The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

I'm a Uni of Kent Student - Ask Me Anything!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by C3nz13
Is it hard to get in?

Hey!
This is a really difficult question to answer as there are lots of factors involved! What course are you applying to? :smile: I can help break down the entry requirements for you and explain the application process in more detail.
Also, if you didn't get the grades required for the course you'd like to do, you can also apply to Kent through clearing. Clearing grades are typically lower than the entry requirements, however, there's not guarantee as to what courses will go into clearing each year.
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 21
Original post by StudentRep Annabel
Hey!
This is a really difficult question to answer as there are lots of factors involved! What course are you applying to? :smile: I can help break down the entry requirements for you and explain the application process in more detail.
Also, if you didn't get the grades required for the course you'd like to do, you can also apply to Kent through clearing. Clearing grades are typically lower than the entry requirements, however, there's not guarantee as to what courses will go into clearing each year.

Hey! I would be applying for a bachelors degree in business / management.
Hey :smile:
The closest accommodation to the bus stop is Keynes, and second closest is Turing (only an extra minute away), and the third closest is Eliot/Becket Court. The other accommodations on campus are still close to the bus stop, so if you didn't get these accommodation blocks, it wouldn't add much to your journey! :biggrin:

Thank you, this was very helpful.
Original post by C3nz13
Hey! I would be applying for a bachelors degree in business / management.

Awesome :smile:
While it is honestly impossible to answer how hard it is to get into a course (this is subjective as some people may find it easier to do well in their A-levels/meet entry requirements than others) I can break down the application process :smile:
The current entry requirements for BA Business and Management are BBC, and a C in GCSE Maths. Students who have done BTECs are also considered on a case by case basis.
If your grades (or predicted grades) meet the entry requirements you will be made an offer. If you are then able to meet these entry requirements on results day, your place will be confirmed. It is a simple as that :smile:
You can find out more information about the course on the course info page which I'll link here - BA Business and Management
Also, if you would like more information on how to apply, we also have a section for that on our website - How to Apply

I hope that this helps you understand the process, from this you should be able to see how easy/difficult it will be for you personally. Let me know if you have any other questions :biggrin:
Hi, my is Sahar and I'm not in Year 13 but in Year 12. I have been considering the University of Kent for awhile now to study Military History or History; I am really struggling with my decision as Kent is more than 150 miles away from my home and I'm worried about finances and whether I will be able to financially support myself at Kent as it is an expensive little city. So I guess my question is (and it's kind of personally sorry) did you find it easy to financially support yourself?I'm from derby so I'm very worried since I'll be ages away from my mum lol
Hi, my is Sahar and I'm not in Year 13 but in Year 12. I have been considering the University of Kent for awhile now to study Military History or History; I am really struggling with my decision as Kent is more than 150 miles away from my home and I'm worried about finances and whether I will be able to financially support myself at Kent as it is an expensive little city. So I guess my question is (and it's kind of personally sorry) did you find it easy to financially support yourself?

I'm from derby so I'm very worried since I'll be ages away from my mum lol
Original post by Saharidrees
Hi, my is Sahar and I'm not in Year 13 but in Year 12. I have been considering the University of Kent for awhile now to study Military History or History; I am really struggling with my decision as Kent is more than 150 miles away from my home and I'm worried about finances and whether I will be able to financially support myself at Kent as it is an expensive little city. So I guess my question is (and it's kind of personally sorry) did you find it easy to financially support yourself?

I'm from derby so I'm very worried since I'll be ages away from my mum lol

Hey Sahar :smile:
So pleased to hear you're considering studying at Kent! I also study History at Kent so if you have any questions about the History course (I did a couple Military History modules as well) then feel free to ask :smile:
I've had a few part time jobs while at uni to support myself, but I also took a gap year before I started which meant I was able to save up some money so I didn't have to work in my first year.
I worked part-time in a shoe shop in Canterbury in my second year, and I also helped with open days and applicant days on campus, although these aren't very frequent so not a super reliable source of income but definitely a good boost!
During my third year I joined the digital media team at Kent and I'm still doing that now, which has honestly been my favourite job! :biggrin: I was also a History outreach ambassador for a year too, which involved going into local schools to support GCSE and A-level history workshops.
There's lots of job opportunities at the university as well as in town. I've had a fair few jobs in my time at uni, with several of them overlapping. If you are able, look for jobs based on campus or jobs posted by the university as this can make everything a bit easier to fit around your workload :smile: Also, my jobs at the university have been some of the best I've had! There's a place on campus called JobShop too, so if you do come to Kent it's really worth checking out their website and signing up to their mailing list :smile: A lot of my friends had jobs at university too and as long as you find a job under 20 hours per week, it keeps it manageable alongside your course.
I hope that this helped! :biggrin:
Hi everyone,

As the title suggests, I'm a current student at the University of Kent and wanted to share my experience to help anyone looking to study at Kent :smile: I know these are tricky and uncertain times and I want to offer some reassurance and support so that you feel you can still make an informed decision on your university offers.

Also, if you're more interested in what the campus and accommodation is like, you can do virtual tours of our Canterbury and Medway campuses!
Virtual Tours

Ask me anything about Kent :biggrin:

hello! i was wondering if you could tell me about electives? so far the only thing i know is that some courses have electives whilst other courses don't. are electives like optional modules? and can you do electives on something completely unrelated to your course?
Original post by username3638712
hello! i was wondering if you could tell me about electives? so far the only thing i know is that some courses have electives whilst other courses don't. are electives like optional modules? and can you do electives on something completely unrelated to your course?

Hey :biggrin:
No problem! Electives (wild) modules are basically optional modules that you can do outside of your degree programme. For example, you could be doing a Psychology degree, but take an elective/wild module in Film. Not all degree programmes let you take these modules, so it is worth double checking if your course lets you do them before you decide :smile: Also, some courses will only let you take these modules in certain years of your study.
They are basically a chance for you to try something from a different course, and can be a great way to try new things without committing to doing a whole degree on that particular subject and also expand your knowledge.
There's an information page about elective modules on the University of Kent's website which also shows the types of modules that are available - Elective (wild) Modules
I personally didn't take any elective modules during my degree, but I know a lot of people who did!
I hope that this helps :smile:
Reply 29
Hi! I'm a year 12 student looking at the University of Kent. I just have a couple questions about what life is like on campus.
1. What made you choose the University of Kent? I know this is different for everybody, but I'm just curious.
2. What's the teaching style like? I've heard very mixed reviews.
3. When it comes to social life, what sort of things are there do to?
4. What are the societies like?
5. What's the accommodation like, and when (if at all) do you move out of school accommodation?
Thanks so much!
Original post by emma.fx
Hi! I'm a year 12 student looking at the University of Kent. I just have a couple questions about what life is like on campus.
1. What made you choose the University of Kent? I know this is different for everybody, but I'm just curious.
2. What's the teaching style like? I've heard very mixed reviews.
3. When it comes to social life, what sort of things are there do to?
4. What are the societies like?
5. What's the accommodation like, and when (if at all) do you move out of school accommodation?
Thanks so much!

Hey! Great to hear you're considering Kent! No problem, I'll answer your questions in order :smile:

1. There were 2 things that really made me pick Kent over other universities. First being the campus. When I applied to Kent I was coming from a different university and knew that I wanted that sense of community that a campus uni provides, and to have everything I need all in one place, which I didn't have at my previous uni. Kent definitely offers that, and the campus itself is really lovely! There are some beautiful views over Canterbury from the library and some of the accommodation and it literally had everything I could want :smile: There's a nightclub, cinema and gym all within about a 2 minute walk of each other, as well as loads of places to eat and drink. The second thing that really sold Kent to me, was the course. I'm studying History and because it is such a diverse subject, there are areas of history I definitely prefer to others. Kent's History course only had 1 compulsory module throughout the whole degree, so I could pick all my modules and tailor my degree to my interests which was great :biggrin:

2. It's hard to comment on the teaching style, as it differs between each course. What course are you looking to study? I have friends who do lots of different courses so I can get their opinions for you if they happen to be doing the same course :smile: For History though, I didn't have a problem! My course is a mixture of lectures and seminars, and I had a personal tutor who was always on hand to give me any additional help or guidance if I was struggling in a particular area.

3. There's quite a big range of things to do, both on and off campus :smile: On campus, as I already mentioned, there's a gym, cinema, theatre, nightclub, about 5 bars and loads of places to eat! My friends and I used to go to the bars on campus even when we moved into the city during our second and third years. If you wanted to get off campus, Canterbury also has loads of shops, restaurants, bars, pubs and clubs. There are also 3 other universities in Canterbury, so it gives the city a really nice student feel :smile: There's also the Cathedral and lots of beautiful gardens to have a wander through if you fancied some peace and quiet. The university is also only a few minutes away from the beach, and a bus goes directly from the university to Whitstable which is so fun in the summer. You can also hire bikes on campus and cycle to the beach along the cycle path from the uni to Whitstable. If you wanted to get out of Kent, you can get the high-speed train into London in less than an hour as well. There's loads of different things to do, and everything is super accessible too :biggrin:

4. There's honestly sooo many societies and sports clubs at Kent. There's really something for everyone :smile: I'd definitely recommend going to society taster sessions, for most societies, your first session is free so you can see if you like it! I tried out the baking society, yoga society, travel society and kickboxing society. You can see a full list of the societies on the Kent Union website which I'll link here - Kent Union Societies I'd really highly recommend joining a society if you do come to Kent, as it's such a good way to get really involved in student life and meet lots of new people :smile:

5. There's a big range of accommodation on campus, from en-suite flats to houses and catered flats. You can find a full list of accommodation and also some virtual tours on the website - Accommodation - Virtual Tours
I stayed in Turing flats and they're honestly so nice and modern! And some of the flats have some really beautiful views over Canterbury, and you can see the cathedral lit up at night. I'd also recommend Parkwood houses, a lot of them have been refurbished recently. But again, I really think there's accommodation options for everyone and every budget! Most accommodation contracts (such as mine in Turing) only required me to move out at the end of my first year. Some other accommodation blocks (Becket Court, for example) will ask you to move all of your things out during Christmas and Easter. You can check all this out on the accommodation website though :smile: In second and third year, most students then move into off-campus accommodation, although there is sometimes the option to remain on campus (I'd definitely recommend moving off campus though, that way you get to see more of Canterbury and experience a different side to student life)

I hope that this helped :biggrin: Always feel free to ask if you have any more questions or want to know more about anything I have mentioned!
Reply 31
Hey, Im currently a Year 13 Student that has firmed a conditional offer for a 4 Year Comp Sci course.Ive been wondering if there's been any news regarding changes to offers and requirements. Im mostly anxious of getting assigned grades that dont reach my condition.
Original post by pAutumn
Hey, Im currently a Year 13 Student that has firmed a conditional offer for a 4 Year Comp Sci course.Ive been wondering if there's been any news regarding changes to offers and requirements. Im mostly anxious of getting assigned grades that dont reach my condition.

Hey there!
I'm sorry to hear you're feeling anxious about your grades! I know that a lot of people are in the same position as you at the moment, and the university are definitely aware of how the pandemic can be affecting people's grades. I'm not aware of any official communications from the university about this but if there were to be, you would get an email and all updates are posted on the Applicants website.
But I want to reassure you that should you achieve slightly lower grades than the entry requirements, you are still in with a chance of being accepted :smile: This is something that happens relatively often across all universities, although it does depend on the number of applicants for each course. Either way, I wouldn't worry about this too much as a lot of people will be in a similar position to you :smile:
Sorry that I can't provide a more solid answer to reassure you, but I hope that this puts your mind at ease a bit! Best of luck :smile:
Reply 33
Hey! Great to hear you're considering Kent! No problem, I'll answer your questions in order :smile:

1. There were 2 things that really made me pick Kent over other universities. First being the campus. When I applied to Kent I was coming from a different university and knew that I wanted that sense of community that a campus uni provides, and to have everything I need all in one place, which I didn't have at my previous uni. Kent definitely offers that, and the campus itself is really lovely! There are some beautiful views over Canterbury from the library and some of the accommodation and it literally had everything I could want :smile: There's a nightclub, cinema and gym all within about a 2 minute walk of each other, as well as loads of places to eat and drink. The second thing that really sold Kent to me, was the course. I'm studying History and because it is such a diverse subject, there are areas of history I definitely prefer to others. Kent's History course only had 1 compulsory module throughout the whole degree, so I could pick all my modules and tailor my degree to my interests which was great :biggrin:

2. It's hard to comment on the teaching style, as it differs between each course. What course are you looking to study? I have friends who do lots of different courses so I can get their opinions for you if they happen to be doing the same course :smile: For History though, I didn't have a problem! My course is a mixture of lectures and seminars, and I had a personal tutor who was always on hand to give me any additional help or guidance if I was struggling in a particular area.

3. There's quite a big range of things to do, both on and off campus :smile: On campus, as I already mentioned, there's a gym, cinema, theatre, nightclub, about 5 bars and loads of places to eat! My friends and I used to go to the bars on campus even when we moved into the city during our second and third years. If you wanted to get off campus, Canterbury also has loads of shops, restaurants, bars, pubs and clubs. There are also 3 other universities in Canterbury, so it gives the city a really nice student feel :smile: There's also the Cathedral and lots of beautiful gardens to have a wander through if you fancied some peace and quiet. The university is also only a few minutes away from the beach, and a bus goes directly from the university to Whitstable which is so fun in the summer. You can also hire bikes on campus and cycle to the beach along the cycle path from the uni to Whitstable. If you wanted to get out of Kent, you can get the high-speed train into London in less than an hour as well. There's loads of different things to do, and everything is super accessible too :biggrin:

4. There's honestly sooo many societies and sports clubs at Kent. There's really something for everyone :smile: I'd definitely recommend going to society taster sessions, for most societies, your first session is free so you can see if you like it! I tried out the baking society, yoga society, travel society and kickboxing society. You can see a full list of the societies on the Kent Union website which I'll link here - Kent Union Societies I'd really highly recommend joining a society if you do come to Kent, as it's such a good way to get really involved in student life and meet lots of new people :smile:

5. There's a big range of accommodation on campus, from en-suite flats to houses and catered flats. You can find a full list of accommodation and also some virtual tours on the website - Accommodation - Virtual Tours
I stayed in Turing flats and they're honestly so nice and modern! And some of the flats have some really beautiful views over Canterbury, and you can see the cathedral lit up at night. I'd also recommend Parkwood houses, a lot of them have been refurbished recently. But again, I really think there's accommodation options for everyone and every budget! Most accommodation contracts (such as mine in Turing) only required me to move out at the end of my first year. Some other accommodation blocks (Becket Court, for example) will ask you to move all of your things out during Christmas and Easter. You can check all this out on the accommodation website though :smile: In second and third year, most students then move into off-campus accommodation, although there is sometimes the option to remain on campus (I'd definitely recommend moving off campus though, that way you get to see more of Canterbury and experience a different side to student life)

I hope that this helped :biggrin: Always feel free to ask if you have any more questions or want to know more about anything I have mentioned!

It did help, thank you so much!
I'm looking at doing Law, and I'm pretty intent on that. My only real question right now is where to apply. On the list right now are Cambridge, Durham, York, Kent and Lancaster.
Original post by emma.fx
It did help, thank you so much!
I'm looking at doing Law, and I'm pretty intent on that. My only real question right now is where to apply. On the list right now are Cambridge, Durham, York, Kent and Lancaster.

No problem :smile:
I have a few friends who study Law and from what they have told me they have had a great experience teaching wise. Also, because Kent has a moot room (sorry if my terminology is wrong, I don't know much about law), there's lots of opportunity to practise and also some have even taken on small cases during their undergraduate degree. Kent also have a Unibuddy programme if you did want to chat directly to someone studying Law at Kent to get more insight into what it is like :smile: I'll link it here - Unibuddy

Best of luck with your university decision, if you have any other questions about Kent at all, please feel free to ask :smile:
Hi! I’m thinking of applying to Kent for History. I’d love to get a student’s perspective of how the course is :smile:
Hey! Really weird question but I was wondering if you knew the colour of the walls in Block B for Turing Flats?? Trying to plan my colour scheme hahah
Hi everyone,

As the title suggests, I'm a current student at the University of Kent and wanted to share my experience to help anyone looking to study at Kent :smile: I know these are tricky and uncertain times and I want to offer some reassurance and support so that you feel you can still make an informed decision on your university offers.

Also, if you're more interested in what the campus and accommodation is like, you can do virtual tours of our Canterbury and Medway campuses!
Virtual Tours

Ask me anything about Kent :biggrin:

Hi, much appreciate the support you are offering here. I know it's an odd question, but do you have any idea if there is parking for the accommodation in Medway?
Hi Dylan,

No problem on the question, I have been based on the Canterbury Campus so am not 100%. I will ask our Medway Rep to get back to you with an answer if that's okay!

In the meantime feel free to check out the following link which may be able to direct you: https://www.kent.ac.uk/transport/byroad/student/index.html

Good luck! :smile:

Original post by Dylan7889
Hi, much appreciate the support you are offering here. I know it's an odd question, but do you have any idea if there is parking for the accommodation in Medway?
thank you! there is parking available on campus stated on the link, but its just the accommodation I need to find out lol, dont think I could go back to getting buses and taxis after 15 months of driving:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending