The Student Room Group

Oasis Overland - Trans Africa Expedition

Ive always wanted to take a gap year, but never had the guts or funds, but i want to take the plunge before its my last chance and i get into the world of work.
From this point where im £500 in my overdraft to 2010 where i need to save £6000 - £7000. Is it possible?
I really want to go on the Trans Africa trip run by Oasis Overland because ive always wanted to explore africa and i think it will be a great way celebrate my graduation (if i graduate lol).
Anyone else thinking of going on a trip run by these oasis people, or has anyone been? Id really like to hear from you guys :smile:

http://www.gapyear.com/plan/tours/africa/zimbabwe/1831

EDIT: Recalculated it and i need at least £8000-£9000. Im not prepared to give up this trip of a lifetime because of finances, but how will i afford this??? I know i can raise £6500 by 2010, and if i can find a job over summer i can potentially raise £7500. Any ideas how i can raise the rest?
I've been looking into Oasis aswell if I don't have the time to plan my own trip. They seem to be pretty well organised. Also check out Dragoman Overland

Where did the £8-9k figure come from by the way? Is the other £4.8k including livivng expenses for the 9 months? (and the "local payment" extras). I don't know the costs of day-to-day living in African countries but is it that expensive.

As for finances, how about doing one of their shorter trips (one way to Cape Town (http://www.oasisoverland.co.uk/truck_expeditions/africa/trans_africa/), and then doing voluntary work in one of the countries (for which you can get sponsorship/raise funds from family/friends)?? Kind of defeats the idea of a trans Africa I know but I'm having difficulty myself trying to figure out how to raise £5k in 6 months :o:
Reply 2
Haft_Hasht_Shish
I've been looking into Oasis aswell if I don't have the time to plan my own trip. They seem to be pretty well organised. Also check out Dragoman Overland

Where did the £8-9k figure come from by the way? Is the other £4.8k including livivng expenses for the 9 months? (and the "local payment" extras). I don't know the costs of day-to-day living in African countries but is it that expensive.

As for finances, how about doing one of their shorter trips (one way to Cape Town (http://www.oasisoverland.co.uk/truck_expeditions/africa/trans_africa/), and then doing voluntary work in one of the countries (for which you can get sponsorship/raise funds from family/friends)?? Kind of defeats the idea of a trans Africa I know but I'm having difficulty myself trying to figure out how to raise £5k in 6 months :o:

I worked out that it would cost roughly 8000-9000 for the trip/local payment, air travel back from Cairo, travel insurance, recommended spending money and excursions. Or have i just over estimated? :confused: I hope i have!!!!
Thanks for the other link, ill check them out :smile:
Reply 3
It looks a great trip, price looks OK as well, my only thought is
the duration: 10 months is a seriously longtime to be on 1 truck.

I assume that the trip is made up of a few shorter trips and people
will come and go as you travel, but I think you will want to spread your
wings after a few months so IMO you should re-think:

Egypt is a good start point for Africa as easyjet fly there, why not take
a 3 month overland trip starting in Cairo (with the option of another 3
if you like the way things are going - don't pay this bit in advance, pay on the road).

After 6 months you will be a seasoned backpacker and can hook-up with
other people and travel home independently.

Just my 002
Steve
Reply 4
I have read what people have wrote about the 10 month trip, and i think your right, it does seem like a long time, not only is it going to cost a bomb for ten months, if i get stuck with some people that i dont like or something, its gonna get awkward, So ive now decided to go on the 4 month trip from cairo to cape town, its going to be cheaper (ive over estimated about £6000 including everything), ill get the same out of it (all the excursions i wanted to go on are on this route) and i wont be so restricted with cash.
Reply 5
Oasis, Cairo to Cape town is 1300. Flights i thinkkk are about 700, spending money n insurance = 1000. 3000! go for that!
Reply 6
I am set on doing the Trans Africa trip, Morroco through to Egypt starting in March 09!!! I am sooo excited, and although I know there will be many setbacks I am still keen on the whole experience. To fund it I plan to sell my vehicle. My friend who is also planning on going is looking into taking out a personal bank loan. This is something I would recommend at least looking into, I would regret passing this oppurtunity up later in life even if it meant paying interest on a loan. If anyone decides to do the same trip email me, it sould be cool to 'meet' before departure!

Also a helpful hint: google travel blogs of the trans africa trip, or read the ones posted on the oasis site, I found a ton of useful information.

Latest