The Student Room Group

"Overpaid" by Student Finance.

I have received a letter that I have been "overpaid" by student Finance for my Maintenance Loan although I am not. The problem hear is that they want me to return their money now . If I don't return 4980 pounds now I have been told the following: " If you're continuing to study we'll try to recover your overpayment from any future payments." It doesn't specify what are those "any future payments" does it involve tuition fees as well? I am unable to contact Student Finance at the moment due to Covid 19 and this is really stressing me out. PLS HELP!!
Original post by Jozefina96
I have received a letter that I have been "overpaid" by student Finance for my Maintenance Loan although I am not. The problem hear is that they want me to return their money now . If I don't return 4980 pounds now I have been told the following: " If you're continuing to study we'll try to recover your overpayment from any future payments." It doesn't specify what are those "any future payments" does it involve tuition fees as well? I am unable to contact Student Finance at the moment due to Covid 19 and this is really stressing me out. PLS HELP!!

Hi there,

If it is true that they've paid you the incorrect amount and you owe the money back, you will most likely be able to arrange some kind of payment plan with them. I do not think that this money should be taken from tuition fees as they are counted as an entirely separate loan, paid directly to your institution. It appears to me that they would simply give you less of your maintenance loan in your next academic year.

Hope this helps, try not to stress too much - when you manage to get in contact with them I'm sure you'll be able to come to a reasonable agreement. :smile:

^Rose
Reply 2
Original post by Keele University
Hi there,

If it is true that they've paid you the incorrect amount and you owe the money back, you will most likely be able to arrange some kind of payment plan with them. I do not think that this money should be taken from tuition fees as they are counted as an entirely separate loan, paid directly to your institution. It appears to me that they would simply give you less of your maintenance loan in your next academic year.

Hope this helps, try not to stress too much - when you manage to get in contact with them I'm sure you'll be able to come to a reasonable agreement. :smile:

^Rose

Hi Rose,

Thank you very much! :smile:

Hi there, it doesn't involve tuition fee, it's a Maintenance Loan overpayment. There is nothing you need to do right now. If you plan to study again then the overpayment will be recovered from your future funding. If you do not plan on studying then you should give us a call after the pandemic is over so you can set up a payment plan. If you don't plan to study then it is important you set up a payment plan to avoid the debt being passed to a 3rd party debt collector.
Thanks, Isaac.
Reply 4
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi there, it doesn't involve tuition fee, it's a Maintenance Loan overpayment. There is nothing you need to do right now. If you plan to study again then the overpayment will be recovered from your future funding. If you do not plan on studying then you should give us a call after the pandemic is over so you can set up a payment plan. If you don't plan to study then it is important you set up a payment plan to avoid the debt being passed to a 3rd party debt collector.
Thanks, Isaac.

Hi Issac, thank you for your message. I do plan to study. I am doing an integrated masters course and I am currently in my 3rd year. I want to apply for a Tuition fee loan for my 4th year. I do not want to apply for the Maintenance Loan. For the previous years when I had to apply for the tuition fee loan, I had to send a signed form via post, but I can't find the form now online. Could you please send it here?
Many thanks,
Jozefina
Hi Issac, thank you for your message. I do plan to study. I am doing an integrated masters course and I am currently in my 3rd year. I want to apply for a Tuition fee loan for my 4th year. I do not want to apply for the Maintenance Loan. For the previous years when I had to apply for the tuition fee loan, I had to send a signed form via post, but I can't find the form now online. Could you please send it here?
Many thanks,
Jozefina

If you don't apply for a Maintenance Loan then you will have to call to set up a payment plan in the future.

Did you previously apply as a Migrant Worker? If you are now just looking to apply as an EU applicant then you can complete the EU20N paper form http://ow.ly/7u9n30qioFw
Thanks, Isaac.
Reply 6
If you don't apply for a Maintenance Loan then you will have to call to set up a payment plan in the future.

Did you previously apply as a Migrant Worker? If you are now just looking to apply as an EU applicant then you can complete the EU20N paper form http://ow.ly/7u9n30qioFw
Thanks, Isaac.

Hi Issac, thank you very much for your quick response. I do want to call Student Finance very much, but I am not able to do it now, because the call centres are closed. I think the link you have sent me is not for a continuing student. Should I just change it? Is EUPR1 a Form Continuing Students the right form for me?
Many thanks,
Jozefina
Hi Issac, thank you very much for your quick response. I do want to call Student Finance very much, but I am not able to do it now, because the call centres are closed. I think the link you have sent me is not for a continuing student. Should I just change it? Is EUPR1 a Form Continuing Students the right form for me?
Many thanks,
Jozefina

If you previously applied as a Migrant Worker and are now switching to EU funding then you need to send in the EUN new student form as your account will be transferred from SFE to EU.
Thanks, Isaac.
Reply 8
If you previously applied as a Migrant Worker and are now switching to EU funding then you need to send in the EUN new student form as your account will be transferred from SFE to EU.
Thanks, Isaac.

The form that you sent to me says that I need to send evidence to prove their identity/nationality. Does this apply to me?
The form that you sent to me says that I need to send evidence to prove their identity/nationality. Does this apply to me?

No the assessors shouldn't need to see your ID again as long as you are a returning student. It says this on the form because the form is for new applicants.
Thanks, Isaac.
Reply 10
No the assessors shouldn't need to see your ID again as long as you are a returning student. It says this on the form because the form is for new applicants.
Thanks, Isaac.

Is it a good idea to write a separate letter from the form specifying that I am a continuing student that needs to be transferred from SFE to EU and put it in the envelope?
Is it a good idea to write a separate letter from the form specifying that I am a continuing student that needs to be transferred from SFE to EU and put it in the envelope?

That would be good so whoever opens your envelope will understand your situation clearly.
Thanks, Isaac.
Reply 12
That would be good so whoever opens your envelope will understand your situation clearly.
Thanks, Isaac.

Ok, thank you. Do you think the fact that I have still not set a payment method for my Maintenance Loan might affect my Tuition fee loan eligibility for 4th year?
Reply 13
Thanks, Isaac.

There is this question on the form :
"Have you ever had any other loans from the Student Loans Company (SLC)? Yes No if ‘No’ go to c If ‘Yes’, are you behind with the repayments?"
There is this question on the form :
"Have you ever had any other loans from the Student Loans Company (SLC)? Yes No if ‘No’ go to c If ‘Yes’, are you behind with the repayments?"

Good morning, you should only tick yes if you have had a previous loan and you are behind on repaying.
Ok, thank you. Do you think the fact that I have still not set a payment method for my Maintenance Loan might affect my Tuition fee loan eligibility for 4th year?

No, your tuition fee loan is unaffected by your overpayment.

Thanks, Isaac.
Thanks, Isaac.

Hi, I received a letter like this at the end of the last academic year but they haven't specified how much i got overpaid, I have tried getting in contact with them but I couldn't get a hold of anyone, the one time I did, they wouldn't answer my question of 'how much was I overpaid'. At the start of this academic year for the first two terms I got no finance but then I was given money that added up to what I would have gotten in those first two terms in February. Regardless of this I have been told that the overpayment has been 'postponed' and I still owe it. So how do I find out how much I owe as I know I need to pay it back before I finish my course next year.
Original post by foleyartist
Hi, I received a letter like this at the end of the last academic year but they haven't specified how much i got overpaid, I have tried getting in contact with them but I couldn't get a hold of anyone, the one time I did, they wouldn't answer my question of 'how much was I overpaid'. At the start of this academic year for the first two terms I got no finance but then I was given money that added up to what I would have gotten in those first two terms in February. Regardless of this I have been told that the overpayment has been 'postponed' and I still owe it. So how do I find out how much I owe as I know I need to pay it back before I finish my course next year.

Hi there,

It would be best to access your account so we can check this. On Monday morning we'd recommend sending us a live chat on your account and one of our team will be able to help.

Or, you can call us today on 0300 100 0607: we're open til 4pm.

Thanks, Graeme

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending