The Student Room Group

University Not Confirming Attendance for 1 month

Hello all, I am a foundation year student starting 29/01. My university has told me on induction/enrolment that they do not confirm attendance for 4-6 weeks after the course has started in order to “prove” that you’re dedicated. Being an estranged student with limited capability for work(UC not PIP)
This leaves me with very little options as it’s in London and I am in Birmingham, I already have a student accommodation secured but made no rental payments as of yet(waiting on maintenance) what are my options if there are any?
Reply 1
Hey, do you have a student union or something? That’s next to impossible to do otherwise your tuition fees won’t be paid. Maybe they’re saying that just to scare you guys?
I hope they don’t do that at all uni’s 😭 I wouldn’t go atp. But I think they do on the first day when you check in, but then afterwards when u get sfe for the term they won’t? It sounds weird.
Was it sent in an email or something before the start? And also I would get in contact with other departments to see what’s up with that.
If you’re lucky and your accom is run by the uni, I would talk to them/email them. If not, still talk to your university about it because it seems unrealistic bc your maintenance loan is supposed to cover your living costs and stuff.
Reply 2
I heard that sfe can be late sometimes so try not to worry about it unless it’s been a few days (1-3 days) after the induction.
Reply 3
Original post by Tania_122
Hey, do you have a student union or something? That’s next to impossible to do otherwise your tuition fees won’t be paid. Maybe they’re saying that just to scare you guys?
I hope they don’t do that at all uni’s 😭 I wouldn’t go atp. But I think they do on the first day when you check in, but then afterwards when u get sfe for the term they won’t? It sounds weird.
Was it sent in an email or something before the start? And also I would get in contact with other departments to see what’s up with that.
If you’re lucky and your accom is run by the uni, I would talk to them/email them. If not, still talk to your university about it because it seems unrealistic bc your maintenance loan is supposed to cover your living costs and stuff.

I don’t believe we do no, i called SFE and my attendance has not been confirmed neither has my registration, i tried to speak to student services at the university and they said it’s a 4 week assessment period and then the funds are released. I was told this on induction
Reply 4
Original post by Tania_122
I heard that sfe can be late sometimes so try not to worry about it unless it’s been a few days (1-3 days) after the induction.

Induction was 2 days ago, I was told this at induction by the university that the funds aren’t released for 1 month
Original post by stswiss
Induction was 2 days ago, I was told this at induction by the university that the funds aren’t released for 1 month

If you are comfortable sharing, which uni is this and where you advised about this before you signed up for the course?
Reply 6
Original post by normaw
If you are comfortable sharing, which uni is this and where you advised about this before you signed up for the course?

This is LCCM and no i was not told prior to induction, it was quite a surprise being told as it offset a lot of things.
Original post by stswiss
This is LCCM and no i was not told prior to induction, it was quite a surprise being told as it offset a lot of things.

Have you completed your registration at uni? Confirming registration allows for your maintenance loan to be paid into your bank. Confirming attendance is for the tuition fee to be paid to your uni. Is your uni refusing to do both or just the attendance?
Reply 8
Original post by normaw
Have you completed your registration at uni? Confirming registration allows for your maintenance loan to be paid into your bank. Confirming attendance is for the tuition fee to be paid to your uni. Is your uni refusing to do both or just the attendance?

Yes I completed my registration, they said our payments(maintenance ) won’t be released for 4 weeks to determine if we’re committed to the course
Reply 9
Original post by stswiss
Yes I completed my registration, they said our payments(maintenance ) won’t be released for 4 weeks to determine if we’re committed to the course

That is scary. I wish I could offer more advice on this but I genuinely don’t know what you can do. You can ask for help (parents or again directly at the uni) or apply for a hardship fund. That is absolutely ridiculous imo. I’m so sorry that you have to go through that. Like, the stress of uni is enough and right now really isn’t the time to be stressing about your living expenses when you’ve just entered uni. 🙁

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending