Dont think I will meet the conditions of AAB - may be a just miss. Durham will probably reject me. Sheffield I hear is a bit more lenient, so there may be a chance they will accept me.

I have no intentions what so ever of going to Sheffield. I didnt even want to insure it but my teacher said I should - just incase. But I really dont wana go!

If I dont get into Durham, I'd rather try to get in through Clearing, or some other Uni in the North.

How do I get Sheff to release me? Do I need a valid reason? Will they release me in time considering Results Day is in 10 days time? (EEK!!!). I didnt realise until now that it takes a while for the Uni to release me if i want to go through clearing. Time that I cant waste! :no:

Thanks in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

My sentiments exactly :smile:
not sure tbh, i have a similar situation with Cardiff.
Are you absolutely sure about this?

If so, phone Sheffield up, as soon as possible (i.e. tomorrow morning), and ask them to release you. Just tell them you've changed your mind. If they try to object, don't let them.
Why only in the north ?

:smile:
Is there not something on ucas you can click to cancel your application to certain unis? I did this with Strathclyde when I discovered I was being offered an unconditional offer to RGU.
Phone them and be persusive
Reply 7
Strictly speaking though, they hold the right to not release you.
Well they can't make/force you to go. That's how I see things with Nottingham! The only problem is whether you'll be allowed to go through clearing. I know some people who have done this though!
Reply 9
Why do i have to be persuasive =S
In the north because because of family circumstances I have to stay quite close to home..
Reply 10
Oh no! Will they let me go through clearing???
Reply 11
*Miss-Brightside*
Well they can't make/force you to go. That's how I see things with Nottingham! The only problem is whether you'll be allowed to go through clearing. I know some people who have done this though!

That's what I meant - you wouldn't be properly eligible for clearing if they refused. Also, there may be problems with the student loan if this is the case.

But I think it's highly unlikely that they wouldn't release you given that most universities oversubscribe expecting some candidates to not meet their offers.
Stroll into the uni and threaten one of the tutors. Then tell them you will be attending the uni soon?
Reply 13
should i ring up asap??? and ask them?
petiso
Why do i have to be persuasive =S
In the north because because of family circumstances I have to stay quite close to home..

You have to be persuasive because they hold the right to not release you.

Ring them and tell them that due to family circumstances you have to to stay close to home, therefore you want to be released, and you should be fine. :yep:
Ring them and basically say (in better terms): I'm not going to go here whatever happens, so please do me a favour and yourself a favour by not having to mess around with a useless application.
Reply 16
am i doing the right thing? i just really dont want to go there and i need to be in the north. i feel bad putting them as insurance even though i didnt want to. will i be released in time for results day?
well if u get on to it sharpest u should be ok!
I really doubt they'd refuse to release you. Like people said they can't force you to come, and they'd be wasting a space on their if they didn't do it. Just plead your case, they should be understanding and sympathetic, especially as you have a family issue preventing you from being able to go.
Reply 19
I had to do this - I switched my firm and insurance round about a month ago. There's no point talking to UCAS cos they can't do anything about it until the universities speak to them personally - you have to phone the department of the uni and ask them to release you. I'm sure they can't say no :s-smilie: At least they didn't with me lol (probably glad to get rid of me... :p: )

Latest

Trending

Trending