The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

I'm a Uni of Kent Student - Ask Me Anything!

Scroll to see replies

Hi , How much do you know about Darwin Collge ,is it a good place to to live ,What would you say is the best flat to live in.Thank you
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Hi do you know where I could get my books second hand
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by StudentRep Connie
Hey Tambarini,

Thanks for the question! So the Accommodation team have compiled a list of general things to bring with you to University including bedding, pots, pans and plates and towels (see here: https://www.kent.ac.uk/accommodation/medway/arrivals...).

However, a few students, me included, have given our top tips of things to bring to University which you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xLrIF4-_ek. These included slides/ slippers which make going to and from the bathroom (if shared) or kitchen a tonne easier (and more hygienic), plus card games to encourage social activities with your new housemates and lastly photos of your friends/family because its so important to feel as comfortable and at home as possible.

If you are looking into what to get for Uni/ specific to your accommodation, the University of Kent also works with UniKitOut who will deliver all your essentials to your new University room so you don't have to! This can make the moving in process super easy if you are an International student for example and are concerned about having your necessities accessible as soon as you move in. Naturally what you are required to bring will vary depending on if you are a catered or self-catered student (not requiring kitchen equipment), however if you have any specific requests for rooms for example please ask for more detail! 🙂

Personally I would recommend bringing your own laptop since this can make studying whenever you fancy more convenient - for example taking it to lectures, seminars or group meetings. While the library resources are fantastic and I would definitely recommend making full use out of them when you visit the library I am not entirely sure how COVID will impact rentals but feel free to check out their current offerings given the situation at the following link: https://blogs.kent.ac.uk/isnews/changes-to-templeman-library-services-covid-19/.

I have not taken a TV to University personally since a laptop has always been good enough for me. I do know a few people who have brought a monitor (for their computer if they take computer science for example) which can double up as a TV but in my experience a laptop or iPad type device has been sufficient.

I hope this helps!
Connie :smile:

No problem!

I suggest joining our freshers group on Facebook, I will attach the link below:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/KentFreshers20/

This is a great place to meet people who will be joining us at Kent in September.

The group allows freshers to figure out who will be studying their course and living in the same accommodation block as them. This has led to numerous group chats being created for each course and accommodation respectively. This is a great way to get to know your soon-to-be classmates and is how I made my friends when I first started university.

I hope this helps.

Connie

Thanks for your very helpful advice
Hi do you know which accommodation is closest to school of economics- Kennedy
Hi everyone,

As the title suggests, I'm a current student at the University of Kent and wanted to share my experience to help anyone looking to study at Kent :smile: I know these are tricky and uncertain times and I want to offer some reassurance and support so that you feel you can still make an informed decision on your university offers.

Also, if you're more interested in what the campus and accommodation is like, you can do virtual tours of our Canterbury and Medway campuses!
Virtual Tours

Ask me anything about Kent :biggrin:

Which is the closest accom to school of economics-Kennedy?
Original post by accountancyman
can a student who didn't apply for a placement year decide to do a placement year afterwards?

Hey there,

So I believe it will depend on your subject and occasionally I believe on your 1st year results, however this may vary depending on which school you attend in the University and which specific course since the terms may vary. I would recommend getting in touch with your school e.g. the Maths department if you are planning on taking a maths course as they will be able to best advise you.

But yes, generally even if you have not applied for a placement year course you could still be able to add the year onto your studies. The following link gives the information about the placement year scheme for prospective students, although focuses on the Humanities school - general ideas should still apply: https://www.kent.ac.uk/humanities/studying/placement/?tab=prospective-students.

I hope this has helped, if you wanted to give me more detail about the subject you are taking I can try and get you the relevant contact details.

Good luck,
Original post by Anonymous
Hiya! Not sure if this is a stupid question but we allowed to have other students/friends in our rooms? as I know some universities have strict no visitor policies in houses/flats.

Thanks so much for answering all our questions!

Hey there,

No stupid questions here! So if I am honest I cannot give you a definitive answer and if you are looking for one I would recommend sending an email to which accommodation you are in e.g. the Turing office if you are going to be living in Turing. But from my experience I had a visitor stay round on a few occasions, from what I remember the policy at the time was that they had to be signed in at the office in case of an emergency and I don't think they were allowed much longer than a night/few nights (I would recommend checking before!).

The only concern I would have is if the rules have changed due to Covid they may be less flexible on letting visitors stay, therefore if you are keen on having visitors (all of the above applies to overnight stay which I assume this is what you are referring to) I would recommend getting the approval from your housemates just to check they are okay with it and be respectful of space.

Sorry for not giving a more specific answer but I hope this helps!

Best of luck,
Original post by Liz_SEA
HI,

Are there any scholarships that we can apply during our second year?

Hi,

Good question, my honest answer is I am not entirely sure! Please find at the following link a list of all the scholarships available at the University of Kent: https://www.kent.ac.uk/scholarships/undergraduate.

I would imagine the scholarships would have to be applied for at the start of the first year of study as in many cases they cover the 3-4... years of your study, however like I say I am not necessarily sure if this is for all scholarships. I would recommend checking through any that would be relevant to yourself and you feel as though you qualify for and getting in touch with the panel as specified on the scholarship application and see if they can inform you.

Good luck with this, let me know if you have any further questions,
Original post by christianaA
Hi , How much do you know about Darwin Collge ,is it a good place to to live ,What would you say is the best flat to live in.Thank you

Hey ChristinaA,

Tavimba, a member of our Student Rep team lived in Darwin during her first year and I am sure she will be willing to share her experience with you and answer any questions you might have. I will send her a message and I'm sure she'll be happy to get back to you in the next few days!

For the meantime here are some Darwin Youtube videos which give you an idea of what the space looks like before Tav gives you the lowdown:
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kYvGUeEe7o
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7eFOSG0wfU

Thanks,
Original post by Louloud77
Hi do you know where I could get my books second hand

Hey there,

So there are a few options for you to consider, first we have a bookshop on campus which sells both new and second hand books. This is done through the buy-back scheme where the bookshop (Blackwells: https://blackwells.co.uk/bookshop/collection?cid=-186065) will, as the name suggests, buy books back from students and sell them at a second-hand price. If I remember correctly last year they had a scheme where they would sell any course book to you for the same price as they are sold on Amazon, a price match guarantee - I am not 100% this is still the case this year but the collection of books are catered to the courses on the campus and it can be a super convenient way of buying your books!

Alternately, I know a few of my friends managed to get their books for a reduced price by making friends with people in the year above and buying their old textbooks, or finding them on the Facebook Marketplace where typically students in the year above were selling their previous year textbooks. If done safely this can be a great way to buy books!

I also know some departments, Law comes to mind, has a textbook sale at the start of the year where previous students will donate their books or sell them at a specific table to make trading even more convenient.

I hope this has given you a few ideas you will be able to use.

Good luck,
Original post by suru student
Which is the closest accom to school of economics-Kennedy?

Hi Sure Student,

I would say Park Wood (which is the University's student village and has a great student feel) is closest since Kennedy which is next to Sibson (Kent Business School which I attended) is closest to Park Wood which is the furthest accommodation from central campus. Alternately Keynes or Turing both would not be too far and realistically a slow 10 minute walk you could reach Kennedy from most (if not all) accommodation options on campus.

I hope this answers your question,
Thanks, Connie :smile:
I got an offer from Kent and would like to know how the department is for international relations. Is the uni known for international relations ? How is the city ? I heard that it is really small and far away from London and that the Campus is also far away from the city centre ...
hey i wanted to know what the difference is between Tyler court A and B/C and how far is A away from other places on campus?
Hey there,

No stupid questions here! So if I am honest I cannot give you a definitive answer and if you are looking for one I would recommend sending an email to which accommodation you are in e.g. the Turing office if you are going to be living in Turing. But from my experience I had a visitor stay round on a few occasions, from what I remember the policy at the time was that they had to be signed in at the office in case of an emergency and I don't think they were allowed much longer than a night/few nights (I would recommend checking before!).

The only concern I would have is if the rules have changed due to Covid they may be less flexible on letting visitors stay, therefore if you are keen on having visitors (all of the above applies to overnight stay which I assume this is what you are referring to) I would recommend getting the approval from your housemates just to check they are okay with it and be respectful of space.

Sorry for not giving a more specific answer but I hope this helps!

Best of luck,

Hi Connie thank you so much you’ve actually been really helpful! :smile:
Hi Sure Student,

I would say Park Wood (which is the University's student village and has a great student feel) is closest since Kennedy which is next to Sibson (Kent Business School which I attended) is closest to Park Wood which is the furthest accommodation from central campus. Alternately Keynes or Turing both would not be too far and realistically a slow 10 minute walk you could reach Kennedy from most (if not all) accommodation options on campus.

I hope this answers your question,
Thanks, Connie :smile:

Thanks so much
what is Tyler Court A like?
Hi everyone,

As the title suggests, I'm a current student at the University of Kent and wanted to share my experience to help anyone looking to study at Kent :smile: I know these are tricky and uncertain times and I want to offer some reassurance and support so that you feel you can still make an informed decision on your university offers.

Also, if you're more interested in what the campus and accommodation is like, you can do virtual tours of our Canterbury and Medway campuses!
Virtual Tours

Do you know where I can get a part time job near the uni?
Hi everyone,

Virtual Tours

Hey, I’m not sure if you are still answering questions but I was wondering do you know anything about Bossenden court in parkwoods - has it recently been refurbished, are the rooms okay ???
Do you know where I can get a part time job near the uni?

Hi there,
If you're not yet in Canterbury I would recommend looking on Indeed.com and other job sites for openings. Once you move into university, a blot of the independent stores will have signs outside if they re recruiting so it would be worth going into town and looking around. Additionally, there is a job shop on campus that regularly posts job vacancies both on and off-campus.

I hope this helps!
what is Tyler Court A like?

Tyler court is a self-catered accommodation located a couple of minutes from the central campus. The halls are a good size and it is a great accommodation for socializing. I've added a link to the virtual tour below: https://www.kent.ac.uk/hospitality/virtual-tours/student/?/canterbury/accommodation/tyler-court

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending