The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

I'm a Uni of Kent Student - Ask Me Anything!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StudentRep Connie
Hi everyone,

As the title suggests, I'm a current student at the University of Kent and wanted to share my experience to help anyone looking to study at Kent :smile: I know these are tricky and uncertain times and I want to offer some reassurance and support so that you feel you can still make an informed decision on your university offers.

Also, if you're more interested in what the campus and accommodation is like, you can do virtual tours of our Canterbury and Medway campuses!
Virtual Tours

Ask me anything about Kent :biggrin:

Original post by lucyvato
thank you so so much this is so helpful and Kent sounds like a great university, I love the sound of every aspect of it. Thank you again for answering my questions, it means a lot 💗

Hi there,
I have a question about the campus tour.
It says that you will depart from the main entrance to The Gulbenkian.But I don't know where the main entrance/where we start the tour.
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Original post by YamsAreYams
Hi there,
I have a question about the campus tour.
It says that you will depart from the main entrance to The Gulbenkian.But I don't know where the main entrance/where we start the tour.

Hi there.

I'll do my best to explain. Gulbenkian is a large building located on the central campus. I've added an annotated map below to best illustrate this. The red highlighted building is Gulbenikan and the blue outline shows where the main entrance is located. If you are driving up; to campus, you will most likely be instructed to park in the Woolf car park (If you've been told to park in a different car park let me know and I will instruct you) From Woolf car park you would cross at the zebra crossing, turn right, then take your first left.

I have also included an interactive map for you to better gauge the location of the building.
https://www.kent.ac.uk/maps/canterbury/canterbury-campus/building/the-gulbenkian/gulbenkian-thea

I hope this helps if you have any more questions let me know. We look forward to meeting you

Thanks,
Connie:smile:
Original post by StudentRep Connie
Hi there.

I'll do my best to explain. Gulbenkian is a large building located on the central campus. I've added an annotated map below to best illustrate this. The red highlighted building is Gulbenikan and the blue outline shows where the main entrance is located. If you are driving up; to campus, you will most likely be instructed to park in the Woolf car park (If you've been told to park in a different car park let me know and I will instruct you) From Woolf car park you would cross at the zebra crossing, turn right, then take your first left.

I have also included an interactive map for you to better gauge the location of the building.
https://www.kent.ac.uk/maps/canterbury/canterbury-campus/building/the-gulbenkian/gulbenkian-thea

I hope this helps if you have any more questions let me know. We look forward to meeting you

Thanks,
Connie:smile:

Thank you for the help ! !😀
Do people actually also live on campus in their second and final year e.g. in Turing flats?
Please could you tell me how flexible are Kent? . I would really like to put it as my insurance but the grades are higher than my firm , which is Exeter ABB and Kent have offered AAB.
Original post by Anonymous
Do people actually also live on campus in their second and final year e.g. in Turing flats?

Hi there! yes- second and third year students have the option to return to campus accommodation but many prefer to live off campus with their friends, so they will usually share a house. Also, it is important for me to note that there is an exception with both Turing houses and Turing flats! Only freshers are allowed to live in Turing, but 2nd/3rd year students can apply to any other accommodation.

Sabrina
Please could you tell me how flexible are Kent? . I would really like to put it as my insurance but the grades are higher than my firm , which is Exeter ABB and Kent have offered AAB.

Hi there,

Are you able to talk to your school about this, perhaps with an academic advisor? Although Kent can be flexible, for example one of my course mates in History was meant to obtain BBB, she could only get BBC in her A-levels, yet due to a strong personal statement, was able to be expected. Also, usually it is advised that you put your second choice as insurance, thus the entry requirements should be lower than your first choice- thus I'd recommend to speak to your academic advisor and see what they say :smile:

Sabrina
Original post by StudentRep Canterbury
Hi there,

Are you able to talk to your school about this, perhaps with an academic advisor? Although Kent can be flexible, for example one of my course mates in History was meant to obtain BBB, she could only get BBC in her A-levels, yet due to a strong personal statement, was able to be expected. Also, usually it is advised that you put your second choice as insurance, thus the entry requirements should be lower than your first choice- thus I'd recommend to speak to your academic advisor and see what they say :smile:

Sabrina

Thanks Sabrina for your advice.
Exeter is definitely my first choice and I know I should really put a lower grades offer for my insurance but I really like Kent.
Will speak to my academic advisor.
Reply 88
Hello, I'm currently trying to choose which uni to go to (I want to study Ecology). What is the university like and the student life there? Do you like it? Are people friendly? Is it a nice place?Thank you :smile:
Hi, I have got an offer for Kent and have booked an applicant day. It is online though. Having never visited Kent before, is there a chance they will be doing applicant days in real life. Hopefully the online day will help me get a feel because that's what I will base my decision on
Original post by lorenn
Hello, I'm currently trying to choose which uni to go to (I want to study Ecology). What is the university like and the student life there? Do you like it? Are people friendly? Is it a nice place?Thank you :smile:

Hi there. I really do love it here! I have made amazing friends and thats down to the amount of societies there are here which enable you to meet so many people! Its a lovely place- we have a really big, green campus with lots to do, such as our own club, cinema and restaurants.

Sabrina:smile:
Original post by etienne26
Hi, I have got an offer for Kent and have booked an applicant day. It is online though. Having never visited Kent before, is there a chance they will be doing applicant days in real life. Hopefully the online day will help me get a feel because that's what I will base my decision on

Hi there- definitely join our virtual one as we will be part of a Q&A session about student life! We might be doing an in person applicant day- It will depend on government guid lines :smile:

Sabrina
Reply 92
Is teaching at Kent going to be online or on campus for the first semester?

Original post by StudentRep Medway
Hey again!

No problem at all, I'm glad I could be of assistance and that is great to hear about your accommodation offer. You must be very happy and excited for September!

Not to worry, I have had quite a few international students in the same situation wanting to plan their journey from the airport to the University Accommodation. I would recommend two different options depending on how much luggage you will have/ you feel you will be able to carry at any given time - plus how much money you are willing to spend.

1) If you think you could manage with the suitcases a train journey from Gatwick > London St Pancras International > Canterbury East > Unibus (these run very frequently and will be a 5 minute ride up to the University and just a short walk from the station) this would be the best public transport option. However if you have lots of suitcases this may be hard work for you. You can look at train planning, costs and booking at the following link: https://www.thetrainline.com

2) Alternately, getting a taxi from Gatwick Airport, for example, directly to the University may be slightly more expensive but will save you the hassle of travelling in and out of London with your luggage, although will be double the price around £90 from the one I found at the following link. https://www.airporttaxis-uk.co.uk/.../Canterbu.../Gatwick...

I hope this is helpful for you, please let me know if you would like any further advice.
Best luck,
Connie :smile:

Hi there,
There are number of options for traveling from gatwick to medway.
you may get train, but train are not direct so you may have to change couple of times, and this may not be convenient with carrying luggage (you may want to get price for train on national rails website)
Alternatively you may pre-book you taxi at this website https://gatwick-to-heathrow-transfer.co.uk/ they are very cheap and driver will alway pick you up from arrival area, you no hassle. there prices very minimal and service is amazing.
Reply 93
Original post by StudentRep Medway
Hi everyone,

As the title suggests, I'm a current student at the University of Kent and wanted to share my experience to help anyone looking to study at Kent :smile: I know these are tricky and uncertain times and I want to offer some reassurance and support so that you feel you can still make an informed decision on your university offers.

Also, if you're more interested in what the campus and accommodation is like, you can do virtual tours of our Canterbury and Medway campuses!
Virtual Tours

Ask me anything about Kent :biggrin:

Hiya!! I wish to attend Canterbury, but I feel like the Medway campus specifically looks nicer. Is it possible to live in Medway whilst still attending Canterbury? Or is that not possible? Xxx
Hello,

I was just wondering what the mental health support is like at Kent?
Also, do you have any advice for newbies just starting out? The thought of uni sounds like an amazing opportunity but it also sounds really nerve wracking

Thank you!
I hope you have a good rest of the week :smile:
Hi

Hello,

I was just wondering what the mental health support is like at Kent?
Also, do you have any advice for newbies just starting out? The thought of uni sounds like an amazing opportunity but it also sounds really nerve wracking

Thank you!
I hope you have a good rest of the week :smile:

Hi there,

Thanks for asking- its a great question! I personally have been supported really well mentally, especially this year with the University offering counselling and alternative therapies such as meditation classes. Kent has a dedicated Well-being team. Here is there website if you want to look:
https://www.kent.ac.uk/guides/wellbeing

In terms of starting Uni and it feeling nerve wracking as you said, its completely normal and natural to feel that way! My biggest advice is to remember most (if not all) people feel that way so you are all in the same boat. Join lots of societies and you will make friends in no time. And its okay if you don't make your life-long friends right away, it can take months and that normal : )

Good luck with everything

Sabrina
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by KeiaraP
Hiya!! I wish to attend Canterbury, but I feel like the Medway campus specifically looks nicer. Is it possible to live in Medway whilst still attending Canterbury? Or is that not possible? Xxx

Hi there, you can certainly apply for accommodation at Medway, and depending on the demand, you may be given a room. However, if not, you can apply to private housing and live with other students-off campus. There is a free bus that goes from and to Canterbury to Medway daily. Just to let you know though, Canterbury itself and its campus is bigger.

Good luck :smile:
Sabrina
Reply 97
This might be a bit niche but how do you enrol into the Moodle modules, it keeps asking for an enrolment key as I try to enrol for the “Prepare for Law” module but not once have I been shown a key? Any help?
For background I have applied for higher Student Finance but I don't know if I will be able to receive it ( I will now in 6 weeks) because my home situation is complicated.

The student accommodation I want to apply for is an en suite but I don't know if I would be digging my own grave at this point.

So... would I be an idiot if i applied for an en suite before knowing if I am accepted for the full amount of student finance?
For background I have applied for higher Student Finance but I don't know if I will be able to receive it ( I will know in 6 weeks) because my home situation is complicated.

The student accommodation I want to apply for is an en suite but I don't know if I would be digging my own grave at this point.

So... would I be an idiot if i applied for an en suite before knowing if I am accepted for the full amount of student finance?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending